GSM radio in Sprint Galaxy?

Stephen Fortner

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
First post on this forum. I did some searching, including the pop-up-suggested threads that came up when I typed in the subject line for this post, and didn't find anything conclusive. So, apologies if I missed an answer that's already here.

I'm having a very hard time finding any hard information as to whether the Galaxy S Pro--the one that runs on Sprint's network--also has GSM capabilities that would allow it to work in Europe.

I travel there on business frequently enough that my dream phone is something that would run on Sprint's 4G/3G CDMA networks here, but that I could pop a prepaid SIM card into when I'm across the pond.

Sprint actually told me that for the world phones they do carry (at this time only Blackberries), the SIM slot is unlocked--you can choose to use their international service but unlike Verizon, they don't care what you do with the GSM side of the phone. Except, I don't want a Blackberry. I want a cool Android smartphone with a 4" or larger screen and a physical keyboard.

Should I relegate this to the same mental drawer as my lottery fantasies?

ConceptVBS

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I DID some people mentioning this. However, we wont know for sure until we have it in our hands.

If that is the case, then this would be the ULTIMATE phone.

taylormah

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Do you know if the GSM radio in Sprint's above mentioned Blackberry can run on AT&T or Tmobile's voice/3G network?? Just curious about the capability of GSM sharing body with CDMA device!!

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Do you know if the GSM radio in Sprint's above mentioned Blackberry can run on AT&T or Tmobile's voice/3G network?? Just curious about the capability of GSM sharing body with CDMA device!!

If I remember correctly (I had the BB Tour which was a World phone), you could use a T-Mobile/AT&T SIM card for voice only and I think it didn't hit 3G status but Edge instead.

wphend00

May 17, 2010
Visit site
If I remember correctly (I had the BB Tour which was a World phone), you could use a T-Mobile/AT&T SIM card for voice only and I think it didn't hit 3G status but Edge instead.

Most world phones,if you can unlock the radios, will allow you to use them on AT&T and T-mobile's networks, but only for voice and EDGE data.

I had a Touch Pro2... and once the RADIO was unlocked, would run on Sprint, T-mobile and AT&T's networks, just fine. It was actually very nice.

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Most world phones,if you can unlock the radios, will allow you to use them on AT&T and T-mobile's networks, but only for voice and EDGE data.

I had a Touch Pro2... and once the RADIO was unlocked, would run on Sprint, T-mobile and AT&T's networks, just fine. It was actually very nice.

Yeah, it was pretty neat to have and it was very easy to have Sprint unlock mine for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair