New Galaxy S10 charges intermittently?

Dreamattack

Jul 9, 2020
Visit site
Brand new (1 month) Samsung Galaxy S10 started charging intermittently. Used torch to check phone charging port and there was an object at base of port partially blocking/fouling it and therefore not allowing the cable to fully dock with the port. Managed to remove the object and on inspection it seems to be a tiny square rubber o ring? Is this part of the phone that has not been fitted correctly (for waterproofing for example)? I have photo of this object if needed.

BergerKing

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the Android Central forums!

Sounds very much like an improperly installed charge port seal, from the description you've provided, not having seen the construction until I search for the S10 charging port itself. I've provided an image, does it (the ring) look like the sample seen here, or similar? As a guest, you cannot reply in the Ask A Question subforum, so we'd be grateful if you could share more information by registering.

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Android Central. Thanks!

20200708_185455.jpg

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to the Android Central forums!

Sounds very much like an improperly installed charge port seal, from the description you've provided, not having seen the construction until I search for the S10 charging port itself. I've provided an image, does it (the ring) look like the sample seen here, or similar? As a guest, you cannot reply in the Ask A Question subforum, so we'd be grateful if you could share more information by registering.

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Android Central. Thanks!

View attachment 322362
Based on where it's located it would very odd for it to be inside the port though I guess anything is possible

BergerKing

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Based on where it's located it would very odd for it to be inside the port though I guess anything is possible

I've seen weird things happen. Figure you're looking at end where the port mates to the body of the phone, I can see it might have been off, and peeled out with insertion of the charging connection into the port, eventually pulling free and lodging in the bottom of the port. It's a best guess, but if they register, more information might reveal a different culprit. I had to shine a light down into my Note's port to ascertain how it could have happened, and it seemed a plausible, if odd, possibility.

Dreamattack

Jul 9, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for the response to my question everyone.

Please see attached photos. One shows the seal in situ (it was actually at the base of the port but I had pulled it up a bit to see what it was. Other photo shows actual seal/o-ring once out. Looks like it has ripped and white material is a rubber/black is a cloth type material.

I don't think it could have got there accidentally as you would've had to force it down into base of port.

Attachments

• IMG-20200709-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20200709-WA0001.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 20200709_082810.jpg
    20200709_082810.jpg
    716.3 KB · Views: 10

BergerKing

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Wow, I'm not quite sure what that is, actually. Maybe something got picked up in a pocket, or on the end of the charger. It definitely doesn't look like an electronics-grade seal seen on the port I showed above. The images seem pretty conclusive in that department.

If it charged fine initially, and charges fine now, after you removed this piece of floo, I'd tend to think it was something that accidentally got picked up and shoved in by the plug, unless someone has a better idea of what it is...

Dreamattack

Jul 9, 2020
Visit site
I think you may be right - can't fir the life of me work out what it was or where it came from. ]Never had anything like it before in any phone I've had though !! Phone is charging normally so possibly put it down to bad luck.

Thanks for your input though.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I think you may be right - can't fir the life of me work out what it was or where it came from. ]Never had anything like it before in any phone I've had though !! Phone is charging normally so possibly put it down to bad luck.

Thanks for your input though.
Yeah see how its going be down the road , if any issues arise that charger port will have to be replaced.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs