The story behind the 'Samsung doesn't want you to have Froyo' thing ...

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
So there's that story going around (first reported at AndroidSpin) from a tipster regarding the Android 2.2 update for the Vibrant, and how Samsung, not T-Mobile, supposedly is holding up the update. We got that tip, too, and we've been talking with the tipster. Here, with his/her permission, is the tip.

We've edited it a bit for readability and to protect a few personal details. But you'll get the gist of it.
I started a Field Trainer for [redacted] and I am now [working Android] at T-Mobile. Some disturbing things have happened the last week or so concerning our "Vibrant". Samsung has NOT allowed us to push the update OTA for 2.2 because they feel it will decrease the value of the upcoming Vibrant4G +.

While from a marketing aspect I totally understand, as the Vibrant 4G is what the original Vibrant should have been in the 1st place. But to shun off and bold face lie to customers is NOT what T-Mobile is about.

Trust me when I tell you, we had an update for the original G1, and HTC begged us not to. In 75% of the cases known to me in my [time] here and my [time] dealing with Android I will say that honestly most upgrade hold offs were the Manufacturer and NOT us as some believe. But we catch the flack.

I am tired. [redacted] I am up to here with Samsung. They pulled the same thing with the Behold 2 that I MYSELF had to clean up and caught wind over. The update to 2.1 update 1 is existant yet Samsung (for marketing reasons) felt that it would be better to just move forward. Samsung's only concern is general sales, NOT RETENTION. They could care less if you buy the phone, get pissed and cancel T-Mobile contract. All they care about is they got your sale.

So pushing out anything like 2.2 or 2.3 is not in the books as something they plan on doing. It has nothing to do with bugs. The US version of Froyo for the Vibrant works flawlessly as I am using it now. But they feel that would be
1 less thing to brag about when Vibrant 4G launches. Being that Vibrant 4G and Vibrant have exactly same stats, added FFC and a new movie and the 4G.

But i will tell you this. the original vibrant CAN utilize 4G FULLY. Yes FULLY. Not what they are telling you. [Later clarified as "I do not mean Hardware is capable of 4G. I'm saying theoretical speeds of up to 5mbps. We already have publicly said that most would see a speed increase and be able to utilize the 4G speeds of our network."]

We were prepared for this with the update which would change the 3G to a 4G logo when in HSPA+ areas. But Sammy again said NO! I writing you so we can honestly move forward. Maybe customers will file a class action will get them off the chair and make them move. Hopefully the information contained herein will help you with an editorial on this serious issue and not blind the people with the "P.R. answers" being given by Sammy's Twitter accounts and Customer Service.
So there you go. The entire tip. Is it all on the level? Dunno. We're not even sure we believe it all. (We're skeptical like that.) But the fact is we're all still waiting on Froyo for the Vibrant.

JayPhill89

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
That's sad but almost expected that Samsung and T-mobile would hold back to boost sales. I'm sure many companies do the same thing with their hardware/software upgrades. The bold faced lies that the Samsung twitter accounts pushes them over the line in my opinion.

I know how skeptical people people were with at&t and Samsung when the Captivate was released. I went ahead and bought one anyway and couldn't be happier with Samsung. There are at least 5 new versions of android for Galaxy S phones posted on XDA and SamFirmwares weekly. It shows that Samsung is prepared to release something, albeit when they feel the timing is right.

With my Captivate running 2.2.1, and a full 2.3 theme of course, I'd still keep Samsung in mind when picking out my next device. They may get some bad publicity but the way things stand now, they can at least build something which gets leaked out. Then the people who know how to tweak and develop until the full potential of the device is reached can do their thing.

And with that, stay optimistic guys!

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Yeah im taking this with a grain of salt. So he is saying that Samsung thinks that 2.2 is a big enough sell that they would deny the older phones an update....Nexus S had Gingerbread and it didnt outsell any of the other phones. If by that logic why would they sell the Nexus S??????

anon(4749830)

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
This sounds like a bunch of FUD. If Samsung wanted T-Mobile to delay the update, then Samsung themselves would have just delayed developing it. Since when does the carrier develop the actual updates?

Furthermore, would Samsung have developed the so-called Vibrant 4G if T-Mo didn't ask for it? I doubt it. So if anything, it looks like T-Mo would lose out the most if the Vibrant 4G didn't sell.

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Regardless, my thing is this: T-Mobile's the one that has to worry about selling Vibrants. Not Sammy. Sammy sells to T-Mo, T-Mo sells to us.

KCphotog

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
This is a two fold situation in my eyes. As a customer I rely on T-mobile to provide me with a good user experience both with the service and device purchased from them.

I can see if Samsung is putting up a wall here that things would be difficult but it would seem that T-Mobile needs to sack up and demand the update for their customers if the problem truly is on Samsungs side.
When we complain Samsung doesn't care. T-mobile or any other carrier has the power of voice here and they seems to be silent. Its not like anyone is forcing these carriers to sell Samsungs products. The other problem is that these carriers are not forcing timely updates. Who do you blame here! Seems they are both equally at fault and at the end of the day we Vibrant users are no better off then the day we purchased the phone.

Another thing that seems odd to me is the fact that other regions are getting the update. Then the talk about other local carriers getting the update on the same line phone. It still feels like a he said she said situation with no hard facts.

Either way... will make for a good conversation on the podcast.
Have we ever really had solid info when it comes to the galaxy s line in the US on anything?

Was looking forward to the new Samsung phones but it seems my Vibrant will be the last one I own. Too bad.

Last edited:

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
From a support point of view:

Let's say that the people on the internet are a good representative of the average customer. They aren't but play along ;)

You release the update. You tell customers that the phone has reached end of life, and bug fixes aside, expect no more updates. If a customer is interested in additional features, direct them to the new product. The huge majority of customers are happy, and support is happy.

I don't buy this story.

Ronindan

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
This does not make sense. If Samsung is holding back the updates, how come they are issuing 2.2 to other carriers vibrant. For example Bells.

KCphotog

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
This does not make sense. If Samsung is holding back the updates, how come they are issuing 2.2 to other carriers vibrant. For example Bells.

That was one of my points. Hell...we already know that Samsungs Galaxy S hardware can run Gingerbread with no issues. Its not like 2.2 is new. Its not even new for the Galaxy S line at this point.

It could be that T-Mobile wants to kill this phone for the upcoming 4G phone though. I guess time will tell.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
As much as my gut is telling me to buy into this story (probably because of the general frustration with the whole Froyo issue), I don't know how much I'm buying into this guy and his story. Although I agree that Samsung could care less if someone is cancelling their contract because they already got your sale, I do believe that Samsung, and other companies for that matter, are smart enough to know that there is such a thing as saturation and over-saturation of the market. If Samsung continues to receive bad rep for it's stumbles with updating it's US line of Galaxy Phones, word will spread.

The market is growing more intelligent. Although the vast majority of users are average consumers who may not even know what the hell Froyo is, I see the gap between forum goers like ourselves and "average consumers" shrinking as Android grows and becomes a larger part of the Smartphone market. As that happens, more and more people will become educated on the update process and what to expect from an Android device when they buy it -- including future updates.

One could argue that this will take a long time, and you're probably right. But why would Samsung intentionally damage it's own reputation all so it can make a quick buck in the short term. Companies are evil, but they're not stupid. Froyo has been available outside the US on most of the Galaxy line for a while now, and people know that (at least the educated ones). There's too much information, in my mind, pointing the finger at the carriers. Hell, it took Verizon until now just to release a maintenance update for the Fascinate.

soccerdon1981

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
From a support point of view:

Let's say that the people on the internet are a good representative of the average customer. They aren't but play along ;)

You release the update. You tell customers that the phone has reached end of life, and bug fixes aside, expect no more updates. If a customer is interested in additional features, direct them to the new product. The huge majority of customers are happy, and support is happy.

I don't buy this story.

Well said.

Sent from my Samsung Fascinate via Tapatalk

Smokexz

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Samsung sells them, whether or not T-Mobile makes the sale is a loss of T-Mobiles money. There seems to be a huge confusion with manufacturing, you pay for what it costed to make it and ship it, that's if you buy the device off contract. Now if you buy the device with contract, generally T-Mobile makes little money from selling you the device for 200, the 2 year strapped contract is what makes them the dough and then some. Essentially speaking, this could not be Samsung, but T-Mobile, the one who loses the most profit is T-Mobile for actually buying bulks they cannot actually sell. I don't think it is Samsung, cause if Samsung put Froyo on the Vibrant, it would sell the original Vibrant, and they would make money. It has already been proven that the froyo updates are there for carrier to fix up for their variant, almost every Galaxy S device has several leaked versions of Froyo. They work too, I have it on mine, make phone calls, use flash, data. it all works. This guy makes no sense, T-Mobile is the one holding the update and T-Mobile is the one calling marketing strategies, once Sammy makes it, T-Mobile has to sell it, and that is who got this brilliant conspiracy(should we call it that?) To sell the Vibrant 4g.

Sent from my Nexus S

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
If its the carrier then why hasn't sprint released Froyo for the epic 4G? The only thing in common is Samsung.

There have been a LOT of issues with Froyo on the Epic from all accounts, I'd like to think they're still working on those issues.

The common theme is virtually every other Galaxy S outside the United States has the update available to it. Common theme here: the carriers.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
If its the carrier then why hasn't sprint released Froyo for the epic 4G? The only thing in common is Samsung.

By that logic , all the other countries with samsung devices have it, so the only thing in common is America.... even the Canadians have a set dat THE CANADIANS!!!!