iBOLT Vehicle Dock for S III

MikaelPe

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
I am part of the product Team at IBOLT. We just launched our active "Dock" on this site and some Carrier stores. iBOLT Vehicle Charging Dock for Samsung Galaxy S3 - Android Charging Car Cradles - ShopAndroid there's a lot of smart people hanging out on this forum with good opinions about accessories and what makes them great. Feel free too use this thread to sound off on how the "Ultimate Car Dock" should be designed. We promise that our product Team will read and review every post.

The new S III Dock works with most cases, it has integrated charging and audio-aux out through ONE connection, just like the OEM car dock for S 2. We also developed a new 9ft cable that plugs into the back of the Dock with the other end splitting into a USB male connector (for charging) and a aux-out. This makes it possible to place the Dock on the left side of the steering wheel and route the cable down the drivers door and under the carpet/front seat to the center console where the USB and aux-in plugs are usually located.

We really want to build the perfect car dock so feel free to discuss, suggest or ask questions about this kind of product and we'll do our best to reply and explain. Looking forward to great suggestions what to improve for the next gen product!

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Will this work with any charger? I currently have a charger with USB and am using it with the Infuse dock. I really like the way your dock looks and would like to use it but don't have an AUX in my car so don't need the AUX cable/charger combo.
Thanks.

UPDATE: Since I do get a discount at VZ Online I decided to try this dock as it was $29.99 with free shipping for me. I should know by next week how it is.

Last edited:

MikaelPe

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
Yes, the XL charge/sound cable ends in a standard USB so it works with any charger.

Since you don't have an Aux-in on your car you need to remember to go to "Settings-Dock-Audio Output Mode" and de-select "Use external speaker when docked" if you want to hear the sound from apps (including the ringing itself when someone is calling) through the built-in Galaxy S III speaker, otherwise the aux-sound will be going "nowhere" as the cable is not connected to an "external speaker".

The Dock is compatible with multiple additional Samsung phones and we intend to publish a list soon after completing the testing.

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Hi Mikael.
I do have Bluetooth audio in my car so calls are not an issue. I just don't have an AUX plug.
Thanks!

Prozak

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Just recieved it

Build quality:
-Plastic, but sturdy. Seems like it will last, all the clips working as they should. Happy with the quality. Had no problem fitting in my phone with a case on. I like that they included separate foam pads to use when taking out the insert to get a cased phone to fit. It's a small detail, but a welcome one.

Installation:
-Putting it together was a breeze, as was installing it in my vehicle (window mount). It does take up a lot of my windshield space, but thats because I have an HHR... not the docks fault.

Function:
-Cord is plenty long enough, I like that it goes into the USB and has a built in AUX OUT cable. This is SUPER important for those that use bluetooth, as it solves the "mute" issue that a lot of people are having. This is a big win for me, as I was pretty upset that I couldnt use bluetooth if I have an AUX OUT cable.

Side note, I had to go into the dock settings and click on "use external speakers" to get it to play out of my stereo, I thought it was the other way around.

Dislikes:

Design
-To use the charger, the home button needs to be on the left, meaning the power button is hidden in the dock. I dont like my phone being on the whole time unless Im using Nav. I would rather be able to access the power button rather than than the volume controls.

.-The built in USB is a little tight. Its a pain to plug in. I imagine this will get a little easier when the cord is used a little more

While sturdy, I find that the mount moves a little bit when snapping the phone in and out. I have had to adjust it a couple different times.

Function
- When plugged in, S Voice immediately launches. I dont like this. I do not want S Voice launching, unless I want to do something. I personally find S Voice useless, and almost never use it. I recomend getting Car Home Ultra as a dock replacement.

Overall, this is my 2nd dock. I have a Mount tek CD mount as well, and so far, I much prefer the iBolt. Given the choices out there currently, I think this is the best option available, and its not too bad of a price.

XprincoX

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
I just received mine too and i think mine is defective. When i plug in the micro-usb cable the phone does not charge even though the blue light is lit. Also when i play music its not transmitting though the mini plug cable so the sound just comes out of the on-board speaker on the phone. :'(

I had might hopes for this dock too...

Prozak

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I just received mine too and i think mine is defective. When i plug in the micro-usb cable the phone does not charge even though the blue light is lit. Also when i play music its not transmitting though the mini plug cable so the sound just comes out of the on-board speaker on the phone. :'(

Can't comment on the charging issue. Does it launch S Voice when plugged in? If not, maybe the dock connector is malfunctioning. Try plugging in the phone directly with the 9ft cable, see if it's dock or cord.

As to your speaker issue, I had same problem. Go into settings > dock > and check "use external speakers". After I did this, it played through my car speakers, and I could also use blue tooth, which is a known issue for those who use the aux out cord and bluetooth simultaneously.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

MikaelPe

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
XprincoX, after you've tried the good suggestions from "Prozak", if the Dock is not charging your phone, send an email with your contact info and we'll assist you personally right away. info@ibolt.co, just make sure you give us a phone number to call you back on. Thanks!

MikaelPe

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Prozak! A good review. When we designed the Dock we had a choice of either keeping the volume button or the "on/off" on top with the horizontal design. After some trials we decided that the volume button was a must to have on top, therefore the design decision to do it this way. When it comes to sVoice this is tied to the software aspect of triggering the "car-mode", which in turn triggers the horizontal home screen. I've also seen a lot of good comments on the Car Home Ultra application. We are planning to make a video review of it together with our Dock's. Glad you like the power/aux cord!

Aquila76

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
I have a question on this. Is the clip strong enough to hold the phone in the dock if used upside down? None of the video apps I can find (stock videocam, DailyRoads Voyager, etc.) allow me to position the phone in this 'reverse landscape' orientation you use. The video comes out upside down when played back.

LMychajluk

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
The 9' cable is nice if you put it on the left, like you said, but I'd like to see a 18" coiled cord for those of us who would put it on the right of the steering wheel.

Prozak

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I have a question on this. Is the clip strong enough to hold the phone in the dock if used upside down? None of the video apps I can find (stock videocam, DailyRoads Voyager, etc.) allow me to position the phone in this 'reverse landscape' orientation you use. The video comes out upside down when played back.

I would definitely think it is strong enough. I don't think a bump would jar the clip loose. I think you would be safe.

Prozak

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Prozak! A good review. When we designed the Dock we had a choice of either keeping the volume button or the "on/off" on top with the horizontal design. After some trials we decided that the volume button was a must to have on top, therefore the design decision to do it this way. When it comes to sVoice this is tied to the software aspect of triggering the "car-mode", which in turn triggers the horizontal home screen. I've also seen a lot of good comments on the Car Home Ultra application. We are planning to make a video review of it together with our Dock's. Glad you like the power/aux cord!

Thanks for taking the time to respond, and thanks for the S Voice explaination, it definately changes my thoughts on that aspect. I have already purchased car home to use instead.

If I may make a recomendation, if there is a way to move the USB cord in the future to the back of the dock and place it on a swivel of sorts so it could go to either the right side or left, that would be a huge improvement. As is, my HHR doesnt have a lot of windshield space, so plugging in the connector is a chore, and as stated previously, I would prefer access to the power button.

The biggest thing for me is the cord... I was so angry when I learned that I wouldnt be able to use bluetooth and audio out. I use tasker to automatically respond to text messages that let people know Im driving and will text back later when safe, but it was tied to my bluetooth connecting to my car to know when to activate. So basically, the cord has allowed me to go back to safe driving, which I really appreciate. This was a big oversight by Samsung, and Im glad your solution took care of the issue.

Regardless, I have already returned my other mount and I'm plenty pleased with the iBolt. I have also recomended it to some coworkers who are also looking for docks for their One X and S3 and will continue to recommend it to others.

MikaelPe

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
When recording video simply unplug the microUSB for perfect recording, OR turn the cradle 180 degrees and the video will not come out up side down. Hope this helps?

MikaelPe

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
As an alternative to the 9" long straight cord we are considering adding a 6" cord as an accessory (at a modest price). This for everyone that prefers to have the Dock in the center of the windshield or on a vent mount for example. Any opinions if this shorter cord should be straight or coiled? Fire off a reply so we here at iBOLT get a good snapshot at what users prefer:)

Reactions: lmat

MikaelPe

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
Prozak, very interesting suggestion with regards to a swivel solution on the back so the phone could be turned either way. Thanks for the tip!

Neotravy

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys,

I was a long time lurker but figured I'd weigh in on this.

I was searching for a new dock the last couple of weeks and fell across this thread yesterday. I ran out to my Verizon store and picked it up.

I had no idea I'd finally be able to use Bluetooth and aux out when I first read about this dock. It was this thread that turned me onto this feature. I'm so happy about that because it was a huge pain with my previous set up and it wasn't even charging.

Couple of points:

I was disappointed that I had to go buy a lighter to USB adapter. I don't understand why this wasn't thrown in? Luckily for me, I have Fry's right around the corner from my house, but I wonder what people do who order this online and end up not being able to use the power portion?

I too wish the cord was a little shorter for middle window use, but I can wrap it up and zip tie it if needed.

Sometimes bluetooth for S voice doesn't engage. I assume that is a bug with the S3 but I haven't figured out why it works sometimes and not others.

BTW, S-voice is really good for a lot of things. I use it to launch Google music player. I just wish you could control the play and pause with voice (altho there are apps out there that do that, haven't tried them with this dock yet).

Overall I'm really happy with it. It does make a slight buzzing sound with power plugged in but I can turn the volume up to overpower that.

Great product guys! If you ever need a beta tester in the future, let me know! :)

Prozak

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site

Am now having the same issue. Quality issues? Will be returning dock.

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I just received my Verizon-branded iBolt. When I plug it in using my current charger the light in the dock turns blue but my phone does not show charging and Car Home Ultra does not start up. I've used my current charger for the S3 as well as my previous Droid X so I don't believe that's the problem. Any ideas?

MikaelPe

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
See updated attached image for screen shots showing how the settings under "Dock" should be if you want to route the sound from Aux-out cable to car-stereo speakers (assuming of course the car stereo has a standard 3.5 mm "aux-in" port). Hope this helps clarify the functionality.

Reactions: hilaryc