"Whole" Punch Makes a Notch Seem Good

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I honestly thought the mockups months ago were a parody of the other phones having a notch. Turns out it's real and makes notches seem great in comparison. IMO Samsung made an even worse design than the notch. Considering the price and the oddly placed display hole, do you think Samsung should be shocked if sales are lacking?

Typed this with my Note 9.

Last edited:

tcdude

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Re: Whole Punch Makes a Notch Seem Good

I'm kind of skeptical too but I have an open mind I want to see it first

Anyone know if the screen can be formatted to go just below the punch hole like others do around the notch?

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site

Doesn't bother me as much as the curved screens do. Also much better than Apples giant notch, but would have preferred to see it in the center.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site

I'll wait to see it in person. Anyone with holelaphobia is going to be driven crazy by it. But I think most regular people looking to buy the newest Samsung phone will see it for what it is, a front camera.

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site

A total non-issue. Infinitely better than Apple's horrific notch. Actually kind of cool looking.

arunma

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site

I can live with the hole, it's definitely better than a notch. But I wish Samsung would return to a 16:9 aspect ratio so that videos can fill the entire screen without cropping them.

tcdude

May 22, 2013
Visit site

I can live with the hole, it's definitely better than a notch. But I wish Samsung would return to a 16:9 aspect ratio so that videos can fill the entire screen without cropping them.

These new aspect ratios seem to be the new trend, are there any new phones in 2019 with a 16:9 aspect ratio?

dfwfreaks

Jan 24, 2019
Visit site

But with the punch hole, it gonna be weird with the entire screen

barondebxl

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site

I also think that a notch makes more sense than a hole on the screen. At least with the notch there is some sort of symmetry so to speak. With the hole punch it's just there by itself and looks out of place. I do appreciate Samsung for trying something different but in this case it just seems to be different just to avoid the notch.

tcdude

May 22, 2013
Visit site

I have mixed emotions about this also but I do know I would have preferred it on the top left or the middle but the middle would seem to much like a notch

I have to see it in person before I can say I like it or not

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

I guess the N10 will have an even bigguh' hole! Samsung in their inner bubble of design self greatness.

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site

Functionally I guess it will work the same - with clock, battery, network, wifi, indicators splitting to either side of it. Not sure how it makes a difference if it's a notch or a hole. Not a fan of either, but I guess if I had to pick one, I'll take the hole. I may just prefer to shrink the screen so it is below the hole with no obstructions - if they give that option (they should).

tcdude

May 22, 2013
Visit site

Functionally I guess it will work the same - with clock, battery, network, wifi, indicators splitting to either side of it. Not sure how it makes a difference if it's a notch or a hole. Not a fan of either, but I guess if I had to pick one, I'll take the hole. I may just prefer to shrink the screen so it is below the hole with no obstructions - if they give that option (they should).

I hope they give us the option to at least we can decide for ourselves

Soylent_Green

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site

I agree 100% I do not want a hole in my screen, this is the first new Samsung phone I am not buying.

hasasimo

May 3, 2014
Visit site

There always seems to be people who are resistant to advancements in design. I'll gladly be hopping on the Infinity-O display train with the S10 before it's the norm. This could end up being the nicest phone design ever for me, from the polished metal chassis (possibly stainless steel) to the always scrumptious Samsung display, this time as bezel-less as they come for popular US flagships.

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site

There always seems to be people who are resistant to advancements in design. I'll gladly be hopping on the Infinity-O display train with the S10 before it's the norm. This could end up being the nicest phone design ever for me, from the polished metal chassis (possibly stainless steel) to the always scrumptious Samsung display, this time as bezel-less as they come for popular US flagships.
That's not an "advancement in design". It's a stupid choice to fake out the customer into believing the screen is bigger when now you've got what is essentially a permanent group of dead pixels that could have been actual screen area.

How does it work with a full screen video?