I have a new Galaxy II S phone purchased and used successfully in Korea with local (Korean SIM) and AT&T 3G SIM from my blackberry.

I just returned to the US and back at my home and the phone seemed to work just fine on AT&T except I can't get a phone signal anywhere near my house. Normally, you'd think this is a coverage problem but I've been using AT&T in and around this house for 3-4 years, my blackberry (same SIM) and 3 Iphones all work right next to the Galaxy.

My question is this, are there any configuration setting that need to be done on the phone and/or with the carrier for me to successfully use this phone? I don't think it's an equipment defect or a signal problem but being new to Android and this phone I'm not sure where to turn.
    06-30-2011 03:55 AM
    As guess. I would check you roaming and data settings. Being that it is a phone not native to the US it can have setting that are not a custom yet. Try making sure packet data is on and check your network operators settings under "Mobile Network."

Hope this helped.
    06-30-2011 08:41 AM
    How strange, mine works just fine and I'm also on at&t. I bought mine from the expansysUSA's website. Where did you buy your, in S. Korea? And if so, was it the unlocked version or a local carrier version?

Sent from my GT-I9100
    06-30-2011 09:26 AM
    I purchased it in Korea at the Samsung store. According to them, as of the G2 they are all unlocked and work on the NA and Canada market. I'm pretty clueless on this one and why it's not working properly. I've checked the above and everything appears correct.
    06-30-2011 05:04 PM
    Wao, that is very strange. You should call Samsung Cust. Srvcs and see if they can perhaps send you a replacement unit.

A "Samsung Store", just like an "Apple Store" they have in Korea (wao), wish I could walk into one of those

I have some little issues with mine, such as registering social hubs on my GSII, it keeps telling me connection failed although everything else is connected ans it's on H+, but is no big deal with me b/c I use my gmail account for push email notifications.

I hope you get to solve this issue.
    06-30-2011 06:12 PM
    Same issue. Bought a Galaxy S II. No logos except a T Mobile logo (just the T, no words) on boot up. After booting, it just shows the circle with a line across indicating no network found. Even when I go into settings and have it search nothing changes. Doesn't appear to be a SIM locking issue otherwise I think I'd get the error message. Is it possible that AT&T is blocking certain IMEIs? Very odd.
    07-02-2011 01:02 PM
    I would go into an ATT store, get a new SIM and make sure your data plan is provisioned correctly.
    07-04-2011 07:23 AM
    I would go into an ATT store, get a new SIM and make sure your data plan is provisioned correctly.
    Got new SIM at an AT&T store. Once in, the phone could see the AT&T network but barely had a signal, made one call successfully, then dropped the network and would not reconnect. Wondered if the radio bands were locked to a Euro variety so used Android codes and tried to select USA bands, but nothing I did had any effect. Returning the phone.
    07-04-2011 02:04 PM
    This definitely seems to be a defective unit and yes you should ask for an exchange or they should completely give you a 100% refund.

About the band that you suspect the frequencies were locked to European bands, that can't be b/c the Galaxy SII ships with just one variant only, which has 850/1900/2100Mhz and I believe 900Mhz, unlike the first Galaxy S which shipped in two variants: GT-I9000M (850/1900Mhz and at&t compatible) and GT-I9000T(2100/900Mhz European compatible) if I'm not mistaking. The Galaxy SII is just the GT-I9100 and covers all those bands, 850/1900/2100/900Mhz, including at&t's 3G bands.

I hope you can get it exchanged for a good unit. I'm on at&t and have had no issues since I got my GSII and I hope it stays that way good luck.

Sent from my GT-I9100
    07-04-2011 02:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD