homemade soft touch back cover! well, still in work...

hiero

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
So I've been thinking about doing this for a while now and I've just been waiting for the replacement back I ordered off ebay to slowboat it over from china (won't be doing that again, took way too long).
I've been wanting a nice soft-touch replacement cover for the s3, but no one makes that! Fortunately, I've been messing around with sugru for a while now and it makes for a very nice soft-touch feel. Here's a pic of where I'm at thus far, but it's far from perfect and I don't think I like the texture - the next variant is going to be a smooth texture with the small holes like the nexus 7 back. It's reminiscent of a racing leather steering wheel and I like that.

I've got a bunch of process pics on my camera at home, but for now, this is the first go. I used parchment paper to roll the sugru out thin, but even parchment paper grabs a hold of sugru, so I'm going to use teflon sheets this next go around and see if I can get even thinner than this one (I used 3x 5gram sugru packets and probably lost at least 1 full packet's worth in the process. You can imagine, it actually puts a little heft back into the phone).

I also need to work on getting an even thickness across the whole piece and making the edge transitions much more smooth to the phone itself, but this is definitely a work in process! I'll update with more pics when I get home, but I definitely want to scrape all of this off and start over again for the smooth, Nexus 7 type of look and feel when I get home.

Let me know what you think!

Last edited:

hiero

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Thanks! Here's version 2. I ran out of sugru through trying a couple of different techniques last night, so I have to wait for more to arrive, but I think the third version should be pretty nice.
I'm going to use a small squeegee next time to cover the device more evenly. As you can see, it's not completely even across the case and there are divots that I just wasn't able to flatten without screwing up another part of it...

OH, and if anyone has any ideas on how to get the 'SAMSUNG' logo imprinted on the back cover (or 'Galaxy S3'), please let me know! Short of 3D printing a small stamp, I'm out of ideas. (I was thinking I could reverse stamp and then make a mold, but the mirror images are all wrong with what I have to start with).

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay