I think it happened when my S10 (on Verizon) received the Android 11 upgrade. Samsung Pay has always worked flawlessly for me (even when the cashier told me it wouldn't! ) But now it just won't, even places I've been using it since Day 1 (like Target) , it throws a read error every time.

I've tried deleting and re-entering my card info and "Resetting" the app, to no avail.

I've checked and I have the latest Verizon updates.

Thank you for any advice.
    02-25-2021 05:40 PM
    what do you mean by resetting the app? did you uninstall then reinstall? You also did not give specifics. are you using a third party launcher? Are you still able to scroll up to open it? Is it nfc not working or mst or both? Did you try deleting the phones cache partition?
    02-25-2021 05:46 PM
    In the app, Settings -> Reset. It deletes everything, and when you restart the app, it behaves as a new install. You have to re-enter all personal info, re-add your cards, etc. I didn't think to manually clear the cache, as it appears to do that anyway.

I am not using a third-party launcher and yes, scroll up launches the app normally.

Is it nfc not working or mst or both?

I have no idea how to check this. I don't see anything in the app regarding that. I thought used NFC, I admit I don't even know what MST is (to me, it means "multiple spanning tree" protocol...

Thank you!
    02-25-2021 06:10 PM
    Samsung Pay worked just fine for me literally 15 minutes ago. I have an updated S10, but didn't reset the app.
    02-25-2021 07:39 PM
    Samsung Pay worked just fine for me literally 15 minutes ago. I have an updated S10, but didn't reset the app.
    Ok, yaay you.

Not sure how that addresses my issue.
    02-25-2021 09:18 PM
    Ok, yaay you.

Not sure how that addresses my issue.
    It means that it's not the phone nor the update. And sarcasm doesn't get you help.
    02-25-2021 09:29 PM
    It means that it's not the phone nor the update. And sarcasm doesn't get you help.
    Ok, I get it, sorry. Was a bit frustrated atm.
    02-25-2021 11:39 PM
    First a real mea culpa to @808Mobi - my flip response was uncalled for when they were only trying to help, and I apologize to them and everyone else here. I was not having a good day, but that's no excuse for my post.

Secondly, this morning I first cleared the Samsung Pay app cache and data, then deleted the app, reinstalled it and re-added my cards. I went to the supermarket that has a self-checkout (it wasn't crowded) and found that it seems to be only my go-to card that isn't working (the same card I've almost always used since I got my S10 when it first hit the market). When I tried a different card, it didn't have an issue.

Not sure what that means, and it's hard to experiment obviously, but as a start I'm going to reach out to that particular credit card company and see if there's any known issues - they're a well-known company, just not sure it's appropriate to name them.
    02-26-2021 01:09 PM
    No problem. My guess is your go to card might have to be reauthorized by the issuer. I remember having to call my bank when I got a new phone so they could process it. Just a guess. Good luck.
    02-26-2021 03:43 PM
    No problem. My guess is your go to card might have to be reauthorized by the issuer. I remember having to call my bank when I got a new phone so they could process it. Just a guess. Good luck.
    The thing is, when you add the card, it says it's "Contacting the cardholder for authorization", and in fact I got a text from them saying they did so. So I don't know. But I think you're right, it's something on their side. Just have to get in the right mood to call them and likely sit in the queue for 45 minutes.

Thanks...and thanks.
    02-26-2021 04:31 PM
    First a real mea culpa to @808Mobi - my flip response was uncalled for when they were only trying to help, and I apologize to them and everyone else here. I was not having a good day, but that's no excuse for my post.

Secondly, this morning I first cleared the Samsung Pay app cache and data, then deleted the app, reinstalled it and re-added my cards. I went to the supermarket that has a self-checkout (it wasn't crowded) and found that it seems to be only my go-to card that isn't working (the same card I've almost always used since I got my S10 when it first hit the market). When I tried a different card, it didn't have an issue.

Not sure what that means, and it's hard to experiment obviously, but as a start I'm going to reach out to that particular credit card company and see if there's any known issues - they're a well-known company, just not sure it's appropriate to name them.
    should be no problems naming the bank card. You would be just troubleshooting to see if anyone else with the card are having problems.
    02-26-2021 04:35 PM
    should be no problems naming the bank card. You would be just troubleshooting to see if anyone else with the card are having problems.
    It's a Discover card that's being problematic. My American Express went right through (but the rewards aren't as good )
    02-26-2021 04:42 PM
    It's a Discover card that's being problematic. My American Express went right through (but the rewards aren't as good )
    a lot of users have problems with Discover Card. Are you sure the merchant accepts Discover Cards?
    02-27-2021 01:37 AM
    a lot of users have problems with Discover Card. Are you sure the merchant accepts Discover Cards?
    Yes, it's the same 4 or 5 places I've always used it. And, when Samsung Pay fails, I've been using the physical Discover card.

I'll note also, these are major stores, like Target.
    02-27-2021 10:39 AM
    Been meaning to update this. Discover was of no help, but when I tried it again last week, it was working again. And it's been fine ever since.

Sometimes I suspect companies know there's an issue, but won't admit it, and they silently fix it.

Anyway, thanks for everyone's input.
    808Mobi and Laura Knotek like this.
    03-18-2021 03:51 PM