iBOLT Vehicle Dock for S III

rrspikes

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Just got an email that my dock shipped

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Android Central Forums

Did you notice that the cable won't be shipped until the 1st week of March?

I received my XPro Dock last Friday and was really disappointed when I saw the notification sticker about the cables being delayed on the invoice.

Had I known the cables were going to be delayed when I pre ordered, (it wasn't listed on Amazon at the time) I'd have waited to purchase it.

In the meantime, I do like the iBOLT S3 dock I already have.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Loose_Torch_Slider

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I just received my IBPF-33307
Was afraid the car mode/driving mode would not work but it actually works just fine (except the camera which is upside down in the landscape view)
Anyway, I have a much BIGGER issue - I cannot charge or make an aux connection
Searched the forums, and people actually suggested I connect the usb/aux cable to the phone directly, to see if the cable is faulty ...
hahhhh There is no way to connect this directly to the phone, this is not a microUSB cable, I have no idea what this is

the dock connection is also strange ...

CameraZOOM-20130130170155267_zpsbef63405.jpg

CameraZOOM-20130130170116593_zpsb33a821d.jpg

CameraZOOM-20130130170108128_zps6fd4001b.jpg

CameraZOOM-20130130170056823_zps551e582e.jpg

well, that's what I received in a package from androidcommunity.com
anyone else with similar experience?
thanks

Last edited:

J Teezy

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Just received the xprodock. First impressions from taking it out of the dock is that it holds the phone securely. The tension is very strong. The bottom feet are extendable to fit different cases. I'm using an OB commuter on my galaxy s3. Can take the phone out easily from the dock and put it in easy with one hand. Will test it in the car tonight when I go to work. Can't comment on the cables yet because they are coming at a later date. Although I feel it probably cost less than 10 bucks to make it was worth the cost since I can keep my case on my phone

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Johnny Williams1

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
Hello all, we've sold a large amount of the S3 iBOLT Dock and less then 1% have reported back any problems. However, a lot of people (tons!) have asked for a design that can work with the Otterbox Defender or Ballistic style case, that's why we redesigned it so it's open on the sides instead of having a phone specific shape. With this "Generation II" development we also made the insertion point for the microUSB (still triggers car-mode and aux-out) on the right side so the video is not showing upside down when plugged in. With the Note II becoming popular we also wanted to make sure that the opening would accommodate this phone too, even when using an Otterbox on it, see attached "unedited" pics we took on Friday. The Note II compatibility requirement is why we are doing a dual-spring loaded latch with pretty strong retention force instead of the "fold down" type latch.

The only thing that we are not 100% sure that we've solved entirely is the buzzing issue on AUX-out (primarily reported on LTE equipped phones) reported by a limited number of users. In a lot of cars, like my personal Honda 2012 it works as intended with no background noise when playing music. It mutes correctly when a call is coming in. We've redesigned the aux-out cable and added a ton of shielding in all areas and we are now in testing. For some users the problem was "solved" by simply making sure the volume output on the phone itself was set to maximum when plugged into the aux-in on the car-stereo. The alternative to an aux-out cable is to have a 3.5 mm Bluetooth "streamer adapter", which generally works great except that when stepping into the car the user must press a "wake up & connect" button, which for some people is no issue and others find it very annoying. The Bluetooth "dongles" (as they are also referred to) are available for $29 and up.

Another issue discussed in many Forums is the fact that you can not route phone calls to the car-stereo speakers using the 3.5 mm input on Samsung phones, essentially using the car-dock as a "hands-free station". Users that are migrating from a Motorola phone using their OEM car-dock have been spoiled as this functionality is part of the deal... The reason why this does not work is that the Samsung firmware is not designed to offer the option of call routing to external speaker when in dock mode, and at the same time change the microphone to a "handsfree setting" that triggers a "Digital Signal Processor (DSP). The DSP based software works to cancel/minimize background noise and it also takes care of echo suppression. Every quality hands-free product features a good DSP type solution. This is why Samsung users must have a Bluetooth hands-free solution for their phone calls if they want to keep the phone in a cradle while driving. Even if you, the driver, can hear the other party fine using the speaker phone (or forcing the sound to car-speakers using a "sound redirect" type app) the other party will not be able to hear you clear, especially when driving at highway speeds. With no DSP solution active the driver will sound like he is a tunnel or "in the bathtub", this as the Samsung phones do not have a DSP solution that goes to work... Sorry about lengthy explanation. I hope the above makes sense?

Does the new dock fix the not charging issue as well? Ever since updating to jellybean my phone does not charge, I am using a 1 amp charger like you mentioned in this thread. If so i would be happy to buy another ibolt dock.

etnpnys

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Hi, I just received my IBPF-33307
Was afraid the car mode/driving mode would not work but it actually works just fine (except the camera which is upside down in the landscape view)
Anyway, I have a much BIGGER issue - I cannot charge or make an aux connection
Searched the forums, and people actually suggested I connect the usb/aux cable to the phone directly, to see if the cable is faulty ...
hahhhh There is no way to connect this directly to the phone, this is not a microUSB cable, I have no idea what this is

the dock connection is also strange ...

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b275/L-U-D-E/CameraZOOM-20130130170155267_zpsbef63405.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b275/L-U-D-E/CameraZOOM-20130130170116593_zpsb33a821d.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b275/L-U-D-E/CameraZOOM-20130130170108128_zps6fd4001b.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b275/L-U-D-E/CameraZOOM-20130130170056823_zps551e582e.jpg

well, that's what I received in a package from androidcommunity.com
anyone else with similar experience?
thanks
Dude - yours is broken. What you see on the very end of the USB cable is actually supposed to still be connected to the actual dock. The female USB port is stuck to your cable.

I used to work for a computer manufacturer and we had a series of motherboards that would come back with this same issue - mostly happened when people plugged something in backwards. I'm assuming that's not the case for yours, because I believe the 9ft cable is plugged in already when you get the unit... right?

anon395528

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Just checking in for updates on the PRO dock upgrades? Not sure about the cables not being shipped...but, my main interest is if there was a manufacturing work around to route the phone call through the sound system. Based on MikaelPe's December post it seems like that is not going to happen for the S3? I have no idea why the charging feature is intermittent on mine and wondered if that got fixed also. Now, I just keep turning on and off my car's ignition until it works. I just came back from a 4 hour drive, my phone was down to 20% and I wanted to use my standalone GPS so I NEEDED the car dock to charge my phone. It took about 7 on/off's of the ignition and finally it stayed on and my phone was 90% by the time I got home.

SO, 1) is the call able to route through the sound system on the PRO dock and 2) did they fix the intermittent power connx?

Thanks in advance.

Steven Hughes2

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I just bought the ibolt dock for my galaxy s3. I have a Clarion stereo with both a aux and usb port built into the face. I can listen to pandora thru my speakers, but I can't hear phone conversations thru them. I have the aux port plugged into stereo and the usb into lighter plug for charging. Why can't I hear phone thru speakers? Thanx Steve

etnpnys

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I just bought the ibolt dock for my galaxy s3. I have a Clarion stereo with both a aux and usb port built into the face. I can listen to pandora thru my speakers, but I can't hear phone conversations thru them. I have the aux port plugged into stereo and the usb into lighter plug for charging. Why can't I hear phone thru speakers? Thanx Steve
If you're just plugging a regular stereo cable from your phone to the Clarion, your phone thinks that it's just headphones and not a hands-free headset. Thus, it just puts music through it because it knows you still have to hold the phone to your head. Now, if you connected your phone to the Clarion via Bluetooth you would be able to do everything (stream music, sounds, videos, phone calls) all through the Clarion.

BMIC50

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site

Samsung doesn't output in call audio through any docks.

Geomembranes

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
The vehicle dock is a great product and I have been using it for some time now.
I do see a potential benefit to have a similar "office dock" version to either USB link to your computer or 120v power plug and the aux connection to external speakers.

MikaelPe

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
Hello everyone, New iBOLT Dock'n Drive Video... We at iBOLT just made this video available today on the Google Play and also on YouTube. This shows the new Dock'n Drive app and how it works. After a quick drive I am going through the features of the app in painful details:) Take a look and keep the conversation going...

Google Play for app & video: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e.../store/apps/d...51bGwsMSwyLDNd&token=OvEexMM5

YouTube only: https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=9lBV3Ag9Tco

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Mikael, I have a question regarding mounting this to a dash surface. How flat does the surface have to be that I want to mount the adhesive disk to? I would like to mount it to a surface which is slightly convex. If I put the disk on it, all the edges of the disk do not make contact. Is this OK? Should I put pressure on the disk to force it to conform to the surface? How long would I need to hold pressure, if so?

Finally, is the disk removable once attached and allowed to set for 24 hours?

Many thanks.

yonir

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
The disk is quite rigid, I don't think it will attach to a convex surface. I don't think the vacuum clip will attach to a convex surface well either..
I put mine on the left side of the windshield - almost doesn't hide the field of view at all but still easily visible.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Thanks yonir.

Another question or three for iBolt: With your new software, is there any way to get the phone to read incoming text messages, like Samsung's car mode does? I don't want to turn that option on all the time, only when the phone is docked in the car. It seems my choice is to use Samsung's car mode, or use your app and give up reading of text messages.

Which begs another question: Why does your dock put the phone in desktop dock mode, instead of car mode? I have a cheapo docking cable from ebay that correctly puts the S3 in car mode, which your dock doesn't seem to do.

Finally, how do I make Dock and Drive NOT the default dock mode app? The option in your menu takes me to Android System, and I sure don't want to clear defaults for everything in Android system. Do I have to uninstall it?

clh42

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Finally, how do I make Dock and Drive NOT the default dock mode app? The option in your menu takes me to Android System, and I sure don't want to clear defaults for everything in Android system. Do I have to uninstall it?
I can answer this piece of it. You don't clear all of your defaults for everything. Go into the Application Manager, find Dock n' Drive and open it, then inside of that press Clear Defaults.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Oddly, Dock and Drive still comes up when connected to the xPro, even though it's not set as the default. Maybe if I have more than one dock program installed it will force me to choose.

lazyb0y

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Where can I find the cable for this dock? I ordered a HTC DNA from Verizon along with the DNA version of the dock, but Verizon didn't ship a cable and tells me they don't include a cable. I ordered a cable from a company in China but I'm afraid I'll never see it.

WAWood8

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Mikael, I have a question regarding mounting this to a dash surface. How flat does the surface have to be that I want to mount the adhesive disk to? I would like to mount it to a surface which is slightly convex. If I put the disk on it, all the edges of the disk do not make contact. Is this OK? Should I put pressure on the disk to force it to conform to the surface? How long would I need to hold pressure, if so?

Finally, is the disk removable once attached and allowed to set for 24 hours?

Many thanks.

I had a similar uneven surface problem mounting my iBolt dock -- and discovered some industrial-strength double-sided tape that really works great!

What you want to search for is the "Scotch 1 in. x 37-1/2 ft. Indoor/Outdoor Mounting Tape". It costs $16 USD for a roll, but it's the best I've seen, and I've tried several.

My mounting surface is "V"-shaped, so I cut thin string and made a similar shape, which I stuck to the round, flat, plastic disk that comes with the dock. The dock has been mounted sideways for weeks now and hasn't budged. That's likely because this tape is rated at 10 Lbs per square inch -- so it holds the dock with the phone with no problems.