Is flashing firmware using ODIN safe?

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
For the past year, I've had issues getting the OTA updates onto my ATT S10 phone. I have to contact ATT and ask them to push the update to my phone, and then I have to pull the SIM card and use a different ATT SIM card from my wife's iPad to get it installed. I've changed my SIM card twice now and still have issues getting OTA updates.

Iv'e read that downloading the firmware and flashing it myself using the Odin tool is an option, but I'm worried that I might brick my phone. Here are a few questions:

- How safe is it to use Odin to flash the firmware?
- Where can I get the proper firmware for my phone? I have an ATT carrier S10 which I've unlocked by entering the proper unlock code from ATT. Looking on my phone, the model is SM-G6973U and the CCS value is "OYN".
- My phone is not rooted. Can I still use Odin to flash it?
- Will flashing using Odin factory reset my phone?

Thanks for suggestions and advice.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi, you can use odin to flash it and its perfectly safe . You can go 2 options , stay on the carrier version use Tmobile firmware and flash eveytime a new update through odin. I say this way because Att firmware is hard to get hold of and all carrier firmware are interchangeable.
2nd option is flash to unlocked firmware and Att been good with OTA updates but you won't have Wi-Fi calling or stock Samsung rcs message app if that matters. If you flash with Tmobile firmware u won't factory reset, if you decide to go unlocked it will factory reset first time . Let me know i can help guide you either way.

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for that info. I appreciate the help! I'm currently chatting with an ATT supervisor trying to get this update issue resolved on their end. If that doesn't work, I may try the Odin route.

Thanks again.

jtfwTX

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Ok , your welcome!

Related question Mustang. My wife has an unlocked S9 we use with tmobile. She gets tmobile updates but still no RCS i assume bc its unlocked. If i wanted to flash the stock tmobile firmware, would that resolve this? Would she lose all her data/settings if I did this (with your help)?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Related question Mustang. My wife has an unlocked S9 we use with tmobile. She gets tmobile updates but still no RCS i assume bc its unlocked. If i wanted to flash the stock tmobile firmware, would that resolve this? Would she lose all her data/settings if I did this (with your help)?
Yes stock Tmobile firmware will get the rcs , but you can use Google messages to get rcs . I can definitely help and yeah first time switch from carrier to unlocked or unlocked to carrier does factory reset.

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Hi, you can use odin to flash it and its perfectly safe . You can go 2 options , stay on the carrier version use Tmobile firmware and flash eveytime a new update through odin. I say this way because Att firmware is hard to get hold of and all carrier firmware are interchangeable.
2nd option is flash to unlocked firmware and Att been good with OTA updates but you won't have Wi-Fi calling or stock Samsung rcs message app if that matters. If you flash with Tmobile firmware u won't factory reset, if you decide to go unlocked it will factory reset first time . Let me know i can help guide you either way.

Ok, it seems the OTA push that the online tech agent did yesterday didn't work (I'm not surprised). So, I'm looking at flashing my S10 myself. I'm on AT&T, and if I flash with T-Mobile firmware I'll have everything working ok except for WiFi calling and stock Samsung RCS messaging? Is that the only difference I'll see? Any other advice before I start down this path? Thanks.

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Yes stock Tmobile firmware will get the rcs , but you can use Google messages to get rcs . I can definitely help and yeah first time switch from carrier to unlocked or unlocked to carrier does factory reset.

Using Frija, I searched for Model: SM-G973U, CSC: TMB (for T-Mobile) and I could only find the firmware version that I already have installed (G973USQS4DTG1). If I switch to CSC: USC (US Cellular), I can find the most current firmware G973USQU4ETH7. Is it ok to install this firmware on my AT&T unlocked phone? Or, will I have issues later with features, etc. that I currently have with my stock ATT firmware version?

Thanks.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Using Frija, I searched for Model: SM-G973U, CSC: TMB (for T-Mobile) and I could only find the firmware version that I already have installed (G973USQS4DTG1). If I switch to CSC: USC (US Cellular), I can find the most current firmware G973USQU4ETH7. Is it ok to install this firmware on my AT&T unlocked phone? Or, will I have issues later with features, etc. that I currently have with my stock ATT firmware version?

Thanks.
You can flash either , you'll get everything !

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
You can flash either , you'll get everything !

Thanks. Unfortunately, Odin won't connect to my phone when I plug in my S10 via a USB-C cable. I keep getting a "unrecognized device" error message. I've tried using different USB ports on my Windows PC along with different cables and get the same error. My phone is in "Downloading Mode" (I turned the phone off, then held down the volume down + bixby + power button). Not sure what more I can do now.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thanks. Unfortunately, Odin won't connect to my phone when I plug in my S10 via a USB-C cable. I keep getting a "unrecognized device" error message. I've tried using different USB ports on my Windows PC along with different cables and get the same error. My phone is in "Downloading Mode" (I turned the phone off, then held down the volume down + bixby + power button). Not sure what more I can do now.
Turn the phone back on, when you plug it does it recognize? Also you accept it as a trusted computer in past ?

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Turn the phone back on, when you plug it does it recognize? Also you accept it as a trusted computer in past ?

Following your suggestion, I took my phone out of "downloading mode" and had it start up as normal. I then plugged it into my PC via a USB-C cable and selected "Transfer Files" as the connection mode. Then, I change the phone into "downloading Mode" again, reattached the cable and Odin recognized it. I started the firmware flashing for the T-Mobile (TMB) version of G973USQU4ETH7 (locked carrier) and everything loaded fine! My phone still appears to be an AT&T S10 with the latest security updates. The only weird thing, is that my computer turned off right after the phone update was finished.

Thanks for all your help, mustang7757. It is much appreciated. Now, I can update my firmware without having to contact ATT support and beg them to send an OTA.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Following your suggestion, I took my phone out of "downloading mode" and had it start up as normal. I then plugged it into my PC via a USB-C cable and selected "Transfer Files" as the connection mode. Then, I change the phone into "downloading Mode" again, reattached the cable and Odin recognized it. I started the firmware flashing for the T-Mobile (TMB) version of G973USQU4ETH7 (locked carrier) and everything loaded fine! My phone still appears to be an AT&T S10 with the latest security updates. The only weird thing, is that my computer turned off right after the phone update was finished.

Thanks for all your help, mustang7757. It is much appreciated. Now, I can update my firmware without having to contact ATT support and beg them to send an OTA.
Your welcome!

Was the screen timeout or computer turned off ?

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
This is a great option for getting the latest firmware and security patches installed on my S10. I learned that T-Mobile had a new one available and I was able to install it on my AT&T S10 (carrier locked) with no issues. At first I was nervous about bricking my phone, but so far I haven't had any issues and everything still looks stock-AT&T on my phone.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
This is a great option for getting the latest firmware and security patches installed on my S10. I learned that T-Mobile had a new one available and I was able to install it on my AT&T S10 (carrier locked) with no issues. At first I was nervous about bricking my phone, but so far I haven't had any issues and everything still looks stock-AT&T on my phone.
Glad i could help

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz