The story behind the 'Samsung doesn't want you to have Froyo' thing ...

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
The carriers? God only knows, I wish I had the answer to that question. I've always had a sneaking suspicion on Verizon is that they can't get their bloatware crap to work right with the update, but it's been delayed on all the carriers. Who knows.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
The carriers? God only knows, I wish I had the answer to that question. I've always had a sneaking suspicion on Verizon is that they can't get their bloatware crap to work right with the update, but it's been delayed on all the carriers. Who knows.

According to Phil, it is on Sammy's court. Not the carriers.

Ronindan

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

That to me is the main reason that Samsung has not yet released froyo for American carriers.

The Telus fascinate did not have any proprietary Telus apps (Telus Nav, Telus Web, etc..). It only has Samsung own apps and Touch Wiz off course. I am not sure for Bell's Vibrant and Rogers Captivate.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
where did he say that?

So there's that story going around (first reported at AndroidSpin) from a tipster regarding the Android 2.2 update for the Vibrant, and how Samsung, not T-Mobile, supposedly is holding up the update. We got that tip, too, and we've been talking with the tipster. Here, with his/her permission, is the tip.

Really? Dude, come on! Phil posted the tip. Does he, or any one believe it? That is the debate of this thread guy! Happy Android droidXcon!

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Most carries don't take more than a month filling an OS with bloat. Money by Pink Floyd, yes it is a GAS! Not a brake..OY!

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
[/INDENT]So there you go. The entire tip. Is it all on the level? Dunno. We're not even sure we believe it all. (We're skeptical like that.) But the fact is we're all still waiting on Froyo for the Vibrant.

Regardless, my thing is this: T-Mobile's the one that has to worry about selling Vibrants. Not Sammy. Sammy sells to T-Mo, T-Mo sells to us.

According to Phil, it is on Sammy's court. Not the carriers.

Does he, or any one believe it? That is the debate of this thread guy! Happy Android droidXcon!

Its phil's job to report news to us whether he believes it or not, this was not him giving an opinion this was him keeping us informed.

you just stated that "According to Phil,its in Sammys court" According to the report its in Sammsy court

but thank you for your humble and gracious response, i appreciate how respectful you can be to me and the other members of the forums

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Its phil's job to report news to us whether he believes it or not, this was not him giving an opinion this was him keeping us informed.

you just stated that "According to Phil,its in Sammys court" According to the report its in Sammsy court

but thank you for your humble and gracious response, i appreciate how respectful you can be to me and the other members of the forums
Phil posted it. And you are welcome;)

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
This is my warning: Phil created this thread to spark a discussion about the topic, not so we can argue about Phil's intent and/or his views. Keep it that way, and knock off the sarcastic remarks, I only give out warnings once.

Reactions: TheANARCHY

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Everybody chill, and stop trying to read anything into what I wrote in the OP. The meat is in what the tipster wrote, right or wrong.

Is any of it true? I don't know, and I'd urge everyone to take a deep breath. We're discussing it here because we don't know what's taking so long for the update, and it'd be inappropriate to do a blog post stating any of this as fact.

But the bigger point right now is that *everybody* needs to chill.

darkmanx2g

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Now this I am skeptical on believing. Before the vibrant I had the blackberry 8900. Was waiting for os5.0 till I couldn't wait anymore and loaded a official version of blackberry. Os 5.0 from another carrier! Its tmobile that's holding up the update.

Luckily I'm rooted and enjoying froyo 2.2 on my vibrant for 3 months now. Again my gut feeling would be tmobile is behind this.

Last edited:

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Chilling like a villein homiest : ) We all are lax like a snail!!! What you posted is debated! I think Sammy screwed em too! OY!!!!

Debo45215

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
Reading this email I was struck by one thing the writer said "We [T-Mobile] had an update for the G1, and HTC begged us not to." If I'm understanding this right, he's claiming that T-Mobile built an update for the G1 that HTC didn't want them to send it to customers. What bothers me about that is, unless I'm mistaken (and I realize I very well may be), the manufacterer (in this case HTC) would write the update then send it to the carrier who sends it to customers after testing it to make sure it will send/install properly.
And even if my understanding is wrong about the quote the only other way to read it would be that HTC made the update for the G1 sent to T-Mobile and then said "nah, G1 owners don't send it." Maybe it's just me, but unless they found out it [the G1 update] wouldn't work (which they should have seen prior to sending it to T-Mobile) this is just too bizzare to believe.
In reference to the Vibrant update, I don't know why we don't have it any more than anyone else does. But that one sentence bothered me enough to call the whole thing garbage.

ryaninc

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
Everyone loves a conspiracy, and since Samsung has a history of being severely lax in pushing updates, this rumor is somewhat believable.

But I don't buy it. The overwhelming majority of people who bought the Vibrant bought it on a 2-year contract. So does Samsung really expect enough of those people to break their contract to get the new Vibrant 4G? A few will sure, but most won't. Plus, once T-Mobile starts selling the new Vibrant, they're sure to stop selling the original, meaning new customers probably won't even know there ever was an original model.

If Samsung were trying to increase profits by not releasing an update, it would seem to make more sense for them to not spend money developing an update at all.

So while I'd love to believe this just to have someone to point the finger at, I just don't see it being true.

rahlquist

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
I have been saying this same thing for months, they are holding back this update in the US that they have released in every other place ONLY for marketing! They dont want to release 2.2 because its not going to be the magic pill that fixes the GPS problems, so people will scream loudly. See right now many are giving them the benefit of the doubt that they may be able to fix it, they cant, the GPS in the erealy galaxy S designs have a weak antenna.

They didnt release Froyo before Christmas to keep negative press down about the GPS still being broken and to see more products including tablets. They arent releasing it now in order to maximize the profit on upcoming products. They are lying to us constantly. My wife has a Nexus S and it runs G-bread beautifully. We should have Friggin G-bread on every Galaxy S device, the simple fact is they are NOT that different but the carriers and Samsung are purposely withholding this to maximize profits and to hell with us who have already invested.

You cannot tell me since the Galaxy S line was released in mid 2010 that they could not have Froyo ready to roll. Its utter BS.