Pay Off T-Mobile EIP Before Trading into Samsung

RG129

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Does anybody know if I'm required to pay off my S9+ with T-Mobile before trading it into Samsung for the $550 credit? I don't want the open financing to make my Samsung credit invalid, but I also don't want to close my T-Mobile financing because I'm afraid I'll lose the $15 in monthly credits for another year. Every time I call T-Mobile to verify if I'll still receive the credit after paying off the EIP, I get different answers.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
You can't trade something in that you don't own (and you don't own the phone until you've paid it off).

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Does anybody know if I'm required to pay off my S9+ with T-Mobile before trading it into Samsung for the $550 credit? I don't want the open financing to make my Samsung credit invalid, but I also don't want to close my T-Mobile financing because I'm afraid I'll lose the $15 in monthly credits for another year. Every time I call T-Mobile to verify if I'll still receive the credit after paying off the EIP, I get different answers.

What was the promotion you were on?

RG129

May 16, 2010
Visit site
You can't trade something in that you don't own (and you don't own the phone until you've paid it off).

Per the Samsung Trade-In details:

The device I’m trading in is one that I bought using an equal payment or other financing plan, and I still have payments left on it. Can I still trade it in?

Yes – however, please note that all remaining payments on the device you’re trading in are your responsibility. You may also be subject to additional fees. Check with your current carrier for details.

So it appears that they don't care if it's still being financed, I just know how messy Samsung trade-ins can be. Ideally I will just trade the phone in, and still see the EIP statements and credits on my T-Mobile bill for another year. I saw comments about this before, but no confirmations.

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I traded in my S7e to get the S9+ through T-Mobile. I'm receiving $15/mo credits for 24 months.
You'll still receive the credit from t-mobile as long as the line stays open. Once the device is paid for it will just issue credits until the amount of the credits are fufilled.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

So it appears that they don't care if it's still being financed, I just know how messy Samsung trade-ins can be. Ideally I will just trade the phone in, and still see the EIP statements and credits on my T-Mobile bill for another year. I saw comments about this before, but no confirmations.
Samsung doesn't care - but the company you owe the money to will.

tfrankson

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm also in this boat. A Tmobile rep told me I would lose my credits because the credit applies to that phone for that particular promotion. Once you start using another phone, they will know and you will loose the credits. That's what was explained me. The only way to keep the credits is either keep the phone for the duration, pay off the EIP but you're still using the phone then the credits would go towards the balance of the bill for the remaining months or open another line. So I'm not sure I guess I will find out because I pre-ordered through samsung and I still have 13 months of credits. I will see if it goes towards the balance or not.

Jaytee2014

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site

Same situation here, i still have an EIP balance of 390, but the trade-in value is 550, so I'd rather pay my balance then trade it in. Yes, you have to pay your remaining balance.

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
Does anybody know if I'm required to pay off my S9+ with T-Mobile before trading it into Samsung for the $550 credit?

When you go to the trade-in page, you'll see all the details--including that one.

And the answer is, of course you must. The phone you trade in, you must OWN free and clear.

You're not allowed to do anything with anyone else's phone. In your case, with EIP, T-Mobile still owns the phone.

Philipmom

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
I was told that the trade in value would be applied to the pay off of the device since I'm using jod. The idea is to not have to wait for a credit later in the mail. The fine print says it will take up to three billing cycles to recieve the credit. So using auto pay i imagine will will pay the whole balance so i may have to disable that but not sure. If you are not using jod you would have to pay off the device up front like any other carrier. I talked to a rep yesterday. (I'm on the miltary plan and will lose that $15 credit from my s9+ I imagine as well)

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site

Yes neither T-Mobile or Samsung care about the phone. You actually bought the phone, but T-Mobile is letting you pay for it over 24 months. Only if you cancel service, does T-Mobile charge you for the remaining phone balance. If say you decided to just stop paying your bill. T-Mobile doesn't send a rep to get the phone back. T-Mobile makes money off you by keeping you locked into their service for 24 months and longer. Which is why they offer JOD, to keep you with t-mobile. So it's perfectly fine to sell/trade in a phone still under EIP. If you then stop making payments, T-Mobile sends your count to collections. Again they never ask or require the phone be returned, as it's yours and not theirs.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Yes neither T-Mobile or Samsung care about the phone. You actually bought the phone, but T-Mobile is letting you pay for it over 24 months. Only if you cancel service, does T-Mobile charge you for the remaining phone balance. If say you decided to just stop paying your bill. T-Mobile doesn't send a rep to get the phone back. T-Mobile makes money off you by keeping you locked into their service for 24 months and longer. Which is why they offer JOD, to keep you with t-mobile. So it's perfectly fine to sell/trade in a phone still under EIP. If you then stop making payments, T-Mobile sends your count to collections. Again they never ask or require the phone be returned, as it's yours and not theirs.

Basically. With the eip there's no balance left by the end, which is the opposite of jump. (But they almost expect people on jump to not go all the way to the end)

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I don't understand why people keep repeating that T-Mobile owns the phone until it's paid off. If you read through the fine print of your EIP, you’ll see they do not place a lien on your smartphone, which means the provider retracts their right to repossess your phone and grants you legal ownership of it. That’s why EIPs are considered unsecured credit. You can use the phone as a hockey puck if you wish, it's your phone.

RG129

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I don't understand why people keep repeating that T-Mobile owns the phone until it's paid off. If you read through the fine print of your EIP, you’ll see they do not place a lien on your smartphone, which means the provider retracts their right to repossess your phone and grants you legal ownership of it. That’s why EIPs are considered unsecured credit. You can use the phone as a hockey puck if you wish, it's your phone.

I agree and that's what I'm trying to get confirmation of. I've seen the documentation of the unsecured credit and am just hoping to continue my EIP payments over the next year until it is paid off. It's basically a line of credit that we're obligated to pay off. VISA doesn't own everything I paid for with my credit card until the balance is paid off...

Jaytee2014

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
"8. You Are Responsible for Any Remaining Payments If you bought your Trade-In Device under an equipment installment plan or other financing plan or if you entered into a two-year service contract with your wireless service provider, you will be responsible for any and all remaining payments under such plan or contract, including any contract termination fees. As mentioned above, from time to time, Samsung may offer Promotions with terms and eligibility requirements that may differ from those described here. Please refer to our website for the most up to date Promotions and related 9."

So I can trade-in my phone under EIP which still have a balance? And continue monthly payments?

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
"8. You Are Responsible for Any Remaining Payments If you bought your Trade-In Device under an equipment installment plan or other financing plan or if you entered into a two-year service contract with your wireless service provider, you will be responsible for any and all remaining payments under such plan or contract, including any contract termination fees. As mentioned above, from time to time, Samsung may offer Promotions with terms and eligibility requirements that may differ from those described here. Please refer to our website for the most up to date Promotions and related 9."

So I can trade-in my phone under EIP which still have a balance? And continue monthly payments?

Yes, you'll still get billed by t-mobile for whatever you owe. But the phone is yours to do with what you will. You can sell it or trade it in to samsung.

Jaytee2014

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
Yes, you'll still get billed by t-mobile for whatever you owe. But the phone is yours to do with what you will. You can sell it or trade it in to samsung.

That's great.

But also according to (https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...e-in%2Fterms-and-conditions%2F&token=K-x228Zk

3. Remove Your Data and Unlock Your Trade-In Device You must remove all data, including all confidential and personal data, from your Trade-In Device before returning it to Samsung. To do so, you should return the device to its factory settings within the settings menu of the device. It is your sole responsibility to back-up any files or data from your Trade-In Device that you wish to retain prior to performing a factory data reset and before trading in your Trade-In Device. Samsung does not accept any responsibility or liability for any lost files or data or disclosure of private information that has not been removed from your Trade-In Device prior to return. Refer to the user manual or support page on Samsung’s website for how to do a factory reset on your Trade-In Device. In addition, make sure that you remove all accessories, covers, cases, locks, SIM cards and memory cards before sending the device to Samsung. Any such items sent with your Trade-In Device will not be returned.)

It says "Unlock your trade in device". How will Tmobile unlock my phone if it still have balance?

lyingfromyou

May 5, 2011
Visit site
How does that work on the other end? Wouldn't said device be locked?

That would surely be a bummer to get a refurb that you can't activate... Maybe I'm missing something, but at least with T-Mobile, you can only unlock their devices after it's bought & paid for.. right?

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
How does that work on the other end? Wouldn't said device be locked?

That would surely be a bummer to get a refurb that you can't activate... Maybe I'm missing something, but at least with T-Mobile, you can only unlock their devices after it's bought & paid for.. right?
Device is locked yes until paid off. However it is not blacklisted. Meaning someone on T mobile can activate it. If you want to trade it in it's fine. If you sell it privately and the new owner looks up the IMEI it will show on a payment plan. To my knowledge The Mobile is the only carrier to do this. But it can be used but only on T Mobile until paid off.

If you trade it in that's fine but you mist continue to pay the remaining balance off is all. Not that complicated.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucharmer