How to keep the subject on my photo from being blurry when the subject of the photo is moving?

jraul

Dec 28, 2020
Visit site
I am new to the Galaxy S10 plus and am disappointed that the subjects of my photos are blurry when the subject is moving. I came from a Pixel 2xl and didn't notice such a problem. Love the phone in general and its still photos, but I am asking for any recommendations. I am not a professional photographer but love the ability to take photos of my grandchildren and don't want to miss any.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi, welcome to AC!
Google does a better job at moving subjects, do you use singletake when you take the photos?

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Blurs can come from two places:
- out of focus: check the camera settings to see if there is a setting for "continuous focus" or "tracking focus" or similar. Often times you will need to tap on the screen to set the initial focus on the correct target.

- motion blur: This is caused by a shutter speed that is too slow for the moving subject to be frozen. If your camera has a sports mode, try that. In manual mode, crank up the ISO. If you have control over the lighting in the room, crank it up.

Make sure you have a high enough shutter speed for the subject type. For example:
walking adult 1/125
running child 1/250
high school sports 1/800
photographer's shaky hands 1/60

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
In addition to what ManiacJoe said, try panning the phone to follow the subject as you take the photo. This well help freeze the subject, but also blur the background (a common photographic technique to show action).

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! You are right - image stabilization on the S10 line isn't as efficient as it was on the Pixel 2 line. I felt the same thing going from my Google Pixel 2 to my Samsung Galaxy S10.

Mustang is right about Single Take producing good quality shots. I find that photos of my cat taken with Single Take - and she often moves during photo shoots lol - are better than with the "normal" camera mode enabled.