Samsung S10 Very Odd Fast Wireless Charging Behaviour

osystem123

Oct 10, 2022
Visit site
So I have a few dual port (USB-A and USB-C) chargers (some are 20W, some are 45W, and some are 65W), a few charging plates/mats (all supporting 7.5/10/15W, all USB-C) and a few different A-C and C-C cables and I see the following behaviour in all of them:

Connect A-C cables from any of the chargers to any of the wireless plates, put Samsung S10 on plate and it displays "Fast Wireless Charging" on screen - all good.

Connect C-C cables from any of the chargers directly into Samsung S10 and it displays "Fast Charging" - all good.

Connect C-C cables from any of the chargers to any of the wireless plates, put Samsung S10 on plate and it displays "Wireless Charging" on screen, i.e not "Fast Wireless Charging" - not good.

Why is it not fast charging through wireless charging when using the PD port in the chargers? is Samsung blocking it? do the chargers/plates need any specific feature when using wireless charging via the USB-C/power delivery port in the chargers?

Any ideas what could be happening?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried a different C-C cable? Or a different charger? In order for Fast Wireless charging to be enabled, the base has to have a compatible Fast Charger connected (I assume the charger you're using for an A-C cable is not the same as the C-C cable).

osystem123

Oct 10, 2022
Visit site
Hi, yes as stated I have tried this across different chargers, cables and charging pads. All the chargers are dual port (A and C) ports, all supporting Quick Charge 3.0. Connecting from port A to the wireless pad allows for "fast wireless charging" while when using the C ports in the same chargers only allows for "wireless charging" though connecting directly by cable from the C ports to the Samsung S10 does allow "fast charging".

Interestingly I just tried a new 20W Ugreen dual port charger (A and C ports) and "fast wireless charging" does work from both ports! so it seems to suggest that the other chargers might be missing some protocol/profile that Samsung uses for fast wireless charging via a C / PD port only. Sorry, probably a bit too technical for this forum.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
We do tend to dabble in the less-esoteric side of tech things hehe (we have XDA for that!), but I was gonna say that if one port worked and the USB-C didn't, either the cable didn't have the right chip for the higher power delivery handshake with the other device, or the charger didn't support a Samsung-compatible protocol for that port (and yes, Samsung has been known for being 'picky' with what constitutes 'compatible. with Fast Charging for a 3 or 4 iterations now). At least now you know!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance