Force Android update?

jpipes

Jul 4, 2022
Visit site
2 years ago I bought a BOGO deal on the S10+ from ATT. One phone is still on ATT and is running flawless on Android 12.

The other phone got unlocked about 18 months ago, switched to T-mobile, and is now just recently running a Mint Wireless 3-month trial. The unlocked / T-mobile / Mint phone is running Android 9 and says it is up to date on software. Why will it not update to any more recent version of Android?

If possible, how can I get that phone to manually update to a newer version?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! AT&T-branded phones have always seemed to have issues getting updates if they're not on AT&T's network.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Have you tried moving the SIM card from your S10+ that HAS received updates to the ohone that hasn't and seeing if it can update? That line should already be provisioned by AT&T as an Android device so, in theory, that should work despite the change of IMEI on their network.

I suggest this because I've done it before (I'm on AT&T as well) and its worked for me.

jpipes

Jul 4, 2022
Visit site
Thank you for the tip however I have not ever heard of Odin or Frija. Is this a welcome prank similar to what I used to do to the new electricians and send them for the fluorescent tube bender or the metric shovel? Because I would outright laugh if it were...

meanwhile, I'll ask Google who Odin and Frija are. I'll either learn something funny and laugh, or learn something useful. :D

tadpoles: Thanks for the advice but I have tried this with no success. I was in a hurry though so I'll try again and give the unlocked phone an hour or so on the ATT sim before checking for updates. Thanks!

B. Diddy: Thanks for the knowledge. I'm going to install my good ATT sim into the other phone and give it an hour or so on the ATT network, then search for an update again. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

jpipes

Jul 4, 2022
Visit site
mustang 7757: It ends in U

unlocked ATT / T-Mobile / Mint Wireless
Samsung SM-G975U (on Android 9)

ATT locked Samsung SM-G975U (on android 12)

MNMobileGuy

Banned
Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
2 years ago I bought a BOGO deal on the S10+ from ATT. One phone is still on ATT and is running flawless on Android 12.

The other phone got unlocked about 18 months ago, switched to T-mobile, and is now just recently running a Mint Wireless 3-month trial. The unlocked / T-mobile / Mint phone is running Android 9 and says it is up to date on software. Why will it not update to any more recent version of Android?

If possible, how can I get that phone to manually update to a newer version?
AT&T requires that you have an active SIM inserted, in order for OTA updates to work