SMS messages (generally info.)

towngirl

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Can someone explain to me about sms messages. The app doesn't matter, it's all of them.

You can send a message. Sometimes you get error about not being able to sending sms. Then it works. (All on one app)

Is it having your Wi-Fi on, or off that makes the difference?

Wi-Fi sends sms and not mobile or vice versa.

Not having a problem... just trying to understand.

Thanks.

And Merry Christmas to those that celebrate.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
SMS does not use WiFi, so having WiFi on or off will not make any difference. What will make a difference is how good your mobile connectivity is. If you aren't getting a strong signal, SMS will not send.

Another issue is with network congestion. If you are in a place where many people are also texting, such as at a basketball arena with capacity crowd, then that may also cause SMS to fail to sent.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I think wi-fi calling on certain networks can also be a little glitchy. AT&T has had some issues with SMS over wi-fi calling, I seem to recall.

towngirl

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
So you get a new phone, it says it can't send sms messages. And you try setting until it sends.

(I can't send sms messages .. neither can my friends)

Let's say Google messages.
Or Samsung messages.
Both have the problem.

Not sure what you do, that finally makes Google or Samsung, finally send. And stops saying can't send sms messages.

Not sure I even know how to clearly ask.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If your cell coverage is spotty, that can be part of the problem.

If wi-fi calling is messing things up (as previously discussed), you could try turning off wi-fi calling and seeing if the problem goes way.

towngirl

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I am not having a problem, at the moment. It is something about cells I don't understand. Why they even do this. (I always have the problem with a new cell, but it's fixed when phone is all set up.)

Can you send sms messages?

Thanks for explaining it, better.

dpomerance

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I have this problem periodically and multiple retries don't go through. Reboot the phone and it goes through with nothing else changing.

werkx

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
As far as I understand it, SMS and phone communication (not wifi calling) is mainly through cellular voice network, separate from cell data network. So if you have spotty cell service, SMS will hang. Depending on the device and also the mobile carrier, they sometime link both voice and data together.

During my Sprint days, when I was in the mountains with spotty coverage, at times I was able to text via SMS, but could not receive email or internet. Now with T-Mobile, it seems like they tied them together so it's all or nothing for me in similar spotty coverage. (I don't use wifi calling.)