[Review] Seidio Convert Combo

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Got my Seidio Convert combo case in today. Thought I would post a review of it seeing how there really isn't much out there about this case. I'll share a small comparison too with the Otterbox Defender case as these two cases are likely the top end protection.

What is it? Seidio Convert combo is Seidio's top protection case just shy of their new OBEX case. The Convert Combo is essentially just an outer soft silicon combined with an exoskeleton that encase their Surface case, a popular Seidio case that offers basic protection. What you get with this combo for around $40 is 2 cases and a holster. The Surface case is also identical to Best Buy's "Pt" case. Not a bad deal but the main idea that makes the convert combo shine is that it gives you the ability to use either the surface case (light protection) by itself or add on the outer layers for maximum protection. Seidio also includes their screen protector which is actually a good quality protector.

Pros:
- Multiple layers for protection while adding the functionality to use either the surface itself or the outer protection added
- Inner surface case is top of the line for light protection
- Outer hard exoskeleton allows the case to be pocket'ed
- Sizable lip wraps around the screen for protection from drops
- Included belt holster is heavy duty quality and will fit large utility belts; also has a locking mechanism
- Covers for all ports including camera

Cons:
- Price: case might be too pricey for most
- With the outer protection on it becomes large but not too large

Quick comparison: Otterbox Defender
Otterbox defender series is another great case to provide excellent protection. There have been many reviews on this case so if you're curious what it offers check out some of the links in this forum.

- Screen protector: The main beef people including myself have against the defender case is the darn screen protector. It is basically a thick clear plastic. While as a plus for otterbox, this gives some good protection on the screen but with the seidio convert you use you're own screen protector or the included one (which is of good quality).
- Silicon: I have praised otterbox over and over for making drastic changes to their outer silicon. The Galaxy s3 defender silicon is a very tough silicon which is much improved over previous defender cases for other phones, however it still is difficult to get in and out of the pocket. Seidio convert has a hard plastic exoskeleton outer layer similar to their Active series and there are no issues with the phone hanging on clothing. In addition the soft silicon on the convert case adds a much better feel to the phone as it wraps over the screen better than the defender, which has their hard plastic around the screen.
- Belt holster: I see a lot of complaints regarding the otterbox holster. While I myself have no issues with it, the design isn't the best. Seidio convert case holster has one small clip at the very top. It is much easier to get in and out of the holster compared to the otterbox. Also the convert has a locking mechanism on the holster.
- Size: This is the main difference between the two. Both cases fully assembled (minus holster) are almost identical in thickness and size. I took a few pics. However with the otterbox defender aside from disassembling it, you're stuck with that one size. The convert outer exoskeleton and silicon remove quite easy and you can use the inner surface case if you choose.

Other notes: I'm not knocking otterbox at all. They make amazing products and have likely the best customer support of any company I have used. That said the convert is an alternative to the defender series which seems to be the most popular. Both cases will give you some of the best protection however I am a little inclined to say the otterbox might protect better with their built in screen protector. The convert does have a much larger raised lip over the screen. Also I was concerned about the large lip being too large but I am amazed to see seidio has tapered it towards the home button on the S3 which is a very good design in my opinion. I have owned both of these series for almost all of my previous phones (a lot) and both companies have greatly improved the designs and features.

My opinion? Considering prices of each, if you are willing to spend a little more the Convert is a better option. I find myself constantly removing the otterbox case (just how I am) and with the convert you still get the surface case for light duty.

Attachments

• 20121019_185813.jpg
    20121019_185813.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 6
  • 20121019_185837.jpg
    20121019_185837.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 20121019_185920.jpg
    20121019_185920.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 20121019_190012.jpg
    20121019_190012.jpg