How To Call 911?

CChamp

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Hi all, I have searched for this and have not found an answer. The other night I needed to call 911 on my Galaxy 10. I use a third party dialer (Drupe) and I had a heck of a time getting it to dial 911. I think I have found out that you can only dial 911 using the stock dialer. Are there any clear cut directions or videos on how to do this? I also think that it has something to do with the "Emergency Call" button on the lock screen but I am reluctant to push it for fear it will actually dial 911. This would be nice to know and could be a lifesaver in an emergency. Thanks

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
In my opinion - if it's a challenge making an emergency call using a replacement dialer, that dialer needs to go as there is nothing more important for apps of that type to accomplish.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't expect a third party dialer to have that issue if it can make regular calls. I'd try to reach out to the developer to see if they know anything or can fix the app. Could you elaborate on the exact problem or error it gave you? Someone here may have better info. If you wish to try doing some extra diagnosis and want to test it, you are allowed to make test 911 calls. From https://www.911.gov/frequently_asked_questions.html

Test calls confirm that your local 911 service can receive your 911 call and has the correct location information. Test calls can be scheduled by contacting your local 911 call center via its non-emergency phone number. To contact the local 911 center responsible for answering calls from your location, go here and click on the state in which you are located. The person responsible for operating the state’s 911 system will be identified, and they should know who you should talk to at your local 911 call center, to schedule a day and time for test calls.

Otherwise, I would agree with Hallux to ditch the app if you can't get it working completely.

Actually... Are you using something like Google Voice or other VoIP style calling service rather than your carrier's service for calls? If so, that's likely the problem, as those services are unable to access 911 properly.

CChamp

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't expect a third party dialer to have that issue if it can make regular calls. I'd try to reach out to the developer to see if they know anything or can fix the app. Could you elaborate on the exact problem or error it gave you?

Hi Mooncatt, When I tried 911 with Drupe it first just beeped at me, then it came up with the message asking if I wanted to change my default dialer, I pushed yes and it started up my stock dialer which I was able to use. I did contact drupe about this problem and here is their response.

"This is how Android allows handling emergency number. They do not allow 3rd party apps to dial them, but only launch the native dialer app.

Hope this makes sense. Best,
Assi"

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Hi Mooncatt, When I tried 911 with Drupe it first just beeped at me, then it came up with the message asking if I wanted to change my default dialer, I pushed yes and it started up my stock dialer which I was able to use. I did contact drupe about this problem and here is their response.

"This is how Android allows handling emergency number. They do not allow 3rd party apps to dial them, but only launch the native dialer app.

Hope this makes sense. Best,
Assi"
It's an answer, so that's something. Thanks for the update, which can help us if other members pose similar questions. It may have something to do with privacy issues and the ability of 911 services to ping the location of a phone, but that's just pure speculation on my part.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
if you tap "emergency call" it brings up a dialer, presumably the stock one regardless of what you've got set as default.

CChamp

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Also, I just got back from the USCellular store where there was a Samsung rep. I asked him about this and after doing some checking all he could suggest was to use Hey Google, or Bixby. I told him that my wife has neither one of those on her phone how is she supposed to call 911? He didn't have a clue but said he would look into it. You would think that something as serious as this would have come up and been fixed sometime in the past.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
If it brings up the stock dialer for you it should, that's the point.

You'll probably have trouble finding people who know 100% because third party diallers are a bit old-hat these days.