Excited for S10 but nervous to leave iMessage

kimdushinski

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
I was a very happy Android user until two years ago when I got my iPhone 6s. I'm now seriously considering getting the S10 - and quite excited about it for a variety of reasons. Pretty much the only reason I want to stay with iPhone is for iMessage.

Has anybody made the switch and offer any advice about giving up iMessage?

Busted51

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
i switch back and forth every year, and it sucks.. imessage will always be a thing and 90% of the people i know with iphones won’t use FB messenger or whatsapp.. me and my friend even go as far as uploading to youtube to share videos. if you can give up sending text videos you’ll be fine.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Use Google Photos and share pics and videos thru there. Set GP to auto back up your photos and videos to make it easier.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
iMessage is the ONLY thing I miss from not having an iPhone but it's not enough to make up for the other shortcomings of iOS and iPhones in general.

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
i switch back and forth every year, and it sucks.. imessage will always be a thing and 90% of the people i know with iphones won’t use FB messenger or whatsapp.. me and my friend even go as far as uploading to youtube to share videos. if you can give up sending text videos you’ll be fine.

I've been doing this for the past two years as well and I am over it! I am considering the S10 but I quickly revert back to the fact I will lose iMessage and can't pull the trigger.

I'd say 95% of my family and friends use iPhones and we all send video messages on the daily. This is what has stopped me from staying with Android and always running back to iOS. Sucks because the iPhone doesn't have much else to offer, but what it offers isn't available on Androids

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I was a very happy Android user until two years ago when I got my iPhone 6s. I'm now seriously considering getting the S10 - and quite excited about it for a variety of reasons. Pretty much the only reason I want to stay with iPhone is for iMessage.

Has anybody made the switch and offer any advice about giving up iMessage?

Do you send a lot of video? If so yes you will miss it -- if not then you should be fine w/ SMS.

ahaxton

May 10, 2010
Visit site
I honestly do not understand the iMessage thing. According to the most recent stats I could find, iOS has about 40% of the US Smartphone market vs about 60% for Android, so there are far more Android users than iPhone users. Why is everyone so paranoid about losing iMessage? More people should be using other messaging alternatives than are using iMessage, based on statistics. I know plenty of people in my family who have iPhones and we still manage to communicate just fine, either over Facebook Messenger or text. If you use iMessage do you just refuse to communicate with 60% of the country because they aren't using iMessage? I've never had an iPhone so I genuinely do not understand and am looking for some help here.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I honestly do not understand the iMessage thing. According to the most recent stats I could find, iOS has about 40% of the US Smartphone market vs about 60% for Android, so there are far more Android users than iPhone users. Why is everyone so paranoid about losing iMessage? More people should be using other messaging alternatives than are using iMessage, based on statistics. I know plenty of people in my family who have iPhones and we still manage to communicate just fine, either over Facebook Messenger or text. If you use iMessage do you just refuse to communicate with 60% of the country because they aren't using iMessage? I've never had an iPhone so I genuinely do not understand and am looking for some help here.
If everyone in YOUR family uses iPhone then you really don't care what 60% of people you don't know use. The big problem isn't sending the videos it is getting them.

I'm the only one in my family who doesn't use iPhone. I don't care about missing baby does this or that vids so I'm cool with it.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Well you don't understand since you have never used it :). It is the simplicity of iMessage. They use the text message app on the phone just like you use on your Android phone and it automatically uses iMessage when it can. No other app needed..no other account need .. nothing. Just use it. Text people via SMS that don't have an iPhone and use iMessage for people who do -- which means you can send HD video and other things without a hiccup.

So basically it is the fact that it is built into the application by default with zero leg work required by all the users. My family isn't tech savy and it would probably blow my moms mind if I tried to introduce "No you text here for family but the other messaging app for your friends" type of thing.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

I use both systems and have no issues. The rest of my immediate family uses iPhones. I share most of my content as opposed to sending or receiving it. If they can't Facetime because my iPhone is dead I use WhatsApp. Some people may not be as adaptive as I am but for me it's no big issue. I understand how it could be difficult for some in certain situations.

ahaxton

May 10, 2010
Visit site
But that's what I'm saying... My brother and I use Android phones... my sisters both use iPhones. My wife used to use an iPhone. We have always communicated just fine. We all send gifs, texts, images and videos to each other without problems over either text or Facebook Messenger. The people I work with (I am on a distributed team) all use a mix of android and iPhones. We all communicate just fine. So I don't understand the fear I've seen expressed on the idea of leaving iMessage. No one on my team has ever said to me (or anyone else I'm aware of) "Oh, you have an Android? I have no way of sending something to you or talking to you."

ahaxton

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Well you don't understand since you have never used it :). It is the simplicity of iMessage. They use the text message app on the phone just like you use on your Android phone and it automatically uses iMessage when it can. No other app needed..no other account need .. nothing. Just use it. Text people via SMS that don't have an iPhone and use iMessage for people who do -- which means you can send HD video and other things without a hiccup.

So basically it is the fact that it is built into the application by default with zero leg work required by all the users. My family isn't tech savy and it would probably blow my moms mind if I tried to introduce "No you text here for family but the other messaging app for your friends" type of thing.
So, is the issue HD video? Because my sisters and team mates send me images, gifs, links, stickers, etc all the time with no issues.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
So, is the issue HD video? Because my sisters and team mates send me images, gifs, links, stickers, etc all the time with no issues.

Usually yeah. The rest can go over SMS/MMS just fine. Most of the people that truly notice a difference is sending videos (such as we do between fam w/ kids and such).

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
But that's what I'm saying... My brother and I use Android phones... my sisters both use iPhones. My wife used to use an iPhone. We have always communicated just fine. We all send gifs, texts, images and videos to each other without problems over either text or Facebook Messenger. The people I work with (I am on a distributed team) all use a mix of android and iPhones. We all communicate just fine. So I don't understand the fear I've seen expressed on the idea of leaving iMessage. No one on my team has ever said to me (or anyone else I'm aware of) "Oh, you have an Android? I have no way of sending something to you or talking to you."

If you send a video via text -- actual text (not Messenger or another app) it will be compressed to crap quality by the carrier.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I don't understand why today, EVERYONE doesn't have whatsapp installed on their device. Its FREE!! When I go to South America, thats how I stay in touch with friends and fam in the states. Its also how I send my sisters who both use iphones nice videos. Pretty easy.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand why today, EVERYONE doesn't have whatsapp installed on their device. Its FREE!! When I go to South America, thats how I stay in touch with friends and fam in the states. Its also how I send my sisters who both use iphones nice videos. Pretty easy.

It is def. popular elsewhere but majority of users don't because it is another app / account to grab when they have just been able to punch in a number and text.

Simplicity goes a long way with non-tech savvy people (which is majority of the market).

ahaxton

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Usually yeah. The rest can go over SMS/MMS just fine. Most of the people that truly notice a difference is sending videos (such as we do between fam w/ kids and such).
I guess that's the thing. We don't really send video around, either professionally or in my family. If we have video we want people to see we just post it to Facebook. I still don't understand why that means people are scared to leave iMessage, because again, they must be communicating with people who don't have it already so nothing should change, but I probably never will understand. Thank all who replied.

NIZMOZ44

Feb 3, 2018
Visit site

iPhone to android and the other way get low quality pictures and video send across normal text systems. That is why iMessage is nice. The quality stays.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
It is def. popular elsewhere but majority of users don't because it is another app / account to grab when they have just been able to punch in a number and text.

Simplicity goes a long way with non-tech savvy people (which is majority of the market).

Yeah, simplicity and non-tech savvy do go hand in hand. I suppose they need to get out of the states more and see why whatsapp is such a great app, lol.