General question about S10/S10+: Bloatware and updates, specifically.

Father Tech

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
I have long admired Samsung phones for their technology, but I've never purchased one, for two reasons:

1- Samsung bloatware; and
2- Slow to receive Android updates, esp. new versions.

For these reasons, I purchased a Pixel phone instead.

Since the newest Samsung phones are getting harder to resist, I wanted to ask how people feel about and deal with Samsung's bloatware and its slow upgrade pace. Many thanks for your views.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I was in the same boat as you until I bought my first ever Samsung phone (the S10) in October of last year! I'll try and give you my jumbled impressions - I haven't had much coffee yet!

While I am not a fan of bloatware, especially coming from an unlocked Pixel 2, I am kind of used to it now, if that makes sense. I know which Samsung apps I'll use and which ones will kind of get in my way. They kind of go in a folder in my app drawer and stay there!

When it comes to duplicate apps (ie, Google Calendar vs Samsung Calendar), I've actually found that I usually like Samsung's version better (gasp! Didn’t think I'd see the day!). I just delete what I don't like and carry on when that happens.

With regards to updates, especially if you use a Pixel phone now, the wait time will take some getting used to when you have a Samsung device. However, I truly think it makes a difference whether or not you buy unlocked and which carrier you use.

I just read a thread last night that Samsung users are already getting the June update. That's pretty quick! Being in Canada, I usually wait a few weeks after the first batch of updates go out, and then I usually get mine. I think Samsung is getting a bit better on this, though, which is making me hopeful.

Please keep us posted on what you end up doing! My S10 has truly been great for me. I really miss my Pixel 2 at times (I'm a big Pixel fan), but my S10 was definitely a great choice.

CChamp

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I agree with Ambassador. I have had my 10+ since they came out and love it. There is an option where you can "hide" your unwanted (bloat) apps completely from the app drawer so unless you actually go searching for them, you don't even know that they are on your phone. As far as the updates my carrier is USCelluler and I seem to get my update fairly on time. Battery life is pretty good, and it is pretty fast, couldn't ask for more.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I have long admired Samsung phones for their technology, but I've never purchased one, for two reasons:

Since the newest Samsung phones are getting harder to resist, I wanted to ask how people feel about and deal with Samsung's bloatware and its slow upgrade pace. Many thanks for your views.
You can get the unlocked version which has a little less bloat then carrier ones but also can use package disabler pro to turn off any other bloat for few bucks . Updates have gotten really good with Samsung.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
A combination of uninstalling, disabling and ignoring.

Them trying to push their own ecosystem doesn't really bother me, I ignore their email app and those like it.

The stuff that bothers me which gets removed or disabled is third party crap like Fortnite and LinkedIn... And the ad for McAfee in device care is almost enough to make me not buy from them again lol.

But, it can be ignored...

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
A combination of uninstalling, disabling and ignoring.

Them trying to push their own ecosystem doesn't really bother me, I ignore their email app and those like it.

The stuff that bothers me which gets removed or disabled is third party crap like Fortnite and LinkedIn... And the ad for McAfee in device care is almost enough to make me not buy from them again lol.

But, it can be ignored...
I like having both to choose from .

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site

"bloatware"???? What are you talking about????? There's no bloatware on a Samsung phone.

Father Tech

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for everyone's replies. I really appreciate them. It seems like the bloatware and updating concerns remain.

Getting an unlocked phone at least eliminates the carrier bloat. Regarding the Samsung bloat: To the extent that apps cannot be uninstalled, can unwanted apps be hidden, perhaps inside a folder, so at least I don't have to look at them? It doesn't bother me much they they remain in memory, since phones come with so much RAM today.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, the bloat apps that can't be uninstalled can mostly be disabled from the app info.

Updates really aren't much of an issue at the flagship level. I get a security patch every month, often before pixels. Platform updates take a little longer, but to be honest, when was the last time a platform update was actually interesting?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for everyone's replies. I really appreciate them. It seems like the bloatware and updating concerns remain.

Getting an unlocked phone at least eliminates the carrier bloat. Regarding the Samsung bloat: To the extent that apps cannot be uninstalled, can unwanted apps be hidden, perhaps inside a folder, so at least I don't have to look at them? It doesn't bother me much they they remain in memory, since phones come with so much RAM today.
The bloat that you can't disable , package disabler takes care like bixby and many others

CChamp

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Hey Mustang, I am thinking of getting the app and disabling the same things you did. (1) Did it cause any problems with anything else? (2) Did it make any noticeable difference in performance? Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2