Force twitter links to open in twitter app

stevros88

Jul 15, 2019
Visit site
Basically when I click on a twitter link in the Facebook messenger app, it's started opening in the twitter in app browser instead of the twitter app.

I've cleared all my defaults, cache etc, uninstalled twitter and messenger, gone to the display and sounds menu on twitter and told it not to open links in the in app browser but it's still doing it.

I've even tried doing a full factory reset (did a full backup first) but it's not changed anything. I'm at my wit's end, I can't figure out what else I could possibly do to change it back. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Daniel

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I moved this from the Android Apps forum to the General Help forum since the former is intended for developers to promote their apps.

Are these FB chat messages, or are you using FB Messenger as your SMS app? If the latter, what happens if you go back to your stock messaging app? Does the same thing happen, or do the links open the Twitter app appropriately?

stevros88

Jul 15, 2019
Visit site
Samsung Galaxy S10 5G, it started doing it last night. Yes I've tried resetting all of my preferences and defaults.

It started when I was sharing a tweet through Facebook messenger. Normally when you do that you get a screen like the one I've attached where you see a preview of the tweet at the top, but I shared a tweet last night whilst the preview was still loading. From that point on, twitter links in the FB messenger app only open in the twitter browser, and not in the app itself.

The other 2 attachments show that I don't want it to open URLs in the in app browser.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200521-221032_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20200521-221032_Messenger.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20200521-222025_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20200521-222025_Settings.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20200521-221935_Twitter.jpg
    Screenshot_20200521-221935_Twitter.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Samsung Galaxy S10 5G, it started doing it last night. Yes I've tried resetting all of my preferences and defaults.

It started when I was sharing a tweet through Facebook messenger. Normally when you do that you get a screen like the one I've attached where you see a preview of the tweet at the top, but I shared a tweet last night whilst the preview was still loading. From that point on, twitter links in the FB messenger app only open in the twitter browser, and not in the app itself.

The other 2 attachments show that I don't want it to open URLs in the in app browser.
Try clearing data, cache,force stop Twitter app?

Might be a issue with Twitter app, check see if it has a update?

stevros88

Jul 15, 2019
Visit site
They have a Facebook page , is that what your referring to?

No, Twitter, that's why I said "Tweeted". I went to their Twitter support account (@TwitterSupport) and explained my issue to them, asking for advice. No response as yet. Do they have a support page on Facebook as well?