05-19-2019 01:31 PM
39 12
tools
    So like everyone, I'm looking at case options for the S10+. Personally, since the phone itself is so light, I welcome the bulk because I tend to be accident prone. Whether I'm tripping on things; I lose grip on my phone; it gets knocked out of my hand sometimes; it falls on the floor when I'm using it or its laying on me or on my bed, yeah, I drop my phones, lol.

Anyway, I've looked at both of these cases, and I have questions about both, for those that have experience with them.

The Defender is a multi layer case, where you have to first place it in the plastic shell and then work (literally) the silicone cover around the frame once you place the shell in the case; whereas the Pursuit is just a two piece case with the frame and cover. Both cases have port covers, while the Pursuit also comes with a lanyard, and a sound channel that redirects the S10s bottom speaker forward.

Someone on YouTube who reviewed the Pursuit for the S9+ made an interesting point about the Defender, saying that because the you have to place your phone in the plastic shell then fit the silicone on, the plastic doesn't disperse shock as well as the Pursuit, because the latter is all rubber. This makes sense on one hand, but wouldn't the plastic shell be a buffer for the silicone cover, giving the phone an extra cushion in case of a drop?

One of the things that concerns me about OtterBox cases is the silicone rubber cover stretching and warping overtime. From my experience with the Speck grip case, the rubber lip all around the front did indeed warp and peel off. Because OtterBox cases are such a pain to put on and take off, you can't really remove them that often, unless you absolutely need to. I can see it being totally annoying, especially since they're so damn expensive. The problem is that I haven't seen any other options out there that offer the amount of all around lip protection I need for my clumsy self, lol. Can anyone here share their own experiences or make suggestions for similar-type cases? Thanks in advance!
    03-05-2019 08:17 PM
    The newer defenders don't have the stretching issue anymore so I wouldn't worry about that. However they are a giant pain to remove. Check out the Zizo Bolt or the supcase unicorn beatle pro. Both offer great protection without too much bulk. Also you could buy both of them and still have money left over compared to buying anything otterbox. I have a buddy at work that dropped his note 8 with the defender on and still cracked his screen so they're not exactly bullet proof either.
    03-06-2019 12:07 AM
    The newer defenders don't have the stretching issue anymore so I wouldn't worry about that. However they are a giant pain to remove. Check out the Zizo Bolt or the supcase unicorn beatle pro. Both offer great protection without too much bulk. Also you could buy both of them and still have money left over compared to buying anything otterbox. I have a buddy at work that dropped his note 8 with the defender on and still cracked his screen so they're not exactly bullet proof either.
    Thanks for the suggestions. You're right, nothing is foolproof.
    03-06-2019 12:12 AM
    I have a pursuit case and i am happy with it so far other than the micro scratches that are starting to show on the clear case, but my goal was a clear case for a clumsy person like myself.
    03-10-2019 01:19 AM
    So like everyone, I'm looking at case options for the S10+. Personally, since the phone itself is so light, I welcome the bulk because I tend to be accident prone. Whether I'm tripping on things; I lose grip on my phone; it gets knocked out of my hand sometimes; it falls on the floor when I'm using it or its laying on me or on my bed, yeah, I drop my phones, lol.

Anyway, I've looked at both of these cases, and I have questions about both, for those that have experience with them.

The Defender is a multi layer case, where you have to first place it in the plastic shell and then work (literally) the silicone cover around the frame once you place the shell in the case; whereas the Pursuit is just a two piece case with the frame and cover. Both cases have port covers, while the Pursuit also comes with a lanyard, and a sound channel that redirects the S10s bottom speaker forward.

Someone on YouTube who reviewed the Pursuit for the S9+ made an interesting point about the Defender, saying that because the you have to place your phone in the plastic shell then fit the silicone on, the plastic doesn't disperse shock as well as the Pursuit, because the latter is all rubber. This makes sense on one hand, but wouldn't the plastic shell be a buffer for the silicone cover, giving the phone an extra cushion in case of a drop?

One of the things that concerns me about OtterBox cases is the silicone rubber cover stretching and warping overtime. From my experience with the Speck grip case, the rubber lip all around the front did indeed warp and peel off. Because OtterBox cases are such a pain to put on and take off, you can't really remove them that often, unless you absolutely need to. I can see it being totally annoying, especially since they're so damn expensive. The problem is that I haven't seen any other options out there that offer the amount of all around lip protection I need for my clumsy self, lol. Can anyone here share their own experiences or make suggestions for similar-type cases? Thanks in advance!
    Sporting the Defender Pro on my GS10+. Quality and features improved over the last year's version on my GS9+.
    03-12-2019 11:07 PM
    Sporting the Defender Pro on my GS10+. Quality and features improved over the last year's version on my GS9+.
    Did u try the pursuite?
    03-23-2019 07:50 PM
    Did u try the pursuite?
    Not after the Best Buy blue shirt recommended no joy on the Pursuit. After using the Defender on all smartphones since 2006, I am giving the Pelican Shield a try. Please see the Pelican Shield thread for my comments and impressions on the case.
    03-23-2019 08:48 PM
    I have the Pursuit. Wireless Powershare does not work with it. It is hard to put on and take off, the price tag was high, so my phone will live in this case exclusively for quite some time. I like the bulk.

UPDATE: I'm must have been doing something wrong, because PS does work!

Update 2: scratch that, charging does not work
    Kstell3 likes this.
    03-24-2019 09:01 PM
    I went with an Otterbox Defender on this phone and I really like it. It's not much harder to get off than the iBlason cases I used on my S8+. I like the bulk too, I need to be able to hang on to these skinny phones...butter fingers here. I ordered another iBlason Ares like I used with my S8+ minus a built in screen protector so I could have a clear back if I want it.
    03-27-2019 02:21 PM
    The other thing I like about these cases, there's no accidental touches of the edge. The case gives you a grip point.
    Kstell3 likes this.
    03-28-2019 06:45 PM
    Do those port covers worry you at all? I'm always afraid it will ruin my USB port by putting pressure on my USB when charging.
    03-28-2019 08:19 PM
    Do those port covers worry you at all? I'm always afraid it will ruin my USB port by putting pressure on my USB when charging.
    No concerns whatsoever.
    03-28-2019 09:36 PM
    No concerns whatsoever.
    They just seem like they put so much pressure on the cable and port. Maybe I'm too paranoid.
    03-28-2019 10:21 PM
    They just seem like they put so much pressure on the cable and port. Maybe I'm too paranoid.
    Try the Pelican Shield. Port covers are smaller and more flexible. Never had pressure on them with either case.
    03-29-2019 01:44 PM
    Try the Pelican Shield. Port covers are smaller and more flexible. Never had pressure on them with either case.
    How's it feel in hand for you? To me the back of the case felt slick when compared to the Defender's rubber. I do plan to have a back protector on the phone, but it's so odd that the case is rated 3X the military standard in drops, considering that the case has no impact pattern or material on the inside back.
    03-29-2019 03:55 PM
    How's it feel in hand for you? To me the back of the case felt slick when compared to the Defender's rubber. I do plan to have a back protector on the phone, but it's so odd that the case is rated 3X the military standard in drops, considering that the case has no impact pattern or material on the inside back.
    Honestly, it's not as grippy as the Defender because of the silicone outer layer. The Shield feels better and slimmer in the hand. It's not slick slippery. You will need to take more care putting it in your pocket and taking it out as the feel is different and the back is smooth.
    03-29-2019 07:44 PM
    I have the Pursuit. Wireless Powershare does not work with it. It is hard to put on and take off, the price tag was high, so my phone will live in this case exclusively for quite some time. I like the bulk.
    I have the Pursuit Black for S10 and it's able to charge the Galaxy buds and my sister S9. No problems charging the S10 with the case on the wireless duo too. All I know is the Defender doesn't work well with wireless powershare but I definitely have no problems with the Pursuit for both wireless charging and reverse powershare.
    03-30-2019 10:23 AM

If you search for "defender plastic shell scratch forum", there are posts on Note 8 and iPhone saying the plastic shell on the Defender scratch the sides of their phone. Not sure if it's true but one thing to keep in mind. The Pursuit inner frame are lined with rubber so it will not face this issue and will probably absorb shock better than plastic.

If your looking for screen protection, the Defender raised lip is only at the top and bottom while the sides are exposed although still higher than other slim cases like Samsung ones. The Pursuit on the other hand has raised lips above the glass screen all around the case including the sides offering much better screen protection.
    03-30-2019 10:47 AM
    If you search for "defender plastic shell scratch forum", there are posts on Note 8 and iPhone saying the plastic shell on the Defender scratch the sides of their phone. Not sure if it's true but one thing to keep in mind. The Pursuit inner frame are lined with rubber so it will not face this issue and will probably absorb shock better than plastic.

If your looking for screen protection, the Defender raised lip is only at the top and bottom while the sides are exposed although still higher than other slim cases like Samsung ones. The Pursuit on the other hand has raised lips above the glass screen all around the case including the sides offering much better screen protection.
    Granted I am only a sample size of one but I have been using Defender cases for well over a decade. No scratches. Perhaps any scratches were the result of improper removal and install, they occurred at some point in time and weren't noticed until the case removed.
    03-30-2019 11:07 AM

Thanks for the reply. I have heard about the plastic shell issue with the Defender case, and I've also seen people reporting issues with fit, regarding misaligned buttons or gaps. The Pursuit might be the way to go.
    03-30-2019 12:48 PM
    I've preordered the RhinoShield CrashGuard Bumper in white because I thought my Pursuit wouldn't work with Powershare. Still love my Pursuit, but looking forward to trying the bumper.

https://rhinoshield.io/pages/shop/Sa...us-bumper-case

I didn't realize RhinoShield was not in the US. Would have thought twice about pre-ordering it.
    03-31-2019 11:46 AM
    I really am torn about these two cases. I've seen quite a few people mention that the plastic shell of the Defender/Pro can scratch your phone, but it has better grip because of the rubber slip cover. Meanwhile, the Pursuit is mostly hard PC which makes the feel more slippery, but the phone's screen sits below the frame on the sides, which leaves it less vulnerable to breaking. Plus, the Pursuit doesn't have impact absorbing material on the inside back, yet OtterBox claims it offers the best protection. How does that logic work?

Anyone have experience with the Gear4 Platoon case? That's supposed to be comparable to OtterBox protection. The Platoon case for the S10+ is supposedly tested to withstand a 20ft drop (call me skeptical on that claim), but I hear that Gear4 cases are all about marketing fluff and are not in the same class as Tech21 with regard to cases that use D30 impact material.

The Pelican Shield scares me, for the simple fact that the back is slippery and that the phone can easily come apart from the case in the event of a really bad drop because of the latches that you have to snap closed to secure the phone. Yeesh, getting a case shouldn't be this difficult. 🤦🏻
    04-01-2019 10:29 PM
    I really am torn about these two cases. I've seen quite a few people mention that the plastic shell of the Defender/Pro can scratch your phone, but it has better grip because of the rubber slip cover. Meanwhile, the Pursuit is mostly hard PC which makes the feel more slippery, but the phone's screen sits below the frame on the sides, which leaves it less vulnerable to breaking. Plus, the Pursuit doesn't have impact absorbing material on the inside back, yet OtterBox claims it offers the best protection. How does that logic work?

Anyone have experience with the Gear4 Platoon case? That's supposed to be comparable to OtterBox protection. The Platoon case for the S10+ is supposedly tested to withstand a 20ft drop (call me skeptical on that claim), but I hear that Gear4 cases are all about marketing fluff and are not in the same class as Tech21 with regard to cases that use D30 impact material.

The Pelican Shield scares me, for the simple fact that the back is slippery and that the phone can easily come apart from the case in the event of a really bad drop because of the latches that you have to snap closed to secure the phone. Yeesh, getting a case shouldn't be this difficult. 🤦🏻
    Not that I want to tempt fate by intentionally dropping my GS10+but given how hard it is to open the latches, it seems that there is less risk as impacts are primarily on the corners, either directly or indirectly. Even if one latch opened, there are still two more. Supposedly, the manufacturer has tested it for 26 drops of 12+ feet. It's back is a bit slick but it's also a matter of situational awareness and choice to put your phone in a scenario that risks its damage which I know can't always be avoided. The raised edges do mitigate this issue and provide some traction and grippiness.
    LilSweetLin likes this.
    04-02-2019 07:10 AM
    I was not a big fan of the Pelican two piece case models after playing with them yesterday. The model with Carbon Fiber accent was cheap feeling too me for that kind of price. I miss the one piece model that was prevalent the last few years but didn't see any available. I really liked the Defender Pro to the point I picked one up. Never been a Defender kinda guy but with this phone I really like the way it helps with manipulating the phone without accidental touches. I'm pretty sure the Pelicans or OtterBox cases will be more than capable keeping this device safe over normal situations.
    04-02-2019 08:20 PM
    I was not a big fan of the Pelican two piece case models after playing with them yesterday. The model with Carbon Fiber accent was cheap feeling too me for that kind of price. I miss the one piece model that was prevalent the last few years but didn't see any available. I really liked the Defender Pro to the point I picked one up. Never been a Defender kinda guy but with this phone I really like the way it helps with manipulating the phone without accidental touches. I'm pretty sure the Pelicans or OtterBox cases will be more than capable keeping this device safe over normal situations.
    I'm leaning towards the OtterBox Defender Pro, too. Since I plan on keeping the phone for a while, it seems it's the best option for me.
    04-02-2019 10:10 PM
39 12