How to get Samsung Galaxy S10 email to access imap folders

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
the focus here seems to be on "what am I doing wrong" or "what is wrong with my email client". May I suggest that this is simply a bad interaction between the Samsung email client and your work email server? They simply don't get along?

I had the reverse situation. Years ago I started using K9 because in the Galaxy S3 days, the Samsung email client did NOT work with my home email provider. I stuck with K9 across other Android phones, then I got back into the Samsung world with the S9+. I discovered that Sammy's email client had evolved and now worked with my email provider (same one, I never changed--and they haven't changed a thing on their side).

The answer is, just because it worked for you on the S7 doesn't mean it works for you on the S10. Accept that, and move along. Use a different email client.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Changing things in an email server, using an app, doesn't actually change things in the server, it only changes them in the app. Use the webmail page that the company should be maintaining - or ask the company email administrator to straighten out the server for you. (It can be a mess when the server isn't configured the way it's telling the client it's configured, and you do things that should never be done in the client just for that reason. The admin can go in there and rename, delete, anything you need - you can't.) And if there's no webmail page, ask the admin to put one up.

In the future, don't add, delete, rename, etc., folders in the client, use the webmail page. (And if you do, you might have to delete the email server from the client, then add it again, so that they synchronize. Again, this depends on how the server is set up. [IMAP was supposed to fix all that, but as long as admins are able to mess with the settings in the servers, it won't be fixed.])

Joe K Blow

Oct 11, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for that input Rukbat but I've been creating new folders and renaming folders under Alpine for many years now and our email server guy has never said I shouldn't and it hasn't been causing problems with either my Thunderbird email client that I run under Windows nor my Samsung email client that I've run under a number of Samsung Galaxy phones from an S3 and up from there.

Hence, I believe that the problem lies with the Samsung S10 email system and not with my behaviour here. I think I would just change to a different phone before I would start changing my behaviour here that hasn't been a problem in the past.

I actually don't think it is a problem now either. The changes I made today using Alpine actually "took" under both my S10 native email and my S10 BlueMail and also under Thunderbird (although I needed to subscribe the new folders on same).

So, just because my S10 native email - unlike my S7 native email nor my S10 BlueMail - won't see all of my folders doesn't seem like a reason for me to change my behaviour. Instead I will keep working further on resolving the real problem here.

Joe K Blow

Oct 11, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for that input Adam. I actually never thought I was doing anything wrong but I do think there is something wrong with the Samsung S10 native email program.

I kind of told a white lie to Rukbat as I have had weird problems at time over the years of using an S3, S4, S6 and S7 before my S10.

For example, I did have the same problem I am presently having with my S6 and, although I knew it was a dumb idea, Samsung actually replaced the phone with a new one which, of course, didn't fix the problem. So I traded it in for an S7 and the problem then didn't exist on same.

So, I kind of see your point about accepting that the S10 native mail program has a problem and just give up on it. Yet, I think I'll try a bit more.

Last edited:

Joe K Blow

Oct 11, 2020
Visit site
To refresh, my problem here wasn't that I was unhappy with my Samsung S10 native email in any particular way other than that I couldn't see and access all of my imap folders anymore as I could on my S7 and as I discovered I could under BlueMail installed on my S10.

BlueMail seems pretty good although it would take me a bit of time to get used to it and, at this point, I'd have to say I prefer the S10 native email in most ways other than the missing imap folders.

In one way though, the S10 native email seems to be a lot better and that is when attaching pictures (which I would normally resize), the quality of the picture ends up being a lot better on the receiving end with the S10 native email than with BlueMail.

Often, I will access prior emails in my imap folders and do a reply or reply-all to them and attach one or more pictures so this element of things wouldn't work very well with BlueMail although only with it could I even locate these emails.

I just tested though locating an email like this in BlueMail where I started a reply-all to it then exited out of the process and saved my reply-all as a draft email.

Then, under the S10 native email, I went into my drafts folder and selected that email and attached some pictures to it and resized them and sent the email.

It kind of looks like I now have the best of both worlds here by using a combination of the S10 native email for most purposes while using BlueMail for accessing all of my imap folders.

I still think there is something wrong with the S10 native email which I wish Samsung would fix but I'm just glad that I arrived at this solution when I really only installed BlueMail to see if it would have full access to my imap folders which it did.

Last edited:

Joe K Blow

Oct 11, 2020
Visit site
I should possibly start a new thread for this but, in addition to it not being able to see all of my imap folders, there is one other thing I'm not as happy about with my S10 as my S7.

Namely, whenever I pick up company cheques from our virtual office, I take pictures of them resized to 10% and email them to our admin department.

Very noticeably, the picture quality isn't as good when I do this with my S10 as it was with my S7.

Likely, if I do a bunch of searching and analysis, I will find that I have to change some picture settings or something on my S10 but I tend to be a "take it with it's default settings" kind of guy and never did anything like that with my S7 but the picture quality of these cheques resized to 10% is definitely noticeably better with the S7.

Joe K Blow

Oct 11, 2020
Visit site
Previously, when searching for alternative email programs to run on my S10, I hadn't realized that I could use gmail with our company imap server and, to refresh, I had installed BlueMail which did show all of my imap folders.

I was given a free LG K61 phone by our cell phone plan provider so I thought I'd see how the native email system worked on here but discovered that it doesn't seem to have a native email system but, instead, uses gmail.

As I usually do when setting up a phone, I had set up a gmail account using my secondary @gmail.com account but on here, I discovered that I could also set up my main company email account under gmail with all the usual imap settings for same.

I then discovered that it worked very well and sees all of my imap folders. Not only does it see them but it organizes them in a better way than does BlueMail or Samsung native email (on other my S7 or my S10). To refresh, I wasn't having this same problem with my S7 native email as with my S10 native email but, other than that, they seem very similar and they way that gmail displays all of the folders in superior in my mind.

So, I then installed my company imap account in gmail on my S10 and have solved my problem in a better way than I had previously by installing BlueMail.

Last edited:

Joe K Blow

Oct 11, 2020
Visit site
To refresh once again, my problem here wasn't that I was unhappy with my Samsung S10 native email in any particular way other than that I couldn't see and access all of my imap folders anymore as I could on my S7 and as I discovered I could under BlueMail, gmail or Outlook installed on my S10.

Anyways, I was finally able to resolve the problem and am now able to see all of my company email system imap folders. If anybody is interested, I will share more details about this.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sorry that no one has been following up on this, but I'm glad you were able to figure out the solution -- it certainly would be helpful to know how you did it!