Best Galaxy S3 Screen Protector - Customization the Key

archer23

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Anyone have the Spigen Ultra Chrystal? They seemed to be the hardest rated protectors from spigen that were dry install so I went ahead and ordered some. I'll post my initial review when it gets here.

archer23

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
I have it. Did you actually read the posts above?

If you are speaking to me, yes I read the posts. The ones previous were in reference to the curved Chrystal as far as I could tell. I was referencing these Amazon.com: SPIGEN SGP Samsung Galaxy S3 Screen Protector Ultra Crystal [2-Pack] Clear Film Cover Shield for AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile, International, 3G, US, LTE, i9300 - CLEAR: Cell Phones & Accessories

I apologize if someone already had an experience with these and said something and I missed it.

g1toevo678

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I've used ultra crystal on all my phones prior to the S3; using the Nano this time. Ultra crystal definitely feels thicker when putting it on but it's a little more prone to smudges compared to the Nano. Plus it picked up little scratches. I've had the Nano going on two months and have no scratches. Both are great protectors. They definitely make the best imo and are well worth the cost.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

badelhas

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
If you are speaking to me, yes I read the posts. The ones previous were in reference to the curved Chrystal as far as I could tell. I was referencing these Amazon.com: SPIGEN SGP Samsung Galaxy S3 Screen Protector Ultra Crystal [2-Pack] Clear Film Cover Shield for AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile, International, 3G, US, LTE, i9300 - CLEAR: Cell Phones & Accessories

I apologize if someone already had an experience with these and said something and I missed it.

You are right, my mistake, I apologize. I have curved crystal and it gets bends easily but beside that it's perfect.

badelhas

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Curved Crystal - Samsung Galaxy S3 Screen Protector Steinheil Curved Crystal | SPIGEN SGP

Ultra Crystal - Samsung Galaxy S3 Screen Protector Steinheil Series | SPIGEN SGP

The main difference should be the thickness of the film (4H vs. 2H). Another minor difference should be the the cut-outs, with the Curved Crystal being more form-fitting. It would be good if someone who has it can post a review.

But which one is thicker? I ask this because I have a curved crystal for a month now and even though I am very careful with my new phone the protector is not very good in term of hardness so it already has some scratches which is a petty. The scratches were made with my nails with not to much pressure, I was very much surprise to see it get scratched with so little pressure. It's a bit dissapointing. Anyone also has it and agrees with me?

DelbertKim

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
The thicker screen protection film would be the Ultra Crystal (4H) over the Curved Crystal (2H). For some additional perspective, Spigen's GLAS and XGear's Spectre (both glass screen protectors) would be 8-9H with a thickness of 0.4mm.

I made note of the thinness of the Curved Crystal when I was writing the review. My guess was that because the Curved Crystal covers edge to edge, it was necessary to manufacture a thinner film in order for it to stay pat.

badelhas

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
The thicker screen protection film would be the Ultra Crystal (4H) over the Curved Crystal (2H). For some additional perspective, Spigen's GLAS and XGear's Spectre (both glass screen protectors) would be 8-9H with a thickness of 0.4mm.

I made note of the thinness of the Curved Crystal when I was writing the review. My guess was that because the Curved Crystal covers edge to edge, it was necessary to manufacture a thinner film in order for it to stay pat.

Thanks again for the info. Where do we check the hardness?
So do you recommend the ultra or the glas opposed to the curved crystal, correct? Is the touch feel also good and do they cover all of the glass, as the curved crystal ?

Last edited:

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Thanks again for the info. Where do we check the hardness?
So do you recommend the ultra or the glas opposed to the curved crystal, correct? Is the touch feel also good and do they cover all of the glass, as the curved crystal ?

I was pretty hopeful for the glas from spigen. Saw amazon reviews, many people complained saying the responsiveness was significantly reduced. As for finding it, at least with spigen they advertise the thickness on most of their stuff.

archer23

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Well, I got the Ultra Crystal today. I wasted the first one because it got a bunch of lint under it. After that I turned on the shower and let it run for a minute to kill the lint in the air and then I put on the second one. It feels great, nice and smooth, just as soon as you wipe of the residue from the protective sheet. My only gripe right now is that it just barely fits over the screen width wise, so it took me a few chances to get it on there just right. The cut outs are perfect and the sensitivity is perfect. I tried to touch it as lightly as I could and it still registered the lightest touch I could muster. I don't have any pics sense my phone is my camera, but there are plenty of reviews online about it.

The Diztronic tpu case I use doesn't come close to interfering with it either.

Edit: The OB Commuter case also still fits without causing the edges to peel up as well.

Last edited:

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Well, I got the Ultra Crystal today. I wasted the first one because it got a bunch of lint under it. After that I turned on the shower and let it run for a minute to kill the lint in the air and then I put on the second one. It feels great, nice and smooth, just as soon as you wipe of the residue from the protective sheet. My only gripe right now is that it just barely fits over the screen width wise, so it took me a few chances to get it on there just right. The cut outs are perfect and the sensitivity is perfect. I tried to touch it as lightly as I could and it still registered the lightest touch I could muster. I don't have any pics sense my phone is my camera, but there are plenty of reviews online about it.

The Diztronic tpu case I use doesn't come close to interfering with it either.

Nice. I have these on order as they seem to be the highest rated. I have never done the shower trick despite having installed/removed/reused tons of screen protectors over the years, but I might give it a go when these come in. I like that the sensitivity is still top notch with the protector on. Also I heard there are no "oil circles" like I currently have with the verizon protector (junk).

archer23

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Nice. I have these on order as they seem to be the highest rated. I have never done the shower trick despite having installed/removed/reused tons of screen protectors over the years, but I might give it a go when these come in. I like that the sensitivity is still top notch with the protector on. Also I heard there are no "oil circles" like I currently have with the verizon protector (junk).

I definitely still have oil and finger smudges, but that doesn't really bother me much. Just a quick wipe on my t shirt and its clean.

SSHGuru

Banned
Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
The shower trick is always best if you really want to make sure no lint gets on it. I have not done it that way personally because if I mess up I just put another on (owning the company has some perks).

I would always keep some scotch tape around because you can use it to get the lint off should that happen.

We recently re-wrote the instructions if anyone is interested here they are removed by moderator

Scott

---------- Post Merged at 10:54 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:49 PM ----------

Are you saying that it also gets scratches easily, in spite of being harder than the curved crystal?

I don't know if this is directed at me but all screen protectors will scratch easier than the glass. The point is that the screen protector get the scratch not the glass.

Ours can get what I call micro scratches which are scratches you can see with the phone off but not on. You cannot feel them either. I have taken a ballpoint pen to mine and dropped it and thats the worst I get.

We recently put up an abuse test video
removed by moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

badelhas

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
How could this be directed to you if I was asking for a comparison between spigen ultra Crystal and spigen curved crystal?! And of course you knew that. Even though your last posts were erase by the moderators you continue to use this thread for self promotion and advertising. Get a grip, mate.

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
How could this be directed to you if I was asking for a comparison between spigen ultra Crystal and spigen curved crystal?! And of course you knew that. Even though your last posts were erase by the moderators you continue to use this thread for self promotion and advertising. Get a grip, mate.

Seems the general idea is the nano series is the most thin giving you a feel similar to not having a screen protector. Seems the later has an orange peel effect. Personally I don't like that.