How does Samsung trade in work?

paulwilko10

Mar 9, 2016
Visit site
So, last year I got the s9+ by trading in my s7.
I am 1 year into the contract
I did it believing that I could do the same this year if I wanted the s10 which I do.

So how does it work?

I can see the normal trade in but I can't see how it works when you have a current contract with okay years trade in.

Help please👍

Thanks

Paul

Bla1ze

Community Manager
Staff member
Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...Ffrequently-asked-questions%2F&token=ElVyGxvV

Relevant sections for you that may help:

The device I’m trading in is one that I bought using an equal payment or other financing plan, and I still have payments left on it. Can I still trade it in?

Yes – however, please note that all remaining payments on the device you’re trading in are your responsibility. You may also be subject to additional fees. Check with your current carrier for details.

I lease my device. Can I trade it in?

No – leased devices are not eligible for this Trade-In Promotion unless you purchase the leased device from your carrier before trading it in. Check with your carrier for details.

paulwilko10

Mar 9, 2016
Visit site
Just to confirm, I traded mine in with the Samsung trade in last year, so only payments I have left are through the programme with Samsung if that makes any difference?

dirt4444

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone else purchased directly from Samsung? I read that they usually don't ship as soon as the ones pre-ordered through carriers. This will be my first time not ordering directly from Verizon.

jlangner

Oct 9, 2016
Visit site
Has anyone else purchased directly from Samsung? I read that they usually don't ship as soon as the ones pre-ordered through carriers. This will be my first time not ordering directly from Verizon.

If you reserve says get by March 8.

jlangner

Oct 9, 2016
Visit site
So, last year I got the s9+ by trading in my s7.
I am 1 year into the contract
I did it believing that I could do the same this year if I wanted the s10 which I do.

So how does it work?

I can see the normal trade in but I can't see how it works when you have a current contract with okay years trade in.

Help please??????

Thanks

Paul

As another said, as long as making payments you still have to keep paying the remaining payments even though don't have phone but you are getting $550 credit so really almost a wash in your case.

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
We own our phones out right and bought from Samsung and Best Buy their unlocked. My husbands Note 8 came from Samsung and my 9 plus Best Buy. I reserved us both a spot from Samsung but I've been reading horror stories of people that say they trade in good phones only to be told that there's something wrong and they don't get the full amount.

So now I'm scared I don't know whether to do Samsung or see what Best Buy's doing.b I rather giving 550 but I got to make sure they will let us use the 550 off to buy new unlocked phones outright. cuz they're doing a 650 deal but they want you to do 2 year leases with your carrier and im not doing that.

dirt4444

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
As another said, as long as making payments you still have to keep paying the remaining payments even though don't have phone but you are getting $550 credit so really almost a wash in your case.

So this is considered the Samsung Phone Upgrade program? Basically you have the option to upgrade after 12 months if you want to. Is there a catch? I don't see why anyone wouldn't choose this option.

I tried contacting Samsung before pre-ordering and choosing this option but couldn't get anyone on chat.

808Mobi

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
So do you send your old phone in after you get the s10?
Yes. Included in the box with your new phone is a return shipping label. They give you something like 10 days to put your old phone in the box, attach the return prepaid shipping label, and drop it off at FedEx. You then wait for a couple of months for confirmation that your trade in is successful.

808Mobi

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
As I recall from last year, they all shipped out about the same time.

paulwilko10

Mar 9, 2016
Visit site
I am so sorry, i must be thick or something.

So. I purchased the S9+ last year by trading in my S7
I entered the trade in programme

I know want to trade in my S9 for the S10

Are you saying i literally just start again by trading in the S9 fo rthe S10 an dthe credit i get i pay off the current contract?

That makes no sense, why is that a trade in programme?

That is literally just paying off a loan early!

Am I missing something here?

jlangner

Oct 9, 2016
Visit site
So this is considered the Samsung Phone Upgrade program? Basically you have the option to upgrade after 12 months if you want to. Is there a catch? I don't see why anyone wouldn't choose this option.

I tried contacting Samsung before pre-ordering and choosing this option but couldn't get anyone on chat.

No they were referring to if still owed there carrier I thought. In my case I traded Note 9 in and got $550. I am still making payments at t-mobile. T-mobile had a special when got note 9 with credits so only paying $9/month and they pay $21 in credits toward the device ($30 total/mo). I save by doing that way.

With the upgrade program the first year you get $550 off of the phone. Next year you don't because the credit pays off the phone so then instead of paying $18 it is $41/mo. Only other issue on upgrade is you have to wait exactly 365 days to upgrade. If S11 comes out at 350 days you can not upgrade early to get..have to wait and you know how impatient we are ;)

paulwilko10

Mar 9, 2016
Visit site
No they were referring to if still owed there carrier I thought. In my case I traded Note 9 in and got $550. I am still making payments at t-mobile. T-mobile had a special when got note 9 with credits so only paying $9/month and they pay $21 in credits toward the device ($30 total/mo). I save by doing that way.

With the upgrade program the first year you get $550 off of the phone. Next year you don't because the credit pays off the phone so then instead of paying $18 it is $41/mo. Only other issue on upgrade is you have to wait exactly 365 days to upgrade. If S11 comes out at 350 days you can not upgrade early to get..have to wait and you know how impatient we are ;)

Yeah, ive been getting all mixed up between trade in and upgrade.

So, currently i traded my S7 for my S9+ and am paying £25 / month
If i trade my S9 for the S10+ it will then be £33 / month

I am almost better off selling my S9+, paying off the loan and starting a contract with Vodafone, but then i will lose the option of a 12 month upgrade or i could just pay Samsung monthly.

But this upgrade program seems to be very good for the first year but crap after or have i got that wrong?

jlangner

Oct 9, 2016
Visit site
Yeah, ive been getting all mixed up between trade in and upgrade.

So, currently i traded my S7 for my S9+ and am paying £25 / month
If i trade my S9 for the S10+ it will then be £33 / month

I am almost better off selling my S9+, paying off the loan and starting a contract with Vodafone, but then i will lose the option of a 12 month upgrade or i could just pay Samsung monthly.

But this upgrade program seems to be very good for the first year but crap after or have i got that wrong?

Yeah, I was torn as well. You are right about 1st year vs. 2nd...Ex.

S10+ $1000 - $550 (Note 9 credit) = $450. After 1 year I should owe $225. If I am reading right then upgrade program would pay off the $225 so a $225 credit. But if they offer $550 next year as well for 1 year old phone then you are losing $$ since just getting $225 vs $550.

paulwilko10

Mar 9, 2016
Visit site
Yeah, I was torn as well. You are right about 1st year vs. 2nd...Ex.

S10+ $1000 - $550 (Note 9 credit) = $450. After 1 year I should owe $225. If I am reading right then upgrade program would pay off the $225 so a $225 credit. But if they offer $550 next year as well for 1 year old phone then you are losing $$ since just getting $225 vs $550.

I can get about £350 for my s9+ away from Samsung. I reckon I have appx£300 left to pay so I'm theory using the upgrade program I'm £50 down but more hassle to get it all sorted.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463