Issue! com.android.phone - Force Close

maven1975

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I am running my SG2 Vanilla and have had nothing but trouble on AT&T with thee phone app. I just converted over from an iPhone and would appreciate any input on this issue as I have not been in the Android world long enough to understand what the issue is.

Huge thanks in advance!

geekaren

Dec 13, 2009
Visit site
I'm also using SGS2 on AT&T but haven't experienced problems using the phone app.

You may want to consider doing a factory reset -- will delete all of your data but should resolve the phone app problem. (Settings > Privacy > Factory Data Reset)

Be careful about re-adding new apps after the reset, to ensure you're not installing a market app that creates a conflict for the phone app.

maven1975

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm also using SGS2 on AT&T but haven't experienced problems using the phone app.

You may want to consider doing a factory reset -- will delete all of your data but should resolve the phone app problem. (Settings > Privacy > Factory Data Reset)

Be careful about re-adding new apps after the reset, to ensure you're not installing a market app that creates a conflict for the phone app.

Thanks for the reply. i have not added any applications besides Facebook and a few games from the hub. I have done a factory restore and still have the issue.

Does AT&T need to provision the phone?

geekaren

Dec 13, 2009
Visit site
hmmm.....

I don't think the phone would need to be provisioned by AT&T. All I did to use my SGS2 was to move my AT&T sim from my Infuse over to the SGS2.

A few options:
A) You could ask AT&T to replace your sim card. (I don't think it will help, but can't hurt! :)
B) You could upgrade your SGS2 firmware to XWKE7. Here's an xda-developers.com thread providing links to updated SGS2 firmware and link to software you'd use to flash it (Odin):
xda-developers - View Single Post - [ROM + Guide]Official i9100 KDD/KE1/KE2/KE7 download for Odin Flash and Root Guide.

You can find your firmware version in Settings > About.

I successfully flashed my SGS2 firmware to XWKE7 (it arrived with XWKE2). If you decide to go that route, probably best to post any questions to that thread (I'm no expert, I just followed the directions to a T)

maven1975

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Well, I called AT&T and they took the iphone plan off and updated the information. The phone still had issues and I was able to track down the problem to two specific contacts.

I merged the contacts together and bam, I was able to call them. It looks like the social hub caused issues with these contacts.

However, after AT&T did their magic, the phone would not ring. It would go straight to a message stating that the ATT subscriber you are trying to reach is unavailable! Got back on the phone with att and they tried a bunch of different stuff. I tracked down the issue to when they reset the phone, the device changed the phone setting to ignore all calls!

So finally, the ATT rep was able to contact me on the device. Yea! But before disconnection, she wanted to point out that unlimited data for this device is being offered for $10 per month. She asked if I wanted this and I said hell ya!

I guess the hassle was worth the time. Anyone want to advise me to the unlimited data for $10. Obviously im not going to go crazy, and have kept under 2GB's, but is there anything I could do to raise suspicion or a flag to me having this?

maven1975

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Thought I had the issue licked.

But the problem persists today. This time the phone app crashes, and the network dies. (No signal or Data)

Wow, I thought for sure Android would have these issues worked out by now.

This thing will be marked for sale in the next 24 hours if I cant figure it out.

What a shame.

chestvrg

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
Thought I had the issue licked.

But the problem persists today. This time the phone app crashes, and the network dies. (No signal or Data)

Wow, I thought for sure Android would have these issues worked out by now.

This thing will be marked for sale in the next 24 hours if I cant figure it out.

What a shame.

Why don't you contact Samsung or the site where you bought it from and see if you can get a replacement? I'm sure it is still under warrantee and most companies like expansysUSA wil send you a replacement unit with a RMA (Return Merchandise Authorization) label and maybe it's just a defective unit.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

mfriedman79

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
I would definitely follow up with Samsung or the store you bought it from. I am using this on AT&T as well and have not had any issues with the phone app crashing at all. I do see the occasional data stall, but my guess is that has been fixed in a newer firmware or will be soon as its likely a Samsung issue.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie