speck candyshell or otterbox commuter?

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
very snug fit, easy as pie putting on and taking off. I almost broke commuter getting it off. Seems it puts a ton of stress on side buttons when taking on or off. Almost 9/16ths thick. IMO Otterbox failed as far as buttons go.

this message brought to you by my GalaxyS3

I do hope the hard plastics hinges hold up for these Seidio active x cases. I think that they make them to thin and they tend to break after awhile from either drops or being in your pocket with fitted/tight jeans. They should make them wider so they can withstand breaking better.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Admittedly, the Commuter buttons are a bit stiff. Once I installed the case, I finessed the buttons as well as the case until you hear a slight click. After a week, the play in the buttons got better. The only reason that I don't have it now is due to the fact that I was waiting for my Defender to arrive. I personally prefer not to put phones in my pocket. Then, adhesive screen protectors become necessary even with GG2 and no matter how well you install them, they become discolored and peel up. The Defender has a non-adhesive screen protector and the holster doubles as a kickstand.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy S III Handheld Device

jlh73

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
I have the black commuter case and love it. I'm waiting for the white and gray to come out then I'm getting that one. I think they look good and not so flashy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Funkpod

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I just looked at a Speck Candy Shell at a store and was super impressed with how thin the case was. Not the most protective, of course, but if you want decent protection for everyday use, this is a case to consider.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-6

piratelax91

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
I have the speck and can say for sure that while it is thinner and lighter than the Otterbox it is still hella thick...whenever I take my phone out to clean I realized how slim the phone is. Would probably be better off with a case like the Ringke from Rearth but if you dont mind the bulk the Candyshell has super responsive buttons and will suffice for protection. Unless your Bear Grylls no need for the Otterbox lol

Funkpod

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I have the speck and can say for sure that while it is thinner and lighter than the Otterbox it is still hella thick...whenever I take my phone out to clean I realized how slim the phone is. Would probably be better off with a case like the Ringke from Rearth but if you dont mind the bulk the Candyshell has super responsive buttons and will suffice for protection. Unless your Bear Grylls no need for the Otterbox lol

i guess it's a matter of perspective. i was just saying how "thin" i thought it was. sure, it's not a thin-thin-case, but it depends on what kind of protection you want.

i look at case protection in this sort of hierarchy...

lowest
1. nothing, naked
2. sticker skin, invisible shield, etc.
3. thin plastic case, ringke, seidio invishield, etc.
4. tpu cases
5. speck candyshell (rubber insides, not silicone, built in) type cases
6. incipio dualpro, acilicrylic (silicone insides, slightly thicker) type cases
7. otterbox commuter?
8. otterbox defender?
9. ???
highest

you sacrifice drop protection, but you have a slimmer profile. depends on what you do.
for me, for my lifestyle, the highest i'll go is 5 or 6.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Not willing to sacrifice protection. Commuter served a great transition protection to my Defender. Let's be clear. The GS3 is wider and longer than most smartphones so cases will add a certain amount of perceived and real bulk to the device. Having dropped a few phones and not wanting the unsightly dings, I will always err on the side of protection.

Funkpod

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Not willing to sacrifice protection. Commuter served a great transition protection to my Defender. Let's be clear. The GS3 is wider and longer than most smartphones so cases will add a certain amount of perceived and real bulk to the device. Having dropped a few phones and not wanting the unsightly dings, I will always err on the side of protection.

i guess that's something that's a personal choice for everyone. i found out the hard way why i don't usually carry a phone without a case. i'm super careful w/ my phones, but accidents happen, because they are unexpected. i was texting, and holding my phone securely, until my son bounced this huge ball into me, knocking the phone out of my grasp into the concrete... 3 gashes in the silver part of the phone. only cosmetic damage, but it's there. some people only rock invisible shield, but that's too risky for me, i drop stuff. i need a case.

if you got little kids like me, you need a case! kids are ROUGH ;)

Larry Pager

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site

I'm looking at the Speck and have some questions...

1- How difficult is it to remove the case? I like to wipe it down every other day to avoid crud scratching up the phone.

2- Has this scuffed up the phone?

I'm also looking at the commuter as well. I hate buying cases because I can never find "the one" and end up getting two or three over time. Part of me thinks I should just buy both. The commuter doesn't seem to be so bulky on the youtube videos I've seen.

Larry Pager

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
I'll tell you guys which one in a few days.

I went to my local VZ store and they had the commuter only in black for $49.99 :eek:

So I went to Amazon and picked up a white Otterbox commuter for $23.31.
AND
a malachite/gray (the funky green) Speck Candyshell for $26.57. Right now if you buy from amazon, there is a $3 coupon off, the original price is $29.57.

Throw in the free shipping and it's $49.88... God I love amazon.

Reactions: Funkpod

donmeca2020

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I myself just ordered two cheapy cases, one hard plastic graffic case and one gameboy case from Amazon. these will hold me over until the Otterbox commuter in the Nightsky color comes out. as for otterbox in general, they are the way to go if you want protection for your phone. that speck case from what i see in some pics, looks just like a regular TPU case to me, and i dont believe will provide the protection one looks for.

I myself think that speck case is mostly for looks and mild protection. remember it all depends on what kind of phone protection your looking for

Red Android

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
So at this point its safe to say that the otterbox offers more drop protection than the candyshell? Does the candyshell offer any drop protection compare to those cheap $9 cruzerlite tpu? All i want is drop protection.

Funkpod

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
So at this point its safe to say that the otterbox offers more drop protection than the candyshell? Does the candyshell offer any drop protection compare to those cheap $9 cruzerlite tpu? All i want is drop protection.

The Speck will offer more stop protection than an only tpu case, imo. It has a hard plastic shell and a rubber liner.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-6

Red Android

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
Please see the drop test video for which I posted a link in a previous post above.

Yeah i saw the otterbox drop. No question about it otterbox offers great drop protection. I still havent seen a drop test with the s3 in a candyshell case. I wonder how much thicker the otterbox is compared to the candyshell?

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
No doubt that most cases will be more slim than the Commuter or Defender. While adding more depth, the Defender still fits in most pockets. The Commuter definitely fits in the pocket with no issues.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy S III Handheld Device

Larry Pager

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
Got my glacier otterbox commuter and malachite/grey candyshell, both bought on amazon.com

Quick reviews

Otterbox Commuter- $23.31
Style
- It looks nice, but compare it to the candyshell? It's busted. But this is all about protection, so it's nice. I can think of several thinner cases that are ugly compared to the Otterbox. The white case goes with white phone, I like the pure look of it.

Bulkiness
- Not bad. I was expecting worse from otterbox.

Pocket test
- Suprisingly, it slid in and out of the pocket without issues.

Case outer texture
- If you think the phone itself is slippery (I didn't), wait until you get this. Thank God this is made by otterbox, huh?
- Scratches? It's got a textured outer shell so it looks fine so far. Fingerprints are not an issue. Besides, it's an otterbox, it's like a Jeep- nobody is gonna laugh at you if you got some mud on it.

Case inner texture
- it's so soft and smooth, I don't worry about scuffing the phone. It soothes my OCD tendencies.

Buttons
- Do you really need to be Hulk to use the buttons? No- work smarter, not harder.
- I noted that the coverings on both buttons don't exactly line up with the buttons. You can put the phone a vice and crush it before turning it on. The trick is to push the rubber button up toward the screen and then press in. It requires more pressure, yes, but you don't need to workout. I suspect after putting it on and off a few times, that since the silicone inner sleeve is so soft and flexible, maybe positioning the button prior to putting on the outer cover may result in a better fit over the buttons.

Ease of taking on/off the cover
- It's easy to put on. It requires some strength to put the final button in. But nothing too serious.
- It's easy to take off. I start at the bottom corner where the back capacitive button is, work up on that side, get the power button out of the hard shell, then lift off the top corner. Then it's easy breezy from there.

Speck CandyShell- $26.57
Style
- This is one good looking case. The Malachite/gray is more green- it's funky and I like it. Really, more S3 cases need to step up the design aspect.

Bulkiness
- It feels slimmer. Surprisingly, when I put them side by side, the difference isn't as great as you think it would be.

Pocket test
- A shock outcome here- the rubber bits at the corner? They are a bit sticky so don't easily go into the pocket. It's not like if the corners are super glue, but annoying.

Case outer texture
- It's shiny, but I feel like it is not as slick as the otterbox.
- Even after just playing with it for awhile, I noticed a small scratch. But hey, better the case than the phone. It also picks up fingerprints more.

Case inner texture
- Not as smooth as the otterbox. I worry a bit about scuffs on this one.

Buttons
- These look like they line up good.
- And they do. The buttons work like if the phone had no case.

Ease of taking on/off the cover
- It's not as easy to put on since the hard/soft shell are all combined into one compared to the otterbox. In terms of force used, it's a few degrees less than putting the phone + soft case onto the outer case of the otter box
- Taking it off? Let me put it this way. The case comes with "removal instructions". Basically have the bottom of the phone facing up, screen facing you and "just" use your thumbs to pop out both corners. Uhmm... no. I had to get a bit macgyver in here. I could barely pop out one corner, so once I had one corner bulge out, I wedged in a playing card in while I worked on the other end. After a few times, I got my technique down. Give me a 3 of diamonds and I can take the phone out quick. It looks like the soft gray lip on the bottom corners are not as deep.

If you have to buy one?
You'd think the Otterbox would be the pain in the ass, plaid-shirt wearing, hungry-man eating case with the "if you dont benchpress 350, don't bother turning the screen on with the side button". And it is, but the case is easier to take off, it's smoother to put in/take out of your pocket, the inner silicone sleeve is softer than the Speck's, and it's not that much bulkier. You think Otterbox is all about practicality, but one area where they drop the ball is the slickness of the outer shell and the buttons. C'mon if you're gonna make an ugly case, make it work! It's like a Jeep with racing tires instead of off-roading tires. But the Otterbox was surprisingly refined in some aspects.

The Speck pretty much is what I thought it would be- a very pretty case with some functional flaws- the difficulty taking the case out, the ease of scratches appearing of the outer shell, and maybe it's me being OCD, but the concern that since the rubber isn't as soft, I might scuff the phone if I let too much crude build up overtime. But it looks great.

I can't say one is better than the other one. Neither one pulls ahead of the other one overall for me to recommend one. Ultimately you pick which one you want based on what each company is known for. If you want style- go with the candyshell. If you want protection, go with otterbox. I see cases as more of a style accessory so I'll use both- I can see myself getting bored with the white and wanting the funky green and vice versa. Overall, no regrets with either case. Especially as I was able to get two for the price of one otterbox at my Verizon store.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay