Notification sounds for messages has disappeared

dpomerance

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
For some reason, all of the notification sound selections on the messages have been wiped out and if one looks at the notification sound on the message, it says "set a custom notification sound" on all of them rather than just going to the default for notifications. If I then set a new notification sound, it will stay as long as I leave the message thread active. If I delete the thread, the next time a text comes from that contact it is back to silent with the set a custom notification sound. This just started yesterday. Anyone have any ideas?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Do you have a 3rd party file manager app or ringtone manager (like Zedge) installed? If so, at some point you might have selected that to complete the action of looking for a tone, and it's not correctly listing the preinstalled tones from the system folder. Try going to Settings>Apps, tap Menu, then Reset All App Preferences. Then try selecting a tone again. Does it ask you which app you want to use to complete the action?

dpomerance

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
That seems to have done it. thank you for the suggestion. Something I should have tried before agonizing over it for 2 days. Anyone have any ideas what triggered it?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That seems to have done it. thank you for the suggestion. Something I should have tried before agonizing over it for 2 days. Anyone have any ideas what triggered it?

Always difficult to figure that out -- it was presumably some wonky bit of data that got stuck in the cache. At least you know what to do first if this happens again!:)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan