SEIDIO OBEX? Waterproof Case [NEW COLOR OPTION]

BMIC50

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Re: NEW Seidio OBEX Waterproof Case [Now Shipping!]

Received mine on Friday. Fit is good and very solid.

Have been disappointed with how hard I have to type to get a response on the phone. Swipes get interrupted as you are scrolling and pinch zooming.
Also, the bottom capacitive buttons for menu and return almost never respond.

I have tried reinstalling the phone in the case with no luck.

That's not good. So you have a screen protector on it (before you added the obex)? If so, try removing it to see if that helps performance.

seidioseidio

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site

Received mine on Friday. Fit is good and very solid.

Have been disappointed with how hard I have to type to get a response on the phone. Swipes get interrupted as you are scrolling and pinch zooming.
Also, the bottom capacitive buttons for menu and return almost never respond.

I have tried reinstalling the phone in the case with no luck.

That's not good. So you have a screen protector on it (before you added the obex)? If so, try removing it to see if that helps performance.

Correct. If you have any type of screen protector on the device, you will need to remove it before using the case. This should resolve the issues, but feel free to send me a PM if you have any further questions.

bailman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site

Will this case be available at any retail stores?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

tmx31415

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Received the case and I received the excellent build quality I expect from Seidio. Awesome job guys. This is why you are setting the standard in accessories.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

luigi1285

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site

When will we be able to order the holster at the discounted price. And hurricane sandy screwed me my town was evacuated. So no mail

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

seidioseidio

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site

Unless you placed your order late yesterday or earlier today, you should have received an e-mail. For everyone who placed late yesterday or earlier today, we'll be sending out the e-mail later today. If you didn't receive the e-mail, please check your spam folder or you can call into customer service and they will be able to assist you.

queenkong

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site

Correct. If you have any type of screen protector on the device, you will need to remove it before using the case. This should resolve the issues, but feel free to send me a PM if you have any further questions.

I am also experiencing the same problem. And I've already removed any extra screen protector as well as rinsing the case and letting it dry in air con room.

What else can I do? :(

I wonder if custom roms with ability to increase screen sensitivity works to improve the problem....

frekiluv

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site

Recieved my Obex on Tuesday around 1300 and removed it by 2200. Less than 10 hours and sadly dissatisfied.
pro: strong case, waterproof, works with 90degree OTG cable, 1000% better screen than OtterBox (little sparkle dots not that bad)

con: screen sensitivity is horrible (I do not have a screen protecter), capacitice back botton works 5-10% of the time, using a coin to open case will scar the case (soft plastic), membrane over ext speaker does make phone sound like speaker is blown (think old transistor radio)

Overall, many of the cons I can overlook except the capacitive back button not working. If you have an app that does not have a back key it will basically lock the app until you either do a restart or kill the app and clear the cache: ie. Polaris pdf.
I hope this is a defective unit, but from other reviews I am sceptical. I would return it but Seidio wants me to responsible for shipping.
This, regardless of Terms, is unacceptable. I am a college student who walks to school. I got the Obex because in the PacificNW it is always wet. I spent the last of my fun budget on this darn case and have no funds to return it. This may be the last time I deal with this company. I have 3 people in a tech class that have been waiting for my reacgion to the case before they purchase one. They will get their answer when I show up to class today with my OtterBox (yes it is a horible screen protector, but at least it works). I am going to see if I can work something out with Seidio. If anything changes il update.
Sad thing is I am a new forum member and a complaint is my first post. :confused:

Sent from my imaginary construct to you.

queenkong

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site

Recieved my Obex on Tuesday around 1300 and removed it by 2200. Less than 10 hours and sadly dissatisfied.
pro: strong case, waterproof, works with 90degree OTG cable, 1000% better screen than OtterBox (little sparkle dots not that bad)

con: screen sensitivity is horrible (I do not have a screen protecter), capacitice back botton works 5-10% of the time, using a coin to open case will scar the case (soft plastic), membrane over ext speaker does make phone sound like speaker is blown (think old transistor radio)

Overall, many of the cons I can overlook except the capacitive back button not working. If you have an app that does not have a back key it will basically lock the app until you either do a restart or kill the app and clear the cache: ie. Polaris pdf.
I hope this is a defective unit, but from other reviews I am sceptical. I would return it but Seidio wants me to responsible for shipping.
This, regardless of Terms, is unacceptable. I am a college student who walks to school. I got the Obex because in the PacificNW it is always wet. I spent the last of my fun budget on this darn case and have no funds to return it. This may be the last time I deal with this company. I have 3 people in a tech class that have been waiting for my reacgion to the case before they purchase one. They will get their answer when I show up to class today with my OtterBox (yes it is a horible screen protector, but at least it works). I am going to see if I can work something out with Seidio. If anything changes il update.
Sad thing is I am a new forum member and a complaint is my first post. :confused:

My back and menu buttons were fine... its just the screen sensitivity especially signifcant when typing fast... annoying...

The sound quality from calls sounded "weird" but were clear and fine to me but difficult to align the port directly at the ears to hear, any slight misalignment will render unable to hear anything.... no complains from the other party yet...

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site

A lot of other people had these problems.too. waiting for the life proof

queenkong

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site

Solution I found myself. Took me many trial and errors!

I cant find the strips to remove as per lifeproof's scenario to reduce the air gap. So what I did was to also apply a VERY thing layer of baby powder or talcum powder on the inside of the screen protector. So thin that it looks invisible unless at certain angle under light u see specks of "dust" everywhere. It is ok as when lighted up, it wont affect at all. This is to prevent watermark later on.

Den reinstall the phone in the case with the ports plug open. This is to assist to push the air out. When placing phone in the top half of the case, press really hard by pinching the phone and the screen protector together in one direction (top down or bottom up) so that they "stick" tgt. Watermarks will appear if there's isn't a layer of thin powder. Kept repeating making sure that the phone is as close to the screen protector as possible. Should be able to hear some "sticky" sound when u pinch and slide down in uni direction. Then close up the ports plug and assemble the case fully.

The screen sensitivity improved a lot, although still not to as 100% if phone is naked.

*updates:: improvements came off after awhile when the screenprotector looses to the actual screen due to "spring back" effect as neutral position is with air gap

Last edited:

seidioseidio

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site

I am also experiencing the same problem. And I've already removed any extra screen protector as well as rinsing the case and letting it dry in air con room.

What else can I do? :(

I wonder if custom roms with ability to increase screen sensitivity works to improve the problem....

I do apologize for any issues you are having with the OBEX. I am not sure how you installed the case originally, but we suggest placing the phone in the top portion (screen protector portion) first. This will allow you to push the phone securely down and make a solid connection with the protector. Then you would slide that top portion into the bottom portion until it is tight all the way around.

Some users have also said that opening the headphone and power ports help to release some of the air that might be getting caught between the protector and the screen. However, the breathable material on the speakers and microphones will allow the excess air to escape over time and should improve the screen sensitivity.

If you are still having issues, please contact our customer service department at 832-204-1118 and we will do everything possible to help resolve these issues.

I do apologize for the trouble you are having with your OBEX. The issues you are having with your back button do not seem to be a known issue that many customers are having with their case. As you can see earlier in this post, there are some troubleshooting things that you can possibly try. If you are still having issues, please send me a PM and I will work with you to get that unit back to us.

DallasFlier

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
Re: NEW Seidio OBEX Waterproof Case [Video Update]

Ok thanks for the reply!

Any chance that there in the works of making a obex case but with an extended battery attached ??

We have not finalized any plans for an extended OBEX case that is compatible with an extended battery at this time. I will forward your request to product development though.

Count me in for an order as soon as you have one compatible with your extended battery and back cover. And kickstand preferred too, as long as I'm asking... :)

AppleGeek21

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site

I noticed that the screen protector has little dots in almost a grid. Was just wondering why, is pretty easy to see on a white screen.

queenkong

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site

Hi guys!

Ive flashed Pimp my rom tweak/mod via CWM to attempt to improve the touch sensitivity. But it doesn't seem to help! Then did extensive research and found a script inside system->etc->init.d folder, theres a script named s89touch, which have the following commands

#!/system/bin/sh
chmod -R 777 /sys/class/touch/switch/set_touchscreen;
echo 7035 > /sys/class/touch/switch/set_touchscreen;
echo 8002 > /sys/class/touch/switch/set_touchscreen;
echo 11000 > /sys/class/touch/switch/set_touchscreen;
echo 13060 > /sys/class/touch/switch/set_touchscreen;
echo 14005 > /sys/class/touch/switch/set_touchscreen;
chmod -R 444 /sys/class/touch/switch/set_touchscreen;

How do I edit to boost the sensitivity to work with Obex case anyone knows? :(

This is probabaly our only hope!!

tomhauburn

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

I have had some issues with the back button working properly. Touch is different and I am going to try a re-install. I tried and failed to get it to take any photos underwater today. Seems I need a way to reprogram one of the side buttons to take the shot as the touch screen does not like the water pressure. I think on the I phone they use a side button for camera in the Lifeproof case. Case quality is pretty good but keeping the o ring in place during closure is not easy. ( I am an underwater photographer and have used several systems ) For keeping water and dust out it seems to be a good system. Volume drops but works pretty well. Bluetooth seems to not lose much strength for tests today.

Will do more testing this week. Since I work around water every day I needed something water proof. This case saved my phone when I got blasted by mistake with a high pressure hose the day after I got it..

Flickr: tomhauburn's Photostream