[Review] ESR Mimic Tempered Glass Case Galaxy S10 Plus

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Like any other phone release a lot of us order a case before we even get the phone. That didn’t change for me with the S10+. I’m not a fan of big and bulky cases that add weight and in many cases (no pun intended) varying degrees of ugliness. I actually considered going caseless since I have an S10+ ceramic model. The ceramic model back did well in a drop test I’ve seen, however cases do offer protection for more than just the back of the device and the ceramic is still pretty slippery. I generally like the look of my phones so I tend to go with clear cases that don’t obstruct the look too much.

My past experience with clear cases has been varied. I’ve tried most types: TPU, Hybrid TPU sides with hard plastic back and Hybrid TPU sides with tempered glass back. Like many, I do like to switch off, however I keep coming back to my favorite case and that’s a hybrid TPU/Tempered Glass. The don’t yellow or scratch like the TPU style and they don’t scratch as easy Hybrid TPU sides with hard plastic back. The only Hybrid TPU/Tempered I’m aware of is ESR Mimic Series Glass Case.

Now I know what you’re thinking….”a glass case….how durable can that be?” I can’t speak for everyone’s personal experience when I read reviews because who really knows how careless people are, but I can vouch for the one I have been using since release day on my Pixel 3XL. I’ve put that case through 6 months of moderate unintentional durability tests. It’s been dropped on various surfaces without incident and has held up well against scratches. For that reason I reached out to ESR to see what they had for my inbound S10+.

ESR informed me that they had the Mimic for the S10+, however in addition to the clear back they also had a variation called Skyfire Gem whose color fades from blue to pink and adds a real nice accent to the phones original color. I wanted to see it up close, so I asked them to send me both the Mimic clear and skyfire versions. There is also a version with black trim on their website.

Clear

Galaxy-S10-Plus-Mimic-Tempered-Glass-Case-clear.jpg

Skyfire Gem

Galaxy-S10-Plus-Mimic-Tempered-Glass-Case-Skyfire-gem.jpg

The Mimic Series gives me everything I want in a case. Moderate protection that doesn’t kill the look of my phone or add bulk. The tempered glass back feels great just like the phone does naked, however the TPU sides add much needed grip.

61zXR2uPQ3L._SL1000_.jpg

The tempered glass is rated with a 9H on the Mohs hardness scale. Keeping in mind that 10H is the highest that is pretty impressive. Realistically it can end up with scratches if you are rough on your devices or stow it with hard sharp objects but I have yet to find a more durable alternative.

61MIxOkkl5L._SL1000_.jpg 615PIR+StUL._SL1000_.jpg

The color fade of the Skyfire version adds a distinctive look to the device. Would love to see how it interacts with each of the Prism colors.

61vQiMXJGML._SL1000_.jpg

Clear installed on my Ceramic white S10+

IMG_20190403_123301.jpg

Skyfire Gem installed on my Ceramic white S10+

IMG_20190403_123243.jpg

The case does add screen, camera and added corner protection. Cutouts and button covers don’t inhibit device functions.

61YNKfZgaoL._SL1000_.jpg61qweRLLfvL._SL1000_.jpg

The Mimic cases are fully compatible with wireless charging.

61vu5Yw7HYL._SL1000_.jpg

Product Features

• A hybrid structure of 9H tempered glass + a soft TPU frame offer comprehensive protection.
  • Mimics your phone’s smooth glass back while offering great grip.
  • The 9H-hard tempered glass back is tough enough to withstand the nicks and scrapes of everyday life.
  • Soft corner material is better able to absorb shock; protecting your phone’s glass back.

Final thoughts:

I obviously love these cases and will continue to use them as my main case. I really like the Skyfire Gem though my daughter thinks it’s too feminine for me. I’m not sure how it will impact the look of the Prism colors or the black ceramic. Though the case offers some screen protection there is not as much coverage on the left and right sides as their is top and bottom. For me the case offers adequate protection, however if you work in a rough environment or are just a complete klutz, I don’t recommend this case for you. If it is dropped keep in mind the tempered glass back can break even though it might save the phone.
The cases retail for 18.99 on their website, however Amazon may have deals from time to time.

ESR makes Cases, Screen Protectors, Chargers, and many other accessories.

To check out all ESR products or for product support, please visit their website

https://www.esrgear.com/

Attachments

• Galaxy-S10-Plus-Mimic-Tempered-Glass-Case-black-frame.jpg
    Galaxy-S10-Plus-Mimic-Tempered-Glass-Case-black-frame.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Great review. Definitely worth looking into.

What are its drop test ratings and results?

Last edited:

WizeGuyDezignz

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
I have the Mimic and it's mediocre at best. It's a cheap TPU bumper with a super thin sheet of glass. It seems like it would offer almost zero protection. I took it off and am using my Ringke for now. I've also heard that some people broke the glass just by taking the case off. It feels very fragile to me.

I think it's a little easier to give it a good rating when it's free. And I mean no disrespect at all to the OP by that comment.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I haven't seen any drop test ratings. If I find anything I'll level you know.

Thanks very much.

If there is an alternative with the military plus grade protection like the Defender or the Pelican Shield, it would be an awesome value. I like the way it shows off the GS10+ design but I'm more interested in the protection aspect as the price of flagship phones goes ever higher.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Thanks very much.

If there is an alternative with the military plus grade protection like the Defender or the Pelican Shield, it would be an awesome value. I like the way it shows off the GS10+ design but I'm more interested in the protection aspect as the price of flagship phones goes ever higher.

This will provide what I would call moderate drop protection. If you are looking for military grade or higher I recommend you look for alternatives.

lindajm22

Mar 15, 2018
Visit site
I got the Mimic. It's nice. Shows off the beautiful white ceramic nicely and feels like the back of my actual phone. The grip on the sides is great. Lots of fingerprints though.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma