01-18-2011 09:21 PM
104 ... 345
tools
    yet still likes a half-truth at best. Why are small regional carriers getting Froyo? Wouldn't it make sense for them to be more resistive to paying for a major upgrade than the Big 4? Also, don't the carriers and manufacturer work out all these things in contracts before hand? Most likely, so either the big 4 never intended these phones to be upgraded or they are in breach and risking a lawsuit (I doubt either is true)
    01-18-2011 03:14 PM
    In most cases, these small carriers only started carrying Samsung after Froyo was already released, or foresaw the problem having heard about it from the big boys.

Working things out in contract ahead of time didn't help, because Samsung changed the definition of a routine android update and has decided it considers it a feature update. The rapidity of Samsung adoption by all the carriers says to me they pushed hard, offered a very low cost per unit, and glossed over a lot just to get the phones onto each carrier's network, and now feel they have them over a barrel.
    01-18-2011 03:24 PM
    yet still likes a half-truth at best. Why are small regional carriers getting Froyo? Wouldn't it make sense for them to be more resistive to paying for a major upgrade than the Big 4? Also, don't the carriers and manufacturer work out all these things in contracts before hand? Most likely, so either the big 4 never intended these phones to be upgraded or they are in breach and risking a lawsuit (I doubt either is true)
    The small regional carriers have a lot less phones to upgrade, and they can't afford to lose any customers. The big 4 can afford to **** off a few people in order to save money.

I'm not sure if I believe this or not, but it makes more sense than the original rumor. The question is, if this is true, who do we blame? Samsung for charging the carriers, or the carriers for not paying Samsung?
    01-18-2011 03:24 PM
    Also, don't the carriers and manufacturer work out all these things in contracts before hand?
    Yes I am certain they do, what I guess happened is it was not till later that Samsung classified what Froyo is. since other carriers classified it as a maintenance upgrade, so would Samsung. But then Samsung came out with something different and wanted more money.

I am probably wrong but it is the only thing that makes since to me at this point in time.
    01-18-2011 09:21 PM
104 ... 345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD