Why Google’s Android updates are overrated for Samsung phones now.

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
but as far as features and functionality go, Samsung isn’t chained to Android. It can add any features that it wants to Galaxy devices without having to wait for an OS update.

This right here.

Like Samsung's features or not, you have to admit they make their own stuff and don't depend nearly so much on Google. That it's Google under the skin is getting less and less important nowadays.

Shoot, they went their own way with Tizen for the watches. I wrestled with that a bit before I pulled the trigger, but I have zero regrets about buying a Galaxy Watch. (In fact, I have a custom watch face that I love, that's not available anywhere else.)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I agree when it comes to features -- but I'd be more concerned about important security patches. Granted, many security patches are minor, but every now and then there's a more consequential one, so I'd hope those get pushed out by Samsung in an expedited manner.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Yeah a lot of the platform update hype is rendered moot by the fact many of the features are often in one UI already, and Google seems to keep the good stuff for the Pixel.

Plus platform updates are less exciting these days in general...

This right here.

Like Samsung's features or not, you have to admit they make their own stuff and don't depend nearly so much on Google. That it's Google under the skin is getting less and less important nowadays.

Shoot, they went their own way with Tizen for the watches. I wrestled with that a bit before I pulled the trigger, but I have zero regrets about buying a Galaxy Watch. (In fact, I have a custom watch face that I love, that's not available anywhere else.)

To be fair though it's less that Tizen is amazing and more that Wear OS/Android Wear/whatever it's called this week is terrible.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I agree when it comes to features -- but I'd be more concerned about important security patches. Granted, many security patches are minor, but every now and then there's a more consequential one, so I'd hope those get pushed out by Samsung in an expedited manner.
Yeah they been very good at that lately

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site

They occasionally beat the Pixel line now.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
so, Google's stuff is terrible on the watches, and Samsung said "yeah, we can do it better".

And so it goes for the phones, too.

Exactly. But while it's better than wear OS Tizen still has a lot of room for improvement. It's functional enough, but not great.

I really wish it supported Google services too... But that's likely more on Google than Samsung.

In earnest, the main thing that makes wear OS bad isn't even Google Vs Samsung, though. It's Qualcomm Vs Samsung.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Very true, but that's primarily with the flagships. Are the updates for the midrangers and the tablets also as timely?

It's true they could do a lot better with the mid-range updates. But to be fair, this is the S10 forum, not the A70 forum. It makes sense that people here see things from the perspective of S10 owners.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
It's true they could do a lot better with the mid-range updates. But to be fair, this is the S10 forum, not the A70 forum. It makes sense that people here see things from the perspective of S10 owners.
Man thought I put in note 10 forum lol , it's ok I have the s10+ also

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
it's not Samsung that's the issue now, it's the carriers. TMobile sucks at updates.

well, Samsung could create an environment whereby the core OS is updated independently of the carrier bits--just like how Samsung creates and updates their user-facing experience independent of Google.

That puts it right back onto Samsung.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
well, Samsung could create an environment whereby the core OS is updated independently of the carrier bits--just like how Samsung creates and updates their user-facing experience independent of Google.

That puts it right back onto Samsung.
That might not work on Carrier branded models with certain carriers.

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
Apple does it. It shouldn't be an issue at all.

I'm positive Verizon is not at all happy ceding control of the phone to Apple, but hey, they have no choice.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

True. I was thinking more in terms of the article itself, which talked about Samsung in general, and not just its flagships. Overall, though, Samsung has definitely been doing a better job with updates compared to a few years back.