Signal is low on 4G....Bit better on 3G Why so low.

jace1969

Sep 6, 2015
Visit site
I have had a s10 for a good 12 months and think it's great, is there anyway to improve the signal bars as in 4G it on 1 bar and 3G i get 2 bars.
My main provider is virgin mobile on sim only contract but also have a vodafone sim in spare phone on my old s9.
Side by side the signal is around the same and this is in the house,outside 3G is always better than 4G,online checking the area to see if i should get a good signal it says very good on both providers.....s10 is my main phone on virgin and reads....4G....112dbn..28 asu
3G....95 dbn..25 asu.
This is in the house downstairs also where is the antenna on the s10 the bottom corner up from the speaker.
Any help would be great.....i have had to have wifi calling if i leave it on 4G.
Thanks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
What's the exact model number of your S10, and what country are you in? This information can help us check how many of those carrier's LTE bands your specific phone supports. If it doesn't support the key LTE bands, then reception will tend to be poorer.

jace1969

Sep 6, 2015
Visit site
Hi,its the SM-G973F.
I have installed a signal checker app on my phone and it says on there 2 bars when my phone reads 1 bar so phone always reads lower.
Also when im on no bars i sill have 1 bar on the tester and also when no bars on phone and i ring it works so the phone is reading at lease 1 bar lower.
Is it a phone problem as my frieds old iphone 8 (which he is now on android) so never uses it i tried and it reads 1 bar more and the same as the App i installed.
It seems its a problem with the bars they are not true and both with no cases on.

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
The bars are meaningless. Stop using them to determine anything.

You need to determine signal LEVELS. There are apps for that.

If you focus on the bars, you will be nothing but disappointed as you are working with completely inaccurate and meaningless information.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
What's the exact model number of your S10, and what country are you in? This information can help us check how many of those carrier's LTE bands your specific phone supports. If it doesn't support the key LTE bands, then reception will tend to be poorer.
He sounds like he is in the UK. Virgin mobile and vodafone are 2 networks here. If that helps.

Virgin is an mvno using the EE towers and vodafone has its own towers. Both networks should have excellent 4G coverage as between them they are using the most towers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37