Is S10 a good phone to update from S8 in 2021?

cbfan123

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm currently using an S8, and no real problems with the phone, but the battery definitely is not holding a charge like before. I'm not looking for the latest and greatest phone, but I would like to receive security updates. And, the S10 has the earphone jack, however, it has the curved screen.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I'd say no. Go for an S20 FE or a pixel 4a or 5.

Personally I don't think a headphone jack is a hill worth dying on at this point.

cbfan123

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
The S20 FE is too big of a phone. Regarding the Pixels, they don't have SD card slot, but if they had it, I would definitely consider them.

Yeah, the headphone jack is not requirement but I absolutely cannot deal with a bigger phone. I find the S10 just a hair too big but manageable
I'd say no. Go for an S20 FE or a pixel 4a or 5.

Personally I don't think a headphone jack is a hill worth dying on at this point.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I have an S10 and love it! The curved screen is an aesthetic feature that I enjoy and have used on other phones before (Honor 8); but it has been difficult to fit screen protectors onto the screen for that reason - not to mention ones that work with the ultrasonic fingerprint sensor. However, I'm using a brand that I enjoy and there are a few other brands that work well!

You'll see a better camera and battery life if you do the jump. However, since the S10 will be about two years old in March, you're looking at less time for regular security updates. However, you'd still get them for a time.

Is getting a Samsung phone very important to you? You can always grab a Pixel 4a or Pixel 5 for an inexpensive price that will have guaranteed security updates for longer time periods, because they are newer. Google is very timely about updates - timelier than Samsung! I've used a Pixel in the past and enjoyed the timelier updates. You'll still get them with Samsung, of course - they may just vary in consistency from month to month. It all depends on your carrier, as well.

Roosterman

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I bought my s10 in April 2020. It's a great phone and I actually love the curved screen. I think it would be a good upgrade if you get it for a good price.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I'm currently using an S8, and no real problems with the phone, but the battery definitely is not holding a charge like before. I'm not looking for the latest and greatest phone, but I would like to receive security updates. And, the S10 has the earphone jack, however, it has the curved screen.
Hi, starting with the s10 and up will get 3 years of security and OS updates

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I bought my s10 in April 2020. It's a great phone and I actually love the curved screen. I think it would be a good upgrade if you get it for a good price.

I too love the curved screen of my S10. Not just the aesthetics, but using the Edge Screen in particular. Great innovation!

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
I love my S10+. I got mine Jan 2020 and don't regret it. It will upgrade to Android 12 I believe. Having tried out an S8 I know you will enjoy the 10 series. And the headphone jack is really useful. It also has the heartrate monitor on the back.

If you don't mind a slightly older tech you can't go wrong with the S10.

cbfan123

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for the responses. I realized that S8 is a 4 year old phone (I've been using it for 3 years). I actually don't like the curve screen, so in that regard, I would prefer the S10e, but I've read its battery isn't so great.

If I apply my use case to the S10 which is a 2 year old phone, if I move forward, then I would use it probably for at least 2 years. What is a reasonable price for a used S10?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for the responses. I realized that S8 is a 4 year old phone (I've been using it for 3 years). I actually don't like the curve screen, so in that regard, I would prefer the S10e, but I've read its battery isn't so great.

If I apply my use case to the S10 which is a 2 year old phone, if I move forward, then I would use it probably for at least 2 years. What is a reasonable price for a used S10?

The S10e is also a great phone - I was going to purchase that or the S10. I chose the S10 because of the telephoto lens and the bigger battery.

As far as acceptable prices for a used S10, I'd have a look around the Marketplace in these forums. Lots of people use AC to sell their phones. EBay may also be a good place to start. Just make sure to test out the phone before you buy it! Good luck, and let us know what happens!

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
Or buy one from Amazon renewed. You get a 90 day warranty and the phone is sold like new. Travis McP on YouTube does a series on Amazon renewed phones and it is a decent programme. I used it in the UK to buy my mum a Note 8 and the phone was mint. In the US it is the same.

I bought a Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus from Amazon Renewed in 2020! / Travis MCP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6ASmDkNAxM

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site

If you don't like the curved screen the new S21 regular and plus will have a flat screen. It goes live tomorrow at 10am and you can pre-order and get free galaxy buds live. And if you RSVP before tomorrow you can get $50 or $60 in accessory credit.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Or buy one from Amazon renewed. You get a 90 day warranty and the phone is sold like new. Travis McP on YouTube does a series on Amazon renewed phones and it is a decent programme. I used it in the UK to buy my mum a Note 8 and the phone was mint. In the US it is the same.

I bought a Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus from Amazon Renewed in 2020! / Travis MCP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6ASmDkNAxM

That's a really good idea! I never would have thought to do that, and Amazon is so trustworthy to begin with.

Warner 73

Jan 16, 2021
Visit site
Anymore, the SD cards aren't really important since everything is saved through different ways such as Google, Samsung cloud, etc... I'm not too familiar with the S20 FE, but all the Galaxy phones I've
upgraded, I just needed my Google account to keep my contacts and everything else such as, pics documents or anything important is on my cloud as well as my app through Amazon prime. I have an SD card but rarely use it anymore.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Anymore, the SD cards aren't really important since everything is saved through different ways such as Google, Samsung cloud, etc... I'm not too familiar with the S20 FE, but all the Galaxy phones I've
upgraded, I just needed my Google account to keep my contacts and everything else such as, pics documents or anything important is on my cloud as well as my app through Amazon prime. I have an SD card but rarely use it anymore.

Hi, welcome to AC!
Which Samsung you have ?

Warner 73

Jan 16, 2021
Visit site
Right now I have the S10+, but upgradeing to a Note S20. That doesn't hold the SD, but honestly, I haven't used it since I had the S9. All my important information, docs, apps, pics contacts, etc transfers via Bluetooth every time I upgrade.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Artistnos