Galaxy S3 LifeProof Review

Medic3166

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I decided to pick up the LifeProof case for my GS3 today. I went with the model that has the built-in screen protector like most other LIfeProof cases out there. I like the concept of the Nuud case, but I don't trust myself to leave the screen exposed. The screen protector fits flush with the screen, and typing on it is like typing on the screen itself. Nothing at all like using an Otterbox Defender or one of the Original Lifeproof iPhone cases.

The case itself doesn't add too much extra bulk to the phone. I was looking at the OtterBox Armor series before buying this, and once I saw it in the store, it seriously looks like a Note2 compared to the LifeProof case...

I've only noticed a few cons so far. First, the speaker volume is substantially lower. I knew prior to buying the case that it would be effected, but it was a little more than I anticipated. Also, none of my aftermarket cables fit in the charge port. Only the OEM cable fits, and even that is a tight one. Overall though, it's a great case.

20130810_194732.jpg

20130810_194753.jpg

20130810_195123.jpg

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I bought my S3 LifeProof case Monday. I love it. I feel the phone is finally safe.

I have had to whittle down a few cables to fit. I plan to order a new Note 2 charger and cable....fits perfectly in the opening. Plus the 2a charger works great.

I ecommend the LifeProof case, I also got the Frē. It has the built in screen protector...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Medic3166

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I have had to whittle down a few cables to fit. I plan to order a new Note 2 charger and cable....fits perfectly in the opening. Plus the 2a charger works great. 4

I'll probably do that for the cable I use for my car. It kinda sucks that I can't use the iBolt dock that I have, but I'd rather have the phone protected.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

lilnotts

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
Any issues with call clarity? Sounds like that is the biggest issue with the Otterbox Armor, my gf also has an issue with her lifeproof on her iphone. Would love a waterproof case but I still want to have clear calls for myself as well as whoever is on the other line.

Barb Miller1

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
How did you whittle down the cables to make it fit. My H just bought this case and he can't fit the charger into the phone without taking the case off. Sort of a hassle.

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I just took my knife and whittled the plastic down around the plug.

Best bet is to get the charger n cable from a Note 2. Fits perfectly in the LifeProof opening.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

Jason Kramer

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
I just bought the Lifeproof fre from bestbuy and it fails the leak test every time. Returning for another and try again. Becareful it looks like the charging port is the problem on this one.

Scarab

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Buyer beware . . . .

With any full waterproof case, both incoming call volume and outgoing mic clarity will be somewhat affected. There is a waterproof membrane over both the mic, and the speaker. In my case (the NuuD version), both were severe enough that I can't use the case. I could barely hear anyone unless I used a headset or bluetooth device. Whether I used the mic, or the speaker, callers told me they could not hear me clearly, they told me my voice was muffled, "cloudy" or not loud enough to understand what I was saying.

According to the product FAQ for iPhones (because there isn't one for the Samsung Galaxy S3), pressure may build inside the case, pushing the membrane when you install it. Lifeproof suggests blowing into the mic to push the membrane away. This didn't work for me. I disassembled, and reassembled the case several times in an attempt to improve both issues, but nothing works. Even more alarming, an email support request to Lifeproof went unanswered, so I threw mine in a drawer. There are no refunds if you buy direct, so buyer beware. Lesson learned, I'm out $89, but it's the last time I do that.

I had the same issue with Seido and Otterbox waterproof cases, but I was able to return it for a refund. Since I have friends successfully using a Lifeproof case on their iPhones, I had expected it to be a good solution, or at least something I could live with. I'm a boater, so waterproofing my phone is something I really need. So after a year of experimenting, I'm probably going to use my old Droid for a week or two while I send the SIII to Liquipel for a $75 waterproofing treatment. This appears to be the only solution for me, next to buying a ruggedized/waterproof device.

feltonjones

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
First off, I have the case with the screen protector and I love it.
I have taken it into a pool with my kids and snapped a few pics and took some video after doing the water test. Before you buy this, though, be aware of a few things:
1) There are currently NO available accessories through Lifeproof like the ones available for the IPhone cases. There are no armbands, handlebar mounts or earphones. If you see reviews on the internet showing earphone adapters, etc. keep in mind that these are not the genuine article although the packaging may look authentic (at least at the time of this post).
2) If you do plan on taking pictures underwater, you will not be able to use your screen as the shutter button. You will have to use an app such as VolShutter to use your volume buttons as the shutter button. This works fine for me.
3)Their warranty is for their case, not your phone. If the case fails, I believe that they will replace the warrantied case, not your phone. If purchased directly from Lifeproof, I think that there is a warranty for your phone that is available for an additional fee.
In response to some previous posts:
1)When I resized my power cords to fit in the power port, I used a file on the cord. If you have a Dremel tool, that would work but it will take the material down really fast so be careful.
2)Also, if you purchase direct from Lifeproof, I believe they have a 1 year warranty on their product. Try to reach them by phone, email, or by their Facebook page if you have issues with your product. By posting on Facebook, I think that they would respond fairly promptly as you are providing negative feedback on a public forum that can be viewed by potential buyers.

Attachments

• IMG_20130804_160236.jpg
    IMG_20130804_160236.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seniorengineerdood