Samsung AllShare Cast Hub first impressions.

Targon

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
With all this talk about cases, I just picked up the AllShare Cast Hub yesterday, and I was playing with it for quite a while and have been fairly happy with my new toy. For those of you who are not familiar with it, there is a feature in the Galaxy S3 and Note 2 called AllShare Cast. The basic idea is to show your screen on the TV without the need to plug in a HDMI cable. This will allow you to play games from your phone and have them come up on the big screen, almost like you have a mini game console in your hands. It also can come in handy for showing pictures or videos from your phone to a group of people without setting it up next to the TV and then running back to sit down again the way a HDMI connection would require.

Samsung has AllShare Cast built in as a feature on their higher end flat panel TVs, generally those that come with WiFi built in(not the normal Ethernet you see on lower end models), so for those with a non-Samsung TV, or those with a lower end TV, Samsung has the AllShare Cast Hub available as an accessory. It is also referred to as the AllShare Cast Dongle, I suspect because Samsung is still working on the branding for the device it changed. The box says Hub, the product calls itself the AllShare Cast Dongle.

To set it up is very simple, plug the "hub" into wall power with the included power connector, and then plug the normal HDMI cable into an available connection on your TV. You can also plug it into a surround sound receiver that supports HDMI if you want. When you change your TV to the proper input, you should see some basic instructions, and there will be a red light on the AllShare Cast Hub that will be blinking. Now, on your Galaxy S3 or Note 2, turn on AllShare Cast(on my AT&T version it is under Settings, then More Settings and you will find where to turn it on). Next, press and hold the button on the back of the AllShare Cast Hub until the light turns blue. Your phone SHOULD now see the Dongle(hit scan again on the phone if it didn't find any devices before that). In under 30 seconds it SHOULD connect, and you will see on your phone and TV screen that all is now synced, and your phone screen should now be on your TV.

Initially, I did not insert the HDMI cable all the way into the AllShare Cast Hub, but it is clear that you need the Hub to be connected to the TV FIRST before you try connecting your phone to the Hub. Quality seems to be acceptable for the most part, I am running mine through an older HDMI 1.2a Yamaha receiver, so I am not sure if some of the display quality issues are from that, or the source from Showtime Anytime not giving the best quality at this point. I can say that it is a more interesting accessory than many, simply because it isn't passive. Turn on AllShare Cast, and it will automatically connect to the Hub after that initial setup, so at this point, I just change my inputs on surround sound receiver and TV, and bingo, it is all up and working. I will be doing a few other tests to see if bypassing the surround sound receiver improves video quality, also trying other video sources besides the Showtime Anytime app.

makaroni

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Well I have a Samsung 55" Smart TV equipped with Allshare so I didn't need the extra equipment but the feature is awesome. I love it and I'm leaning towards Samsung being my favorite manufacturer because of my great experience with the GS3 and my smart TV. Allshare changes the game when it comes to sharing pics, videos, games and other content wirelessly between your smartphone and other devices. Anyone who hasn't already tried it or have it, definitely worth checking out. I haven't had any issues with picture quality so I can't speak on that but whatever the video or photo or other content you're viewing looks like on your phone, it will look the same on the tv. If it's shot in low quality on your phone or originally, then it will show that way on the receiving device.

Targon

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
One thing to keep in mind is that there is a difference between AllShare Play and AllShare Cast. The CAST version lets you mirror your phone screen to the TV, while AllShare Play lets you transfer files to the TV to watch, but that isn't the same thing. The Cast feature mirrors whatever you have on your phone screen, and many of the Samsung Smart TVs don't support that version. If you have WiFi built into the TV, then you probably have it.

Well I have a Samsung 55" Smart TV equipped with Allshare so I didn't need the extra equipment but the feature is awesome. I love it and I'm leaning towards Samsung being my favorite manufacturer because of my great experience with the GS3 and my smart TV. Allshare changes the game when it comes to sharing pics, videos, games and other content wirelessly between your smartphone and other devices. Anyone who hasn't already tried it or have it, definitely worth checking out. I haven't had any issues with picture quality so I can't speak on that but whatever the video or photo or other content you're viewing looks like on your phone, it will look the same on the tv. If it's shot in low quality on your phone or originally, then it will show that way on the receiving device.

makaroni

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
One thing to keep in mind is that there is a difference between AllShare Play and AllShare Cast. The CAST version lets you mirror your phone screen to the TV, while AllShare Play lets you transfer files to the TV to watch, but that isn't the same thing. The Cast feature mirrors whatever you have on your phone screen, and many of the Samsung Smart TVs don't support that version. If you have WiFi built into the TV, then you probably have it.

You're right. I have the allshare play option and my TV is equipped with the allshare cast but my phone doesn't support it yet. I don't see it in my settings so I don't have it on my S3 yet. Wonderful Verizon! Thanks for clearing that up though

My GS3 sleeps in the bed and I make my girlfriend sleep on the couch

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1356792306308.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1356792306308.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 37

Targon

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
You're right. I have the allshare play option and my TV is equipped with the allshare cast but my phone doesn't support it yet. I don't see it in my settings so I don't have it on my S3 yet. Wonderful Verizon! Thanks for clearing that up though

If you updated to Jelly Bean, check settings/more settings, and see if AllShare Cast is there as a toggle. I don't know why Verizon does not have it available. I know the Note 2 has it in the pull-down(status menu).

makaroni

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
If you updated to Jelly Bean, check settings/more settings, and see if AllShare Cast is there as a toggle. I don't know why Verizon does not have it available. I know the Note 2 has it in the pull-down(status menu).

I refuse to update to JB. I'm very comfortable with ICS and read that ppl are having trouble with the update. I'm not willing to factory reset my phone at the moment. I'll try it one day

Targon

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I refuse to update to JB. I'm very comfortable with ICS and read that ppl are having trouble with the update. I'm not willing to factory reset my phone at the moment. I'll try it one day

The only people that seem to have problems with the update are those with keyboards, anti-virus, or launchers installed. If you uninstall those, including Nova Launcher or Keyboards, the update shouldn't be a problem for you. The only problem which isn't a TRUE problem is that the standard brightness is higher than it was on ICS, so it will drain the battery faster if you don't adjust it down. The other issue is that if you have a filesystem problem on a MicroSD card(corrupted file is what many people call it), that can cause "media" to drain the battery faster.

Again, uninstall keyboards, launchers(such as Nova launcher), and anti-virus prior to doing the update, and you will be fine. That is my advice. This is along the same lines as "some people get shot when they are visiting a city, so you won't go to a city for any reason, just because there are some shootings that generally happen in dangerous neighborhoods.

makaroni

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Again, uninstall keyboards, launchers(such as Nova launcher), and anti-virus prior to doing the update, and you will be fine. That is my advice. This is along the same lines as "some people get shot when they are visiting a city, so you won't go to a city for any reason, just because there are some shootings that generally happen in dangerous neighborhoods.

You're funny lol. I just don't want to have to set up my phone all over again or have to change a whole bunch of settings to get it to work right. I think I'm traumatized by a few JB issue threads. How do I know if there is a corrupted file on my SD card and if I update and there is one, how do I know which one it might be so I can delete it? Things like that bother me and make me not want to do it

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
How much did it cost you mate? I just recieved the samsung branded wired version for equivalent of say $22.... should i have waited for my xmas money n bought the dongle?

Also, does it work with direct sunlight shining the window?
I have a few toys which are either infrared or bluetooth that refuse to work in sunlight.

As for my mhl-hdmi adaptor... DEFINATELY go samsung. I bought one a bit cheaper, returned it 2ce before getting refund and a sammy one :)

MERRY XMAS!!!X
Unbranded international s3 with Official 4.1.2 JB. Paisley, Slotland, Western Europe :beer:

Targon

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
The "wired version" is just a HDMI connector, so isn't really all that complicated. The AllShare Cast Hub is a wireless device that then connects to a HDMI. $90 US Dollars is the going rate, and for wireless streaming from the phone, it isn't bad. No problems with light since I think it uses WiFi communications, not Infrared.

How much did it cost you mate? I just recieved the samsung branded wired version for equivalent of say $22.... should i have waited for my xmas money n bought the dongle?

Also, does it work with direct sunlight shining the window?
I have a few toys which are either infrared or bluetooth that refuse to work in sunlight.

As for my mhl-hdmi adaptor... DEFINATELY go samsung. I bought one a bit cheaper, returned it 2ce before getting refund and a sammy one :)

MERRY XMAS!!!X
Unbranded international s3 with Official 4.1.2 JB. Paisley, Slotland, Western Europe :beer:

Areplat

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
I have 55" samsung TV, but unfortunaly I still don't have Android Phone. So I use Windows Media Player to send videos to TV. It works good even though TV and Laptop bouth are connected via Wi-Fi from old router to my home network.

makaroni

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I have 55" samsung TV, but unfortunaly I still don't have Android Phone. So I use Windows Media Player to send videos to TV. It works good even though TV and Laptop bouth are connected via Wi-Fi from old router to my home network.

I've done this before but the phone works better for me.

music_man

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys,
Would appreciate further enlightenment on this matter.
I have a Samsung smart tv (series 6) with All Share (don't know if it's All Share Play or All Share Cast) and a Note 10.1 with All Share Cast and All Share Play. While I can use All Share Play to project photos, videos and music stored in my Note 10.1 to the tv , I am puzzled as to the following:-

Q1. Is it possible to mirror my Note 10.1 to the tv using All Share Cast?
Q2. If affirmative, how do I go about doing it as my Note 10.1 can't seem to scan the tv after starting All Share Cast.

Thank you.
Best regards,
KC

Steve7714

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Great review...

Does anyone know if it possible to use All Share Cast at the same time as using WiFi? I've got a Samsung 7.0 Plus table (WiFi only), and am considering buying the All Share Cast Dongle so I can share the screen while web browsing. on my old Samsung DLP. I understand All Share uses Wifi also, but I'm not sure if the tablet can do both at the same time

Thanks in advance
Steve

lilone4u2

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
K I want to know if I can use my phones mobile hotspot as the internet connection between the two? Im installing the whole wireless video feel in my car to two 18'' moniters thatll mirrior the videos off my galaxy note 2 too the monitors.......other wise ill just get a seperate mobile hopspot.........and data plan......please help let me know if my phone mobile hotspot will work

jensigner

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
I just received and set up the AllShare Cast Wireless Hub with my Samsung 51" PN6500 (which has AllShare play but not AllShare cast). Setup was a breeze. I registered my GS4 and my partners GS3 easily and once registered (with reset button) subsequent connections with either phone is super easy.

My question is about audio passthrough to my receiver using AllShare cast with this hub: Does the AllShare connection to HDMI output support HD audio (like a regular HDMI transport) ? e.g. 24bit/96kHz wav ?. Has anyone tried this?

Update: After a quick test, it looks like the AllShare connection will only "passthrough" exactly what you'd experience on the phone alone. So using the default Music player on my GS4 SGH-I337 which doesn't support 24bit/96kHz playback (but DOES playback 24bit/48kHz with some possibly downsampling), the AllShare connection shows the identical capability.

Last edited:

Brandon puntin

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
There is an allshare widget :)
Screenshot_2013-06-30-00-42-53.jpg

Mahogany512

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
Does any one know if the samsung galaxy tablet 10.1 has the all share cast feature.? I use it on my note 2 but dont see the option on the tablet..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12