S10 family of 3 in crisis! (Google Assistant/lock screen issue.)

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, it seems to kick in totally randomly too... With words that sound nothing like "Google".

One of my biggest bugbears was when I'd unlock my phone, look at it and say "hey Google, send a message to X" and my Sonos soundbar would say "sorry, I can't send text messages!" :mad:

That's what prompted me to do what I recommend the OP do; turn it off and remap the Bixby key.

Absolutely! There wouldn't even be "Google" in the sentence at times - like, during normal conversation - and our Nest activates. 🤣 When I talk to my S10 now, I put a wall between us and whisper. LOOL it's like my phone and I need our alone time or something. 🤣

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
can't find it myself anymore.. either gone or I had something else in mind

What are you two talking about? My device responds locked, unlocked, screen on or off. The type of searches/commands I can do varies depending on state. So do you mean that it will do any command or search type from the lock screen with this enabled?

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
What are you two talking about? My device responds locked, unlocked, screen on or off. The type of searches/commands I can do varies depending on state. So do you mean that it will do any command or search type from the lock screen with this enabled?

I, the OP and many others don't want Google assistant to work with the screen off. The fact that it works with the screen off is exactly what we want to fix.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I, the OP and many others don't want Google assistant to work with the screen off. The fact that it works with the screen off is exactly what we want to fix.

I see. I guess I wasn't reading all of the comments correctly.

dekatch, I don't use Nova and apparently I was also reading the comments incorrectly, thinking that a response was wanted, not unwanted. I merely mentioned an alternative launcher because I know they often have more options and options that differ from stock options. I seem to run into Nova a lot so it is my go to example whenever I reference a launcher. Truthfully I don't know the name of any other launchers.

It would be a bit of a learning thing but perhaps an automated app might be able to help with this. There's an app that I am familiar with called Tasker which automates phone functions I could see it preventing screen off listening. Tasker has the ability to mute the phone's mic based on a set of logic commands. So a profile could be written that puts the mic on mute when the screen is off and unmuting it when the screen is on. The only issue I see with this method would be I think the mic would mute if the screen turned off when the screen blacks out during a call. A way around this might be to put the mic on a home screen toggle. One of the Tasker extension apps allows the creation of home screen toggles and the toggle could mute and unmute the mic, but then it would become something you would have to remember to do. I mention Tasker because it one that I use but it is a paid app. There's a Tasker forum here at AC, there's Tasker wiki online and videos on YouTube that can help or guide users. There are free automation apps, but like Nova I haven't used any of them and really could not tell you much about them other than they exist and that some of them require less of a learning curve. I remember one that was command blocks that you connected in a sequence to create profiles with pretty much the same IF OR AND THEN type commands.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I see. I guess I wasn't reading all of the comments correctly.

dekatch, I don't use Nova and apparently I was also reading the comments incorrectly, thinking that a response was wanted, not unwanted. I merely mentioned an alternative launcher because I know they often have more options and options that differ from stock options. I seem to run into Nova a lot so it is my go to example whenever I reference a launcher. Truthfully I don't know the name of any other launchers.

It would be a bit of a learning thing but perhaps an automated app might be able to help with this. There's an app that I am familiar with called Tasker which automates phone functions I could see it preventing screen off listening. Tasker has the ability to mute the phone's mic based on a set of logic commands. So a profile could be written that puts the mic on mute when the screen is off and unmuting it when the screen is on. The only issue I see with this method would be I think the mic would mute if the screen turned off when the screen blacks out during a call. A way around this might be to put the mic on a home screen toggle. One of the Tasker extension apps allows the creation of home screen toggles and the toggle could mute and unmute the mic, but then it would become something you would have to remember to do. I mention Tasker because it one that I use but it is a paid app. There's a Tasker forum here at AC, there's Tasker wiki online and videos on YouTube that can help or guide users. There are free automation apps, but like Nova I haven't used any of them and really could not tell you much about them other than they exist and that some of them require less of a learning curve. I remember one that was command blocks that you connected in a sequence to create profiles with pretty much the same IF OR AND THEN type commands.

Tasker might actually work... Haven't used it in a while so i don't know how much the crackdown on accessibility privileges (ironically) crippled it, but it's a very good idea... I might look into it if i ever feel less lazy hahaha. I think the other app you mention may be If This Then That (IFTTT), which is a lot more user friendly but less powerful.

I wonder if Bixby routines could do it...

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I hadn't considered Bixby. Probably because I am both new to it and rarely use it for anything my self. I looked into it once and like you mentioned, I was feeling a bit lazy and really wasn't feeling trying to set anything up. I like Tasker. I get stuck some times and don't understand its limitations others but all in all it's a very strong app if you're up to the challenge. Let us know what worked or didn't cause I for one get a little annoyed at times too. And since it annoys you more than me, I'll let you do all the work and reap the benefits. That's just how lazy I am. Hahaha