SGS2 and AT&T Questions Thread - I have A lot of questions!!

angieutc

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Howdy,

Full disclosure - I plan to cross post this thread of different Android forums, so don't get irritated with me!

A little back story - I've been an Iphone owner since the beginning and truly love the Apple ecosystem. However, I started to get downright bored with the phone and the restrictions placed upon it. I'm sorry but if you are not "allowed" to even custom change your SMS tone what does that say? Plus....I have an Ipad :)

Now, I have the Samsung Infuse (AT&T) and I love it. However, I one that likes to have the latest and greatest and am willing to pay the money for it. Also, if I am going to be locked into AT&T for at least 2 years, I want a phone that is future proof. Now, I know the Galaxy S2 is suppose to come out soon, however, I am currently in my 30 day window and may not be able to wait that long. Therefore, my plan is to by the Galaxy S2 while I still keep my Infuse and test them both over the next 30 days.

With that said, I have a couple of questions:

1. I'm live in TN, so of course I will be buying unlocked to use on AT&T. What do I have to do to make the Galaxy work? Can I just put my current sim card into that phone?

2. What are the downsides to buying a phone unlocked? Who takes on the responsibility if something happens to it? I do plan to buy insurance.

3. Which vendor would you buy from? I'm leaning towards Amazon but am open to other options.

4. Have any of you all done a test drive as I plan to do but sent back because you didn't want? Will the company take it back?

5. Should I expect to have the same fast speeds with the S2 as I have now with the Infuse? or will there be a downgrade in service because it's unlocked?

6. S2, Infuse, or Iphone....that is the question?????

7. MOST IMPORTANT - How is call quality and GPS functionality. I need both to be on point.

9. Any app incompatibility issues with the phone? Gingerbread?

Thank you all soooooooooooo kindly for helping me. I appreciate it from the bottom of my heart.

Broheemster

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Howdy,

Full disclosure - I plan to cross post this thread of different Android forums, so don't get irritated with me!

A little back story - I've been an Iphone owner since the beginning and truly love the Apple ecosystem. However, I started to get downright bored with the phone and the restrictions placed upon it. I'm sorry but if you are not "allowed" to even custom change your SMS tone what does that say? Plus....I have an Ipad :)

Now, I have the Samsung Infuse (AT&T) and I love it. However, I one that likes to have the latest and greatest and am willing to pay the money for it. Also, if I am going to be locked into AT&T for at least 2 years, I want a phone that is future proof. Now, I know the Galaxy S2 is suppose to come out soon, however, I am currently in my 30 day window and may not be able to wait that long. Therefore, my plan is to by the Galaxy S2 while I still keep my Infuse and test them both over the next 30 days.

With that said, I have a couple of questions:

1. I'm live in TN, so of course I will be buying unlocked to use on AT&T. What do I have to do to make the Galaxy work? Can I just put my current sim card into that phone?

2. What are the downsides to buying a phone unlocked? Who takes on the responsibility if something happens to it? I do plan to buy insurance.

3. Which vendor would you buy from? I'm leaning towards Amazon but am open to other options.

4. Have any of you all done a test drive as I plan to do but sent back because you didn't want? Will the company take it back?

5. Should I expect to have the same fast speeds with the S2 as I have now with the Infuse? or will there be a downgrade in service because it's unlocked?

6. S2, Infuse, or Iphone....that is the question?????

7. MOST IMPORTANT - How is call quality and GPS functionality. I need both to be on point.

9. Any app incompatibility issues with the phone? Gingerbread?

Thank you all soooooooooooo kindly for helping me. I appreciate it from the bottom of my heart.

I think question 6 is the most important question personally and being the person you are, based on what you said, you're going to want that GS2 in the end no doubt. Also you are concerned with having unsurance/responsibilty for your phone. I would say take back the infuse while you still can and tough out the wait for a tad bit longer .... We're all waiting and the end of the tunnel is so close. This way you will have insurance and local support whether it's over the phone or in person and can even have your device swapped out on the spot. If you go this almost all of your questions you listed will be wiped off the board and won't apply :) The choice is ultimately yours though so I'm sure all your questions will be answered, should you decide to go the unlocked route.

chestvrg

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
On question no. 6 I would go for the GSII, since I got mine two days ago, I'm so happy with this device and I tell you that the iPHone4 would not be a good option b/c the iPhone 5 will be out soon and if you want the latest technology (now), the Galaxy S II is the best bet.

The Infuse 4G, well, it comes with all the at&t bloatware and their own ROM which puts a lot of limitations on an android device, while the GSII is completely unlocked, non-contract and you can take advantages of all of its functionalities.

Good luck in making the right decision

Last edited:

charles777

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Hi there !

I've owned my GSII for 2 weeks now and it is a beast... super fast and the screen is gorgeous. Here in Belgium, all phones are unlocked so they work on any carrier anywhere. GPS and call quality is great... no problems at all... call quality will always depend on your carrier though. Here, signal is strong so never had any dropped calls and call volume is high and clear. I also hesitated before going for it... I had an old iPhone 3G for 4 years before it gave up the will to live :) Ultimately, it was all the great reviews, the larger screen and Flash support that convinced me and I have no regrets. I've gotten some jealous looks from colleagues at work with iPhone 4s :D

Hope this helps !

chestvrg

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
I also love mine. I had been also a previous owner of two iPhone4 (one completely factory unlock), but I like the fact on the SGII that it can play all this HQ videos streams, I have been uploading my pictures and videos on my GSII and can not be happier. I'm on at&t network in USA and it is 100% compatilbe on HSPA+ and I'm getting down speeds of like 6.8Mbps, faster than my previous iPhone 4. :)