Google Chrome not updating from Play Store

hybucket

May 24, 2013
Visit site
After an hour or two playing around with this problem, I decided I'd had enough and went out to lunch. I was at a place with no WiFi service...I got a call. When it ended, I tried clicking on WebView update. NOthing. Then I tried Chrome and...voila! It connected. And it updated (tho slowly, as the mobile service was incredibly slow). When it finished, I tried WebView again, and it worked. So now they are both updated. I could swear that I tried it at home without WiFi turned on, but maybe I didn't. Anyway, I don't know if that's the solution or not, but you might want to try it updating through your carrier instead of WiFi. I doubt that Google will ever be a source to determine just what the problem really is.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
After an hour or two playing around with this problem, I decided I'd had enough and went out to lunch. I was at a place with no WiFi service...I got a call. When it ended, I tried clicking on WebView update. NOthing. Then I tried Chrome and...voila! It connected. And it updated (tho slowly, as the mobile service was incredibly slow). When it finished, I tried WebView again, and it worked. So now they are both updated. I could swear that I tried it at home without WiFi turned on, but maybe I didn't. Anyway, I don't know if that's the solution or not, but you might want to try it updating through your carrier instead of WiFi. I doubt that Google will ever be a source to determine just what the problem really is.
Another to do is reset your network , this resets wifi and data and helps in these types of situation. It's in settings>general mangement>reset>reset network

hybucket

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Another to do is reset your network , this resets wifi and data and helps in these types of situation. It's in settings>general mangement>reset>reset network

I did not reset my network settings, but I did reboot the wifi modem. I also tried updating on at least two other wifi connections and that didn't make a difference. I pretty much think that, since certain things seem to work for some and not (other postings on other forums), there may never be a "fix" for this. I will have to see what happens the next time Chrome has an update available.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I did not reset my network settings, but I did reboot the wifi modem. I also tried updating on at least two other wifi connections and that didn't make a difference. I pretty much think that, since certain things seem to work for some and not (other postings on other forums), there may never be a "fix" for this. I will have to see what happens the next time Chrome has an update available.
This issue been around since Android 9 that I can remember, it could be a recent update to a Google app, network, just clearing data, cache, force stop some of them, router issue but gets resolved. I haven't seen someone stuck with issue forever and it's not just Samsung, LG, Google phones run into this.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
According to Samsung, Safe Mode disables all apps installed from Google Play, so that wouldn't work.

I know that Safe Mode temporarily disables 3rd party apps that you install, but that wasn't my intention -- I suggested booting into Safe Mode to see if you could update those apps. I just tried it on my Pixel C, and was able to update 3rd party apps in the Play Store while in Safe Mode. Just give it a try, it'll only take a few minutes.

I don't know about all phones, but mine will not allow updates to be removed from WebView, nor can you remove it. You can disable and force stop, but that's about it.

Maybe it's different on Samsung phones, but what happens if you go to the Android System Webview page in the Play Store? Do you see an Uninstall button there?

Removing my Google account and adding it back would be a fantastic amount of work, I would think, having to re-enter all my Google info.

For what it's worth, I have removed a Google account and added it back on Pixel phones before, and it was a pretty straightforward process, not requiring me to manually set things back up. But again, it might be different on other devices.

hybucket

May 24, 2013
Visit site
This issue been around since Android 9 that I can remember, it could be a recent update to a Google app, network, just clearing data, cache, force stop some of them, router issue but gets resolved. I haven't seen someone stuck with issue forever and it's not just Samsung, LG, Google phones run into this.

Got it to update a couple of times since the above...no idea how, but it worked. Today, a new update for Chrome and Android WebVIew and, again, no go. Frustrating...just wait it out, I guess.
Sorry for the duplicates...don't know why it's doing this.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Got it to update a couple of times since the above...no idea how, but it worked. Today, a new update for Chrome and Android WebVIew and, again, no go. Frustrating...just wait it out, I guess.
Sorry for the duplicates...don't know why it's doing this.
Worked for a couple of weeks...new update today, and same thing. JUst have to wait it out, I guess.
Did you ever try the network reset?

hybucket

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Yes, did the network reset, along with other suggestions here and on other forums. I have tried the update on other WiFi connections to no avail.

UPDATE: Still cannot update. Tried Uninstaller both...would only Uninstaller some updates, and went back to 81.xxxxx...was on 85. So I'm worse off than I was. I've seen posts of users that have had this problem for months. Crazy.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Doubt if it's WiFi or connection related, as all the other apps update properly and with no problems.

Chrome and system webview are finicky to update in general. Update them individually, not along with other apps. System webview just shows downloading and disappears, but it updates..... chrome will act funny as well sometimes.... it'll act like it's stuck in download mode but give it time and it'll update. I had issues with those and it was nothing to do with my phone, I went through the troubleshooting steps.... and other folks were having the same issue. Just remember to update them individually and manually and you shouldn't have any more issues.

hybucket

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Chrome and system webview are finicky to update in general. Update them individually, not along with other apps. System webview just shows downloading and disappears, but it updates..... chrome will act funny as well sometimes.... it'll act like it's stuck in download mode but give it time and it'll update. I had issues with those and it was nothing to do with my phone, I went through the troubleshooting steps.... and other folks were having the same issue. Just remember to update them individually and manually and you shouldn't have any more issues.

Thanks for your reply, but all of the above has been tried. I have two Samsung S10 phones...one is fine, the other will not update Chrome and Webview. There are, without exaggeration, hundreds of users with the same problems; I've been on many sites, including the review section of the Google Play site, and the only response from Google is a generic link for how to update and nothing directly addressing the issue. As I mentioned, I tried to unintsall, but it only uninstalled some updates, which brought me down to a much older version and now will not update to where I was to begin with. Sure, I can use the Samusng Internet app, which is OK, but that's not the point. I use Chrome on many devices and like the sync ability. Not sure what I should do next...it is obviously not a WiFi or even a device problem, as there are various brands that are having the same problem.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for your reply, but all of the above has been tried. I have two Samsung S10 phones...one is fine, the other will not update Chrome and Webview. There are, without exaggeration, hundreds of users with the same problems; I've been on many sites, including the review section of the Google Play site, and the only response from Google is a generic link for how to update and nothing directly addressing the issue. As I mentioned, I tried to unintsall, but it only uninstalled some updates, which brought me down to a much older version and now will not update to where I was to begin with. Sure, I can use the Samusng Internet app, which is OK, but that's not the point. I use Chrome on many devices and like the sync ability. Not sure what I should do next...it is obviously not a WiFi or even a device problem, as there are various brands that are having the same problem.
Try updating one at a time first webview then chrome

hybucket

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Try updating one at a time first webview then chrome

Tried that, along with other things that worked for some but not for others. Last time, Chrome updated first, then WebView. But that may just have been a coincidence.
UPDATE: After I hit "send" on the above, I went to the Google Store and found that both Chrome and ANdroid WebView had been updated as of five minutes ago. Go figure. I've been at this since Sept.22, exactly two weeks ago. I am now on 85.0.4183.127, which is the current version.This is the same version that Android WebView is on, so they must be somehow related..?

Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Tried that, along with other things that worked for some but not for others. Last time, Chrome updated first, then WebView. But that may just have been a coincidence.
UPDATE: After I hit "send" on the above, I went to the Google Store and found that both Chrome and ANdroid WebView had been updated as of five minutes ago. Go figure. I've been at this since Sept.22, exactly two weeks ago. I am now on 85.0.4183.127, which is the current version.This is the same version that Android WebView is on, so they must be somehow related..?
Ok good, strange but at least it updated.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site

I'm glad they updated for you. I only had major issues with them once or twice, I'm guessing it was a particular update version. They've been fine since... maybe it'll be the same for you ;-)

Jimmy Le1

May 22, 2015
Visit site
Guys .. I had the same problem few days ago ..
Turned out it was google server over load ..
Be patient .. run update time to time it will go through .

Attachments

• 20201009_135013.jpg
    20201009_135013.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 11

RhythmicFlow

Dec 3, 2020
Visit site
SUCCESS! After trying a bunch of different things, what worked was uninstalling updates of Play Store itself/reverting it to the stock version - as described in the post at the link below (I likely also cleared Play Store data/cache).

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201203-010401_Chrome.png
    Screenshot_20201203-010401_Chrome.png
    256.8 KB · Views: 7
Last edited by a moderator:

BusyOldMan

Feb 7, 2021
Visit site
Try rolling back your Play Store App. It may have recently been updated and causing your problem. I had the same problem until I rolled back Play Store App and then I could update Chrome

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles