Unable to select Charge Only when plugged into new vehicle

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Wife got a new vehicle and when I'm driving I want to plug into power. Unfortunately this new rig has the power port over by the passengers left knee just to the left of the glove box, so I'm pretty much forced to use a usb port in the center stack. When I do, it wants to launch android auto, and also asks me if I want to allow access to contacts. I pull down the notification panel and tap on USB Connectivity and select Charge Only, but it won't stay. It immediately goes back to File Transfer mode and wants to connect to the vehicle. Anyone know how I can use the usb port without having it try to connect to each other?

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Or maybe an extension lead for a car power adapter?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07BRVN...ag=hawk-future-21&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6915178

They may have one on the American Amazon if you search for the keywords in this listing. Only £10 so should be similar price in $

I have a power socket, it's just that it's placement makes it look stupid, plugging into a phone on the other side of the vehicle. the power socket, if you can believe it, is on the bottom half of the passenger side dash, to the left of the glove box. Really dumb.

ronnies62

Sep 22, 2019
Visit site
Wife got a new vehicle and when I'm driving I want to plug into power. Unfortunately this new rig has the power port over by the passengers left knee just to the left of the glove box, so I'm pretty much forced to use a usb port in the center stack. When I do, it wants to launch android auto, and also asks me if I want to allow access to contacts. I pull down the notification panel and tap on USB Connectivity and select Charge Only, but it won't stay. It immediately goes back to File Transfer mode and wants to connect to the vehicle. Anyone know how I can use the usb port without having it try to connect to each other?
I'm having sort of the same kind of issue.
But mine won't stay on the "transfer/android auto".

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm having sort of the same kind of issue.
But mine won't stay on the "transfer/android auto".

Not sure about that. My issue was I didn't want the car seeing my phone as a data device. I wanted charge only, and I've since found a setting buried in the car menus that will allow me to specify that I want that phone as a charge-only device. So now it just doesn't do anything but charge, which is the way I want it. Your issue seems the opposite. Do you have Android Auto installed on your phone?

ronnies62

Sep 22, 2019
Visit site
Do you have Android Auto installed on your phone?

Yes I do. I've installed, updated, uninstalled, reinstalled, deleted cache, swapped cables..........but still having issues.
Android Auto will not fully uninstall. Its part of Androids operating system now. So even if you click uninstall its still there waiting for updates.
I'm about to throw this Samsung S10 out on the freeway. My wifes iPhone has no issues at all.

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Yes I do. I've installed, updated, uninstalled, reinstalled, deleted cache, swapped cables..........but still having issues.
Android Auto will not fully uninstall. Its part of Androids operating system now. So even if you click uninstall its still there waiting for updates.
I'm about to throw this Samsung S10 out on the freeway. My wifes iPhone has no issues at all.

Does the car see the phone at all when you plug into USB?

ronnies62

Sep 22, 2019
Visit site
Is the phone already connected via Bluetooth successfully?
This phone has been working with this car with no issues.....until last week. Something changed, updated or what I dont know.

Uninstalled, reinstalled....and now I touch this AA icon....and I get a black screen.....
13f50aafb00963fc641d5e0e55670b2a.jpg

ronnies62

Sep 22, 2019
Visit site
Yes...bluetooth is connected.

I really don't understand what happened to my Android Auto icon...its gone.

When I uninstall and reinstall my phone tells me to touch the mic key...but when I do that I get no response at all.....its acting like AA is not completely installed.

The only way to find it on my phone is to search for it because there is no icon.

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Yes...bluetooth is connected.

I really don't understand what happened to my Android Auto icon...its gone.

When I uninstall and reinstall my phone tells me to touch the mic key...but when I do that I get no response at all.....its acting like AA is not completely installed.

The only way to find it on my phone is to search for it because there is no icon.
Sounds like maybe there is an issue with your vehicle software. Have you checked for any updates or performed a factory reset on your infotainment system?

ronnies62

Sep 22, 2019
Visit site
Sounds like maybe there is an issue with your vehicle software. Have you checked for any updates or performed a factory reset on your infotainment system?
I don't believe there is a factory reset. The Kenwood software has never been changed.

Besides, it connects to my wifes IPhone with no problems at all.