General question about S10/S10+: Bloatware and updates, specifically.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hey Mustang, I am thinking of getting the app and disabling the same things you did. (1) Did it cause any problems with anything else? (2) Did it make any noticeable difference in performance? Thanks
Hi, no noticeable difference in performance but I just don't like those things on my phone

Roosterman

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
In some of the reviews for Package Disabler, there is a complaint that the app gets removed from the app store. Then it comes back and those that have already bought the app need to repurchase it. It seems it comes back with a different app ID so the user has two versions. The original doesn't work anymore and the new one doesn't recognize the changes that had already been made. So, they can't reenable things later if they wanted to.

Has anyone here experienced this?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
In some of the reviews for Package Disabler, there is a complaint that the app gets removed from the app store. Then it comes back and those that have already bought the app need to repurchase it. It seems it comes back with a different app ID so the user has two versions. The original doesn't work anymore and the new one doesn't recognize the changes that had already been made. So, they can't reenable things later if they wanted to.

Has anyone here experienced this?
That's why I left the link to them directly , if any issue arise can email them .

srgonu

Dec 30, 2016
Visit site
Some of the samsung apps are better than on pixel like calendar, messages, email client, contacts and dialer. So, i don't mind.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Some of the samsung apps are better than on pixel like calendar, messages, email client, contacts and dialer. So, i don't mind.
I agree, but this let's you disable stuff you can't , phone has about 520 apps those you mentioned I never disable , but others like digital well-being and alike I do.

Santiago Medina

Jun 5, 2020
Visit site
I have the Samsung Galaxy A20. Supposedly I was going to get Android 10 with One UI 2.0 with it in May. Now its june, and really I have a feeling it's going to take a long time to get here. I'm in the USA. I just wondering why does it take so long for updates to get to the US than other countries? Also it's really sad that the flagships devices gets everything first, but the mid range, and budget phones get the updates, and everything last, Why!? I really hope I get Android 10 and One UI 2.0 this month, because if not i might as well think of getting a new Samsung phone or switching to Apple. I have to get a Flagship Samsung phone I order to get updates. 2 years of major updates is not enough, 4, or 5 years is alright.

Ibejon

Jan 29, 2020
Visit site
As soon as the S10 came out I couldn't wait to purchase one, I had it for one week & turned it back in because it had way too much bloatware. I then purchased an Apple iPhone, which I'm not in love with but at least it didn't have the massive amount of bloatware that the S10 had.......My preferred smartphone is the Google Pixel.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
As soon as the S10 came out I couldn't wait to purchase one, I had it for one week & turned it back in because it had way too much bloatware. I then purchased an Apple iPhone, which I'm not in love with but at least it didn't have the massive amount of bloatware that the S10 had.......My preferred smartphone is the Google Pixel.
Everyone has different preference what they want , I also use pixel phones and like them a lot .

Fit24

Trusted Member
Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I actually prefer the Samsung version of some apps. I delete or hide the apps I don’t want, need or use. My OS and security updates have been received in good time.

Alex Smith 44

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
Personally I love Samsung One UI, because it provides the right balance of useful features for an Android skin.
For example:

1) Smartstay
2) Scrolling screen capture
3) Theme Park
4) Font selection
5) Screen Recorder
6) Ability to set the lockscreen to any video(via the Samsung Gallery app)
7) Customizable Always-On-Display
8) Blue Light filter

I also have a Pixel 3(had a Pixel 4, traded it in for a Galaxy S20). I have come to find Stock Android lacking in
useful features(i.e. flat out boring) compared to Samsung One UI.
In fact Stock Android eventually adopts some of the features from other Android skins years later :)

Stock Android is nice, just doesn't offer enough value for me to date.
The only features I miss from my Pixel are Ambient Display, the new Google Voice Recorder app w/ transcribe and Call Screening(which
arguably should be an Android OS instead of an exclusive Pixel feature in my opinion).

Bottom line?
When it comes to Android overall, although not perfect, Samsung flagship phones are the best to date in my opinion.
But like many things in life, this is a subjective thing.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Personally I love Samsung One UI, because it provides the right balance of useful features for an Android skin.
For example:

1) Smartstay
2) Scrolling screen capture
3) Theme Park
4) Font selection
5) Screen Recorder
6) Ability to set the lockscreen to any video(via the Samsung Gallery app)
7) Customizable Always-On-Display
8) Blue Light filter

I also have a Pixel 3(had a Pixel 4, traded it in for a Galaxy S20). I have come to find Stock Android lacking in
useful features(i.e. flat out boring) compared to Samsung One UI.
In fact Stock Android eventually adopts some of the features from other Android skins years later :)

Stock Android is nice, just doesn't offer enough value for me to date.
The only features I miss from my Pixel are Ambient Display, the new Google Voice Recorder app w/ transcribe and Call Screening(which
arguably should be an Android OS instead of an exclusive Pixel feature in my opinion).

Bottom line?
When it comes to Android overall, although not perfect, Samsung flagship phones are the best to date in my opinion.
But like many things in life, this is a subjective thing.

Great mini review! Couldn't agree more with the vast array of features Samsung's One UI brings to the table.

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
and none of those things are "bloatware". They're Samsung features, carefully crafted and designed to help Samsung create a specific product they want to sell, a product that fulfills their business needs.

Samsung does not, and never will, sell non-Samsung products. Whatever you think is "pure" Android (and everyone has a different idea of what THAT is), is not a Samsung product.

If you don't like the product, don't buy it.

It's no different than cars. If you don't like the infotainment system Toyota chose to use to sell cars, you don't buy it. You find a product you like instead. It's not that the Toyota is "filled with bloatware".

In fact, the origin of the term "bloatware" has nothing at all to do with manufacturers building a product using their own software.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
and none of those things are "bloatware". They're Samsung features, carefully crafted and designed to help Samsung create a specific product they want to sell, a product that fulfills their business needs.

Samsung does not, and never will, sell non-Samsung products. Whatever you think is "pure" Android (and everyone has a different idea of what THAT is), is not a Samsung product.

If you don't like the product, don't buy it.

It's no different than cars. If you don't like the infotainment system Toyota chose to use to sell cars, you don't buy it. You find a product you like instead. It's not that the Toyota is "filled with bloatware".

In fact, the origin of the term "bloatware" has nothing at all to do with manufacturers building a product using their own software.
You know what's the beauty of Samsung
Years ago you needed to root to get more customization, delete things you don't want , now you have launchers, Samsung Good lock , theme store etc.. you can disable anything you like with PDP (Package Disabler Pro)without root.

BergerKing

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
With these upper level Samsung phones, they typically run enough storage and RAM that bloat has little effect on them. Take my Note 9, not even active on the Sprint Network since January, yet still getting updates regularly since I got it at the 2018 launch. Still runs smoothly without anything disabled. I've never cleared the cache even once, and it just zips right along. It's faster than my laptop, and way faster than my active Samsung J2 Core, which has roughly the same specs as my S4 did years ago.

I run it hard, too. I moderate a couple of websites, and 3-4 Facebook Groups. The phone gets hammered daily. Battery still runs nicely, nice two speaker sound optimized to my hearing, screen dialed in the way I like it, with a miniscule app drawer, and I use two screens so I can swipe back and forth. I've considered creating a folder of folders to make it even smaller.

My Note 5, S8+, and Note 9 have all been supported very well. They've really been getting better organized. I kept it when I ended my contract, because it is my Archive and apps repository. When I upgrade, Smart Switch will transfer everything, and make my transition to a new device so much easier.

But that's just my 2¢, based on several very good experiences with these high-end Samsung phones. Hope it gives you more of a feel to help you decide.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
With these upper level Samsung phones, they typically run enough storage and RAM that bloat has little effect on them. Take my Note 9, not even active on the Sprint Network since January, yet still getting updates regularly since I got it at the 2018 launch. Still runs smoothly without anything disabled. I've never cleared the cache even once, and it just zips right along. It's faster than my laptop, and way faster than my active Samsung J2 Core, which has roughly the same specs as my S4 did years ago.

I run it hard, too. I moderate a couple of websites, and 3-4 Facebook Groups. The phone gets hammered daily. Battery still runs nicely, nice two speaker sound optimized to my hearing, screen dialed in the way I like it, with a miniscule app drawer, and I use two screens so I can swipe back and forth. I've considered creating a folder of folders to make it even smaller.

My Note 5, S8+, and Note 9 have all been supported very well. They've really been getting better organized. I kept it when I ended my contract, because it is my Archive and apps repository. When I upgrade, Smart Switch will transfer everything, and make my transition to a new device so much easier.

But that's just my 2¢, based on several very good experiences with these high-end Samsung phones. Hope it gives you more of a feel to help you decide.

Thank you so much for posting about your experiences. I am still very new to Samsung and wasn't sure how I'd like the UI, coming from my Pixel 2... But I gotta say that I am loving the software! It's been a great experience thus far - about eight months.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Thank you so much for posting about your experiences. I am still very new to Samsung and wasn't sure how I'd like the UI, coming from my Pixel 2... But I gotta say that I am loving the software! It's been a great experience thus far - about eight months.

I had similar concerns coming from a oneplus phone. But once you trim some of the fat, install a launcher and set a skin so things like the status bar and quick settings don't look like they're from 2012 the UI isn't bad at all.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I had similar concerns coming from a oneplus phone. But once you trim some of the fat, install a launcher and set a skin so things like the status bar and quick settings don't look like they're from 2012 the UI isn't bad at all.

I personally love the UI. All I really do is download a new theme every once in a while and tweak it a bit, and I'm good to go!

I think it's natural to have these concerns when you jump from a familiar OS/manufacturer to another. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34