09-20-2010 03:01 PM
28 12
tools
    It seems like every one of the comparisons iv seen of the new Samsung phones vs anything puts touchwiz in the negative column. Why? Im not a huge fan of sense, all it does is make android look uglier imo. From what iv seen of touchwiz 3.0 in the videos it actually looks really elegant, am I missing something? Have any of the downers actually tried touchwiz 3.0 for themselves?
    13curly likes this.
    07-03-2010 12:37 AM
    Ya, I would prefer stock android, but touchwiz doesn't look bad here.

I want to know if the standard email/gmail apps are still available, or if Samsung will only give us their unified mail app. I have two gmail accounts and thats it, so I don't really care about anything else, and I would prefer to use googles app.
    07-03-2010 02:38 AM
    I don't hate it, though I admit I like the "look" of sense more. I just hope we're not locked into it. It'd be nice to have the option to turn it off. Just nice to have your options open.
    07-03-2010 03:22 AM
    What I really want is the cool revolving app thing on the app menu.

Anyway, here is a pretty good overview of tw3. Samsung I9000 Galaxy S review: From outer space - GSMArena.com
    TreyDaPrince and valueman like this.
    07-03-2010 03:47 AM
    I agree. TW 3.0 looks really elegant on Galaxy phones. I don't think Sense is bad and it "may" be more useful because of the HTC customizations and widgets, but I have to say TW looks way more cool than Sense. I cant understand why people complain about iphonish look. For one - you can change it to vertical scrollable list and Its rather more webOS like in behavior. I like the idea of having a fixed bar at bottom hosting icons for 3 most used apps quickly accessible on one tap no matter which home screen you are on. If you want to jump between home screens, touch the respective "dot" at the top of the screen and there you go. Hopefully same behavior is present in app menu since it has same kind "dots" on top of the screen for all app pages.

I almost always have trouble quickly finding the right app from huge list in app drawer. It usually kind of goes like this:: Click on app drawer icon -> flick up -> Tap to stop the fast scroll (since I cant spot my desired app in that fast movement) -> Not there yet so flick up again -> tap to stop -> Then slowly drag the finger up to get to my app -> click on app icon. Or, just simple slowlt drag finger up to get to the right app. I am sure unless you have less than 20 apps in your app drawer, you would be doing something similar. (Ofcourse I can put my favorite apps on home screens, but not every app I install is my favorite). But in TW, it goes like this:: Tap app menu icon -> tap the dot on top of the app menu to jump to the page my app is on (if I know that already) -> tap the app icon. Makes some part of the life easy at least. If you dont want 7 home screens, delete unused ones (I dont know if Sense allows you to do this).

I saw a video on youtube of European Galaxy S running LauncherPro instead of TW. If you still have complaints with it, disable it. But stop complaining about TW interface.
    07-03-2010 04:57 AM
    People dont like it because it doesnt have "3D' effects and the icons designs arent as flashy as some of the others.

However, I think in terms of usability wise and the User interface portion at least, it is most certainly up there with the rest of them.

I think they've incorporated some features that help the android UI. One really cool feature is the swiping left to call and swiping right to text in the contacts list. A really handy feature.

Another feature that I like about the TW is seperate application grid windows. Unlike the vanilla application list windows where its all alphabetical, you'll have a hard time finding your application once you have more than 40. With the TW, you can put the appropriate apps on different screens and go directly to those home screens.

I've heard that in a new firmware, you can even put apps on top of apps to create folders, just like how iOS does. Dont quote me on this as it something that I came across someone talking about it on the interweb.
    07-03-2010 01:11 PM
    People dont like it because it doesnt have "3D' effects and the icons designs arent as flashy as some of the others.

I think they've incorporated some features that help the android UI. One really cool feature is the swiping left to call and swiping right to text in the contacts list. A really handy feature.

I've heard that in a new firmware, you can even put apps on top of apps to create folders, just like how iOS does. Dont quote me on this as it something that I came across someone talking about it on the interweb.
    It will be really nice to have the folder feature in app menu. Really useful in sorting apps and making them easier to find.
    For people who want 3D effect, they can use LP or other 3rd party launcher instead, but I hope they would find little customizations like swiping to call/text from contacts and call log useful enough to stick with TW to try it out. I also read somewhere that samsung has done better job with their media player than HTC did.
    07-03-2010 03:34 PM
    I'm one of the one's that does like it. I feel like they focused on adding things that make the user experience user. For example, the power controls in the notifications panel is awesome.
    07-03-2010 03:54 PM
    Yes, those controls are really great. I love having them on my Pre, and probably the biggest reason why I jailbroke my iPad was to get instant access to brightness and the radios. Microsoft figured this out 10 years ago in windows mobile, why is it that nobody else can seem to get it right?

Does using launcherpro totally get rid of touchwiz, or just the launcher itself? the swipe to call stuff is in the address book, so AFAIK it shouldn't be affected.
    07-03-2010 06:32 PM
    What I really want is the cool revolving app thing on the app menu.

Anyway, here is a pretty good overview of tw3. Samsung I9000 Galaxy S review: From outer space - GSMArena.com
    After reading that page and watching the video there, I'm actually pretty impressed with Touchwiz. It looks very smooth and polished, and besides looking a "little" iphone-ish, I don't really see any way in which it hinders the overall use of the phone. I actually like some of the enhancements to android they added.
    Cory Streater likes this.
    07-03-2010 07:00 PM
    Thanks for the link.. I'm hoping the Epic 4G will be very close to that review... makes it more worthwhile waiting for it and passing on the EVO
    07-03-2010 07:21 PM
    is the option to turn touchwiz off and run stock android available? It would be nice to have that flexibility.
    07-05-2010 08:29 AM
    Touch Wiz is still up in the air for me. I know many hated it on WM devices and I never was a fan. I am willing to give this a chance though.
    07-06-2010 02:47 PM
    After seeing the demo of launcher pro, it basically fixes the two main problems: the ugly launcher and the weird arrangement of home screens.

Is theree any way to get scenes/profiles or whatever they are called like on the HTC devices with a third party app?
    07-06-2010 04:26 PM
    Touch Wiz is still up in the air for me. I know many hated it on WM devices and I never was a fan. I am willing to give this a chance though.
    Touch Wiz 2.0 and below were absolutely horrible.

However, this 3.0 version seems really well thought out in my opinion.
    07-06-2010 08:36 PM
    I agree and could very well trump the Bing idea. We will see. I am definitely in love with this device though.
    07-07-2010 12:35 AM
    I think Touchwiz on the Galaxy S phones is amazing and really impressive. Who cares if it looks kind of like the Iphone. As long as I can function through the phone easy I'm happy with it. Personally, I don't like the way HTC Sence UI looks on the Evo. People need to stop trippin about this.
    08-10-2010 02:39 AM
    samsung doesnt support there phones, more then enough reason right there to not get it.
    08-10-2010 06:43 PM
    From what I hear there are PLENTY of HTC phones that didn't get much support- perhaps that was more carrier mandated- perhaps not. The issue is GALAXY is different.

Sense had some good ideas- Launcher pro copied ALL OF THEM. Beautiful widgets provides better clock and weather options. Between those 2- you have ZERO reason to relegate yourself to ANY carrier or handset skin.

Get the new moto phones- get sense or get touchwiz- if you don't like any of those - there's other launchers and apps to FIX that for you. This is a major selling point of android over other mobile OS- EVERYTHING about the phones is open to options via apps.

Personally, I really like touchwiz for their contacts/dialer, the customizable icons ever present in the dock and the customizable app tray and the ability to add pages to the app tray and the ability to remove home screens. For an ex PRE user- this adds features we already had to the android experience.

Stop hating on an OS skin folks- they're all changeable using another launcher- time to move on.
    08-11-2010 12:20 AM
    I think Touchwiz on the Galaxy S phones is amazing and really impressive. Who cares if it looks kind of like the Iphone.
    It only looks like an iPhone if you don't do anything to it. I spent like three days getting my SGS all prettied up and now I'm really really happy with how it looks.

The guy above is right too... Between beautiful widgets, launcher pro and custom roms/themes/mods you can do whatever you like.

I'll say that stock SenseUI is way prettier than stock TWiz and it nearly made me go with a Desire over my Galaxy, but either way you can tweak it just how you like.

I guess the problem is that there's a lot of people coming off of other platforms who are stuck in the mind set that what it looks like out of the box is all you're getting and never even think about just how customizable android is. I mean if you want to put in the man hours you can totally rebuild all the graphical assets in any android device.

For the less intrepid, between the really good widget packs, homescreen apps and a well chosen background, you're good to go.

samsung doesnt support there phones, more then enough reason right there to not get it.
    I don't get the 'Samsung doesn't support their phones' argument either. The ROMs keep rolling out, what else do you want them to do ?
    08-18-2010 08:28 PM
    I've been using my phone for s while now and love touch wiz. l live the fact you have the ability to turn wifi and gps is the notification pull down. I like the horizontal scroll through apps. I'm glad I can change the apps in the launcher bar.
    08-21-2010 10:49 AM
    I've been using my phone for s while now and love touch wiz. l live the fact you have the ability to turn wifi and gps is the notification pull down. I like the horizontal scroll through apps. I'm glad I can change the apps in the launcher bar.
    Most of the hate might be because of slowdowns in the Vibrant and Captivate and because some people may be skeptical of Touchwiz after the Behold II disaster. I myself know that Touchwiz 3.0 (or 2.5 in the case of the Epic) is much better, but I think I will still root and try other ROMs.
    08-21-2010 11:51 AM
    I want the Epic 4G but will wait for a Vanilla ROM to come out for it.
    08-21-2010 10:23 PM
    There are some tweaks out there to fix the lag. I'm running the stock rom rooted with the lag fix found on the xda forums. That has fixed any lag issues you will have. A factory reset once you buy the phone is a good idea too.
    08-22-2010 12:00 PM
    There are some tweaks out there to fix the lag. I'm running the stock rom rooted with the lag fix found on the xda forums. That has fixed any lag issues you will have. A factory reset once you buy the phone is a good idea too.
    And this is one of the reasons why Touchwiz 3.9 CAN be a very good customization for Android. All it takes is a few tweaks to make it cleaner and more polished.
    08-22-2010 06:17 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD