Samsung Open source for Galaxy S? - Link

drizek

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Awesome. I am feeling pretty good about Samsung's support for this phone. Although I guess MIcrosoft spent a quarter of a billion dollars promoting Kin and then killed it off in a matter of weeks, so who knows?

Can someone please explain one thing to me though?

Bada. Why?

ConceptVBS

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Awesome. I am feeling pretty good about Samsung's support for this phone. Although I guess MIcrosoft spent a quarter of a billion dollars promoting Kin and then killed it off in a matter of weeks, so who knows?

Can someone please explain one thing to me though?

Bada. Why?

Bada is really a souped up feature phone OS with smartphone like features.

It will generally be cheaper, less powerful (software side) than a fully blown smartphone OS (Android, iOS, Palm, Windows 7 mobile, etc).

What Samsung wants to do is take their considerable market share in feature phone market (something like 22% of the entire world's feature phone market) and slowly convert them over to the Bada OS platform.

From a developers' standpoint, that 22% (220 million phones) is a mighty fine potential customer base for this platform ( 20 times larger than the iPhones market share in the smartphone market).

The Bada OS was in development for 6 years and is based off of Linux kernel (a platform that is very familiar to developers, plus with C/C++ developing language almost everyone is familiar with). It will be relatively easy to port over all the software from other platforms to the Bada OS.

TreyDaPrince

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
As everyday passes, the more I fall in love with this phone. This phone hasn't been getting a lot of love from others but this thing is going to be one heck of a device. Its ok though, just means I won't have to wait in a long line or back order to get one.

gothdroid

Mar 20, 2010
www.twitter.com
gothdriod, can you give us a rundown of what all is included? Is it pretty much every bit?

just from the quick look I gave it yesterday looks like it has the drivers for the modem, sound, vibrate, baseband. There maybe more that I am missing but I just took a quick look before I went to work. As soon as CM6 source is released I'm gunna try and work on getting it to run on the Vibrant

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc