New Leak on S10 vs Plus

Glen2018

Feb 11, 2018
Visit site
I sure like the finger print sensor on the back of my S9. I had no intention to get an S10 but hopefully when I do need a new phone Samsung will have a model with a rear sensor. I also had an S8 and the placement wasn't quite as good as it is now in the S9 but I just can't see the logic of putting it in the front. On tabs and maybe the plus sizes a screen sensor would be nice but as long as I can pick up my phone I want a fingerprint sensor on the back where my index finger naturally falls.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm assuming that at least some pressure would need to be applied when registering a print, so the best case scenario in terms of screen replacement would be for it to be a separate component. My concern would be how much of an affect the ultrasonic sensor will have on battery life, both in standby mode and when in use, since people unlock their phones often throughout the day. From what I've seen so far, having the optical sensors enabled kills a battery faster.

Pressure isn't needed. I can't imagine either this or an optical sensor would have an additional draw on battery life.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I sure like the finger print sensor on the back of my S9. I had no intention to get an S10 but hopefully when I do need a new phone Samsung will have a model with a rear sensor. I also had an S8 and the placement wasn't quite as good as it is now in the S9 but I just can't see the logic of putting it in the front. On tabs and maybe the plus sizes a screen sensor would be nice but as long as I can pick up my phone I want a fingerprint sensor on the back where my index finger naturally falls.

Rear sensors are dead after the 9 generation. Front makes a lot more sense from an ergonomic/usability standpoint. The only reason they switched from front to back to begin with I because of the move towards greater screen size.

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Rear sensors are dead after the 9 generation. Front makes a lot more sense from an ergonomic/usability standpoint. The only reason they switched from front to back to begin with I because of the move towards greater screen size.
While you and I may find it more usable on the front, others may find it more usable on the back. You can't say they are wrong. It's a user preference.

jeetu4444

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
I dont think it's worth shifting from amazing Note 9 to S10+...rather wait for Note 10 which will be more awesome and with Spen....I have Note 9 and mate 20 pro as my daily drivers...love both of them...

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Samsung will be selling screen protectors directly-- PLASTIC screen protectors, according to Roland Quandt.

And will probably charge like $30 for it too LOL. I don't even use a screen protector on my Note 9. Just a Defender case. I certainly wouldn't use a cheap plastic one. They're useless except to protect from light scratches.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
While you and I may find it more usable on the front, others may find it more usable on the back. You can't say they are wrong. It's a user preference.

Never said they were wrong, just that there are reasons why the rear readers are dead.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I used to feel exactly the same way - I wanted a front fingerprint scanner - but after using one on the rear for almost a year, I can't see using one in the screen. The rear is just where my finger happens to be when I grab the phone. (You can use your thumb on a front scanner, I guess, but it just feels natural using a rear scanner now.) As you say - user preference.

[Moved to the S10 forum.]

Johnston212

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
Yep, I understand the in-screen finger print reader won't work with screen protectors, thus the need for a hole in the screen protector. I am holding on to my note 9 anyway but the hole in the screen protector is ridiculous.

To be honest, I haven't used a screen protector on my S7 Edge or S8+. Never had a problem

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20