Otterbox Defender for S3 Review

zapfrog

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Rewind a bit to the Defender I had for the iPhone 4/4s. A great case overall with a few problems. The Defender protected the iPhone very well but I had problems with the silicon stretching out after only a few months. There were also places where the case rubbed against the iPhone causing some slight wear marks. Granted Otterbox sent me new silicon but it just wasn't held on very well.

Fast forward to now and I like the design and color choices overall from Otterbox. This time around I notice the case has a better lip all the way around to hold the silicon in place better. Alas my happiness would not last as after only two months the silicon has stretched away from the corners and the bottom. Sure Otterbox is sending me new silicon but do I really want to go through this every two months? Another problem is durability of the built in screen protector. I am NOT hard on my phone and cases but the built in screen protector became heavily scratched up after normal use, it's like I had sand paper on the tips of my fingers.

Another problem is that the plastic case has only a foam pad on the interior and nothing on the sides for protecting against direct contact like the Ballistic Every1 case.

Overall great colors and protection but materials need to be improved.

zapfrog

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Easy solution.... Don't take the case off so often.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet

Never did take it out, either from the iPhone or s3. So dont go posting when assuming. It's been a common problem with Otterbox if you look around the net and the reason why Otterbox went from a life time warranty to a one year warranty.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

J Teezy

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm using a commuter case right now but may switch to a urban active gear case because i like the hard plastic on the corners it gives. though the UAG doesn't have covers over the ports like the otterbox but every case has its ups and downs

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk HD

garyf33

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I have the same problem with my otterbox defender case for my HTC One X, have the case on a little over 3 months without removing it once and it's stretched out.

zapfrog

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I have the same problem with my otterbox defender case for my HTC One X, have the case on a little over 3 months without removing it once and it's stretched out.

Unfortunately until Otterbox changes up its materials I won't go back. Even the bulky Griffin military cases silicon has lasted on my friends iPhone faaar longer than any otterbox I've ever seen.

montanaxvi

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
Had the outer shell on my Defender start stretching out after about 3 months. Otterbox support sent an entire new case free of charge. Here I sit about 3 months into the new one and the shell corners are peeling away again. I'm done with them which is a shame because I love the case.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

zapfrog

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Had the outer shell on my Defender start stretching out after about 3 months. Otterbox support sent an entire new case free of charge. Here I sit about 3 months into the new one and the shell corners are peeling away again. I'm done with them which is a shame because I love the case.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, I love the case and colors but I agree they need to change the designs or the composition of their silicon.