Have had my GS2 for a few days now and want to root. I previously had a Nexus One that I rooted and enjoyed custom ROMs.

There are various threads on XDA providing root techniques. I've read all that I can find and still have questions. Unfortunately, I don't have enough posts on xda to post in the development forum and I'm hoping someone here knows the answers.

My GS2's firmware and kernel info are as follows:

PDA: I9100UHKE2
    PHONE: I9100UKKE2
    CSC: I9100UUBKD1

I know that I can flash an insecure version of the KE2 kernal via Odin to root using one of the techniques on xda - Chainfire's or Intratech's.

Can I use Odin to flash a more recent stock firmware - say the generic UK KE7 - without rooting?

If I do, would I then flash the insecure kernel from that firmware to root?

Once I root - using either kernel - will I be able to flash CM7 when it's released?

Sorry for the noob questions. This is a bit more complicated than just unlocking the bootloader, rooting and using ROM Manager with the Nexus!

Thanks.

Rob
    Can I flash a version of one of the more recent kernels, such as the UK generic KE7
    06-29-2011 09:28 AM
    bit of a noob myself, I'm trying to root my phone but I have failed to do so using rooting software such as SuperOneClick and S2root. SuperOneClick freezes at a certain point each time and S2root doesn't detect my device saying device not connected. I don't know if you know of any other rooting programs that can successfully root my SGS2, it's doing my head in!
    07-12-2011 12:30 PM
    bit of a noob myself, I'm trying to root my phone but I have failed to do so using rooting software such as SuperOneClick and S2root. SuperOneClick freezes at a certain point each time and S2root doesn't detect my device saying device not connected. I don't know if you know of any other rooting programs that can successfully root my SGS2, it's doing my head in!
    I ended up using Chainfire's method on xda. [11.07.2011][CF-Root v4.0] KE2/7/8, KF1/2/3/4, KG1 - su+bb+CWM4 - xda-developers Worked like a charm. Running generic Euro KE7 rooted.
    07-12-2011 03:47 PM
    I ended up using Chainfire's method on xda. [11.07.2011][CF-Root v4.0] KE2/7/8, KF1/2/3/4, KG1 - su+bb+CWM4 - xda-developers Worked like a charm. Running generic Euro KE7 rooted.
    okay how is the custom ROM does it run faster smoother (is it optimized much better) than official ROM's?
    07-13-2011 05:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD