Question about Full charge notification, how do I know when it's full?

fthis f

Jul 9, 2017
Visit site
So my last samsung phone had a led notification that would stay red even after the battery icon and text stated it was 100% charged. It wasn't until the led was green that you knew the phone was fully charged. With the s10, there is no such light indicator and it's a whole different phone and android version but I just want to make sure when the battery icon on this phone and the accompanying percentage text states 100%, that it is fully charged unlike my old phone.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
You can customize the indicator to show the percentage or to hide it. The S10 will also show it in the lock screen and, if active, in the AOD indicators when charging.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
So my last samsung phone had a led notification that would stay red even after the battery icon and text stated it was 100% charged. It wasn't until the led was green that you knew the phone was fully charged. With the s10, there is no such light indicator and it's a whole different phone and android version but I just want to make sure when the battery icon on this phone and the accompanying percentage text states 100%, that it is fully charged unlike my old phone.
Your Saying no indication when plug into a charger?

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
If you look into how a lithium ion battery actually works, you'll find that "fully charged" is a bit more esoteric than you might think.

Anyway, the amount of battery life you're talking about is negligible, if you're in a rush just unplug your phone when it says 100% the amount of power in that single point isn't worth worrying over.

If you're not in a rush, plug it in before you go to sleep.

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
So my last samsung phone had a led notification that would stay red even after the battery icon and text stated it was 100% charged. It wasn't until the led was green that you knew the phone was fully charged.

No, you're wrong.

It's not that the "100%" indicator was lying. It was that the LED was lying. Rather, the circuitry that drives the LED was lying. It was fully charged, but the firmware simply hadn't changed the LED to green yet.

That much is known fact.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
No, you're wrong.

It's not that the "100%" indicator was lying. It was that the LED was lying. Rather, the circuitry that drives the LED was lying. It was fully charged, but the firmware simply hadn't changed the LED to green yet.

That much is known fact.
This is also questionable. Most, if not all phones show 100% even when not right at tip top full. If you use an app like AccuBattery, you'll see it continue to charge after the meter reads 100%. The meter is a level indicator, but can be calibrated to show full at whatever. If a manufacturer is concerned about battery longevity, they can set the 100% mark on the meter a little lower so you'll unplug it and somewhat limit the amount of deterioration that happens (Li-ion batteries don't like to be full and prefer a happy medium).

So without comparing the actual charge current to what the meter and indicator LED show, it's hard to say which is right.

fthis f

Jul 9, 2017
Visit site
I'm going to keep an eye on it for now. I suppose I'll keep it charged a few minutes after it reaches 100% just to be sure for the time being while it cycles the new battery.

I'm still on the original preinstalled android 9 and samsung ui 1.1 Can anyone tell me if the updates improve battery life? I'm getting less than favorable battery life right now. I've only charged it twice since I got it yesterday and I still haven't fully customized the phone to turn off all the unnecessary apps so that may be contributing as well.

On an unrelated note, I was playing around with the voice search on the much more responsive google search bar and I noticed that swear words are censored showing the first letter followed by little asterisks. I checked the settings and turned off "safe search" but it doesn't seem to have fixed it. Odd as f***

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
LEDs are incapable of lying. To lie requires intent, an LED is an inanimate object.
By "lying" I think it was a way of saying that the circuitry for the LED had a delay.

Either way, it's better for the battery's longevity to charge to 85-90% rather than 100% (and also to try to not let it drop below 20-25%).

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
By "lying" I think it was a way of saying that the circuitry for the LED had a delay.

Either way, it's better for the battery's longevity to charge to 85-90% rather than 100% (and also to try to not let it drop below 20-25%).

Oh I know what he meant, but what he meant wasn't what he said.

That is best practice, but ain't nobody got time for that!

I actually do unplug at about 80 if I top up, but overnight i just plug in and charge to 100.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm going to keep an eye on it for now. I suppose I'll keep it charged a few minutes after it reaches 100% just to be sure for the time being while it cycles the new battery.

I'm still on the original preinstalled android 9 and samsung ui 1.1 Can anyone tell me if the updates improve battery life? I'm getting less than favorable battery life right now. I've only charged it twice since I got it yesterday and I still haven't fully customized the phone to turn off all the unnecessary apps so that may be contributing as well.

On an unrelated note, I was playing around with the voice search on the much more responsive google search bar and I noticed that swear words are censored showing the first letter followed by little asterisks. I checked the settings and turned off "safe search" but it doesn't seem to have fixed it. Odd as f***
Are you using Gboard?

If so, go into
settings,
voice typing,
offline speech recognition,
turn off hide offensive words

bearone2

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
since when do the 10/10+ have both charging/fully charged lite with infinity "O" display?

if you charge with phone on & are receiving notifications....it might never get to 100%

fwiw: i've always charged phones off, my 10+ charges from 25% to 100%/power button in 80 min.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
since when do the 10/10+ have both charging/fully charged lite with infinity "O" display?

if you charge with phone on & are receiving notifications....it might never get to 100%

fwiw: i've always charged phones off, my 10+ charges from 25% to 100%/power button in 80 min.
It doesn't....the OP was referring to their prior device.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
my error, thanks.

the point was, charging with the phone on, may never get to 100%.

I've yet to see that be an issue, unless there's a hardware problem. I.e. A bad USB cable. The charge rate will slow down depending on usage, but it will get to 100%.

fthis f

Jul 9, 2017
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the input. I've decided to just keep it charged an additional 10 mins after reaching 100% for now.

Battery life could be better. I lose 1% within 3 mins of removing from the charger and currently I lose 10% for eight hours of idle overnight. I still haven't gone into the notifications or other settings that might be eating up battery life. I suppose it also has to do with my not updating my phone to the latest firmware just yet.

Are you using Gboard?

If so, go into
settings,
voice typing,
offline speech recognition,
turn off hide offensive words

I'm on the preinstalled firmware and have not updated just yet so I don't think it comes with gboard, I certainly can't find it anywhere in the settings. It's no big deal, just a weird quirk I noticed, it's not as if I spend all day doing voice searches that include a lot of swear words.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze