Samsung Fascinate rooting and new ROM

rsachdeva

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I just bought new Samsung Fascinate from Verizon, Please advise with instructions to root and download latest ROM and backup original Samsung ROM

Regards

at100plus

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
It seems to me Verizon is throwing a wrench in the works??

I tried rooting with these instructions.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/fascinate-roms-hacks/33899-how-root.html

All looks well till the phone reboots.

Then it seems the driver I previously installed is getting overridden by a Verizon J Drive that shows in My Computer as a CD with this in contents (see screenshot).

verizoncontents.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Phone reboots then the CMD window loses contact with phone, and root won't complete.

at100plus

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I should note also, I tried on both an XP and a Win7 PC.

On XP after phone reboots, a notification in the tray comes up with Verizon logo that asks if I want to install driver for Samsung...(a Verzion website comes up in a browser window that is spawned also)

Yes or no, tried both, I get the Verizon Road Block.

In Win7 I don't get the notification or the browser spawn but I do see that Android is grayed out when I look at the usb devices in the tray

I tried to modify move or delete these J drive files, then it says I don't have admin rights (although I'm the local machine admin).

at100plus

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Should I return this thing? I don't want Verizon bloatware, I'm a techie, can't live with stock, the RAM usage on this thing is ridiculous if I don't keep using Astro file manager to kill apps every time I start using the phone heavily and the battery life is horrendous unless I keep killing apps.

If I return, what phone can I still root and which phone give me the most control of my destiny?

at100plus

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Anyone? I've read about locked bootloader, is that what I have here?

Now I'm thinking about going to the HTC Incredible, only thing I don't like is the smaller screen. Droid X seems to have its downsides too. I would miss swype and the large screen if I go incredible. Also Touchdown doesn't seem to pull all of my tasks and contacts on my Fascinate. There are two people using Droid X and two using Incredible on my Exchange server that have no sync issues. I keep looking at comparisons and can't decide. I really like the 4"+ screen!!!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power