I have a Samsung Galaxy Express and its KILLING me!! It is so slow that it is actually painful to make a simple phone call. My RAM is about 80-90% full on average. I have 11 total Apps that I have installed, I am as bare minimum as I can possibly go at this point. I have "Clean Master" installed and I use it all day every day, although to what effect im not even sure anymore, it appeared to help in the beginning but...
    I have disabled some factory apps, I am not android savvy enough to feel comfortable doing much but I did disable some Yahoo apps, Weather Widgets, Stock/Weather Daemon, TalkBack, Screen-savers, Samsung TTS, S Voice, Polaris, Music Hub, Favorite Apps/Contacts...ect. Basically things I already never used and likely never will. This was also helpful at first but maintains little lasting effect. So in my misery of waiting in upwards of a minute or more at times for simple things like my keyboard to pop-up or my Phone app to respond I decided that I would Root my phone. In doing so, free up some space by moving things to my card since the phone does not currently allow it. Ive made a few unsuccessful attempts and I just dont even understand the process enough to know where to go from here. The whole thing is stressing me the hell out, and I can not, will not buy a new phone! I refuse to be a slave to the insanity of todays cell phone market, spending crazy amounts of money on a phone. I have no need to be cool or have the "newest" thing available I just wanna call some people, text once n a while, keep myself up-to-date and pacify an unruly child from time to time.
    Someone please help me!! TIA!!
    03-12-2015 10:11 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Try booting into Recovery Mode and wiping the cache partition, which won't erase any personal data. Follow the steps in this video, but instead of selecting Wipe Data/Factory Reset, make sure you select Wipe Cache Partition. When complete, then select Reboot System Now.

If that doesn't help, I would try uninstalling CleanMaster. Apps like that can be helpful in certain respects, but they can also slow the system down by doing inappropriate things (like automatically closing apps, which is not how Android likes to operate--see this article: RAM: What it is, how it's used, and why you shouldn't care | Android Central). CleanMaster probably also hogs a bit of RAM itself--I've noticed that "RAM cleaner" apps typically increase the RAM used from around 70% to 90%.

In terms of the cost of a new phone, you can find some excellent phones these days for pretty cheap, like the Moto G and the Moto E. As phones age, they just don't keep the pace with increasing demands of updated system versions and updated apps. Obsolescence is an unavoidable fact in the tech world.
    03-13-2015 12:28 PM
    Thank you, I did remove CleanMaster and wiped the cache partition. I have not had a chance to see the effect of that but I did already notice a slight improvement after uninstalling CleanMaster. Crossing my fingers that it continues to improve, if even just a little.
    Thank you again!!
    B. Diddy likes this.
    03-14-2015 02:17 AM