Excited for S10 but nervous to leave iMessage

Highrisedrifter

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
it's blue bubble snobbery. imessage users literally hate seeing green bubbles.

Iphone user here. We literally don't give a crap about your green bubble against our blue one. It's this sort of blinkered ignorance that keeps the isheep vs Fandroids argument going, which let's face it, is tired and old now.

I also use a Galaxy S8+, before you label me as an iSheep.

The beauty of iMessage is the integration and the ease of use. An iPhone user doesn't need any other apps to communicate with people effortlessly. That's basically it.

NIZMOZ44

Feb 3, 2018
Visit site
What irritates me is my work phone is a s9+, and my boss has a tendency to want to use my personal phone which is a xs max at the moment to text me instead of my s9+ because she likes iMessage more. Whenever she starts to text me like that, I grab my work phone and just text her back on that one. I've told her to stop texting my personal phone, but she seems to not get it.

Definitely not true -- sure some people are like that but I could find some people that are ridiculous about anything lol. I have many green bubble friends and I am part of many green group messages without an issue. Try not to just group everyone together due to a few people who are ridiculous ;).

chickweedblur

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
To answer the original question, if all your friends/family have iPhones and you trade alot of picts and video you might want to think twice. It's a pain. iPhone users see no reason to load WhatsApp (and essentially setup yet another information leak) just to communicate with you. Shared links suck, I don't care what anyone says. Not sure of the stats someone posted about Android users but in my world I can only name 1 other person that has an Adroid phone. Not one person at my office does, none of my family does, and none of my friends do. With wife and daughter I just set up WhatsApp to send more than one pict or videos. If you have level of influence, you may be fine.

Mushkie11

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
I
I honestly do not understand the iMessage thing. According to the most recent stats I could find, iOS has about 40% of the US Smartphone market vs about 60% for Android, so there are far more Android users than iPhone users. Why is everyone so paranoid about losing iMessage? More people should be using other messaging alternatives than are using iMessage, based on statistics. I know plenty of people in my family who have iPhones and we still manage to communicate just fine, either over Facebook Messenger or text. If you use iMessage do you just refuse to communicate with 60% of the country because they aren't using iMessage? I've never had an iPhone so I genuinely do not understand and am looking for some help here.

In a perfect world sure people would use a diff platform but as an iPhone owner Imesaage is the stock messaging app so therefore everyone or always everyone u talk to uses it. It's simple. Effective. Easy to send videos and photos. It's just so good. It definitely will take getting used to but it will not hold me back from switching.

Mushkie11

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Yep. If Android or iPhone started using Whatsapp as the default then it would be the next biggest thing -- just has to be integrated easily like iMessage. I to this day am still shocked Google hasn't done it with their Android Messages app.

This. Would. Be. Incredible! Try getting my 68 year old mom to understand downloading whatsapp lol.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
If you send a video via text -- actual text (not Messenger or another app) it will be compressed to crap quality by the carrier.

To be fair, MMS was never designed to handle the video demands of 2019 (let alone 2012).

medic22003

Sep 26, 2015
Visit site
i switch back and forth every year, and it sucks.. imessage will always be a thing and 90% of the people i know with iphones won’t use FB messenger or whatsapp.. me and my friend even go as far as uploading to youtube to share videos. if you can give up sending text videos you’ll be fine.

I'm pretty sure my kids use that I message crap and they get videos from me in texts. But like all kids, they respond better with snap chat so I finally relented and got that too

medic22003

Sep 26, 2015
Visit site
I

In a perfect world sure people would use a diff platform but as an iPhone owner Imesaage is the stock messaging app so therefore everyone or always everyone u talk to uses it. It's simple. Effective. Easy to send videos and photos. It's just so good. It definitely will take getting used to but it will not hold me back from switching.

When I and my kids had bb10 I used BBM alot. I still would but nobody uses it anymore.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
To be fair, MMS was never designed to handle the video demands of 2019 (let alone 2012).

Oh yeah I understand that .. still doesn't change the fact it sucks for video. RCS will solve this but.. we have to wait on carriers.

Fit24

Trusted Member
Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I was a very happy Android user until two years ago when I got my iPhone 6s. I'm now seriously considering getting the S10 - and quite excited about it for a variety of reasons. Pretty much the only reason I want to stay with iPhone is for iMessage.

Has anybody made the switch and offer any advice about giving up iMessage?
A while back I made the switch from iOS to Android; I wasn't dependent on iMessage so I was able disable it without feeling like I was losing something. For me the advantages of Android outweigh the loss of iMessage.

Darwm

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
I dont know a single person who doesnt use whatsapp. All my friends and family have iphones and no one uses imessage. Never even heard someone ever talk to me about imessage.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
To answer the original question, if all your friends/family have iPhones and you trade alot of picts and video you might want to think twice. It's a pain. iPhone users see no reason to load WhatsApp (and essentially setup yet another information leak) just to communicate with you. Shared links suck, I don't care what anyone says. Not sure of the stats someone posted about Android users but in my world I can only name 1 other person that has an Adroid phone. Not one person at my office does, none of my family does, and none of my friends do. With wife and daughter I just set up WhatsApp to send more than one pict or videos. If you have level of influence, you may be fine.

How do shared links suck?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
This. Would. Be. Incredible! Try getting my 68 year old mom to understand downloading whatsapp lol.

I guess it's a region thing.

All my older relatives, including my parents know how to use WhatsApp, Line, Viber, and Facebook Messenger.

kimdushinski

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
So, the attraction to iMessage for me is group texts that work seamlessly. I have several family and friend groups that are all on iPhone - so group texts just work. I don't send a lot of videos, but I do send photos all the time. I've forgotten - can you not send photos in Android texts?

chickweedblur

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
How do shared links suck?

You're at a birthday party or kids soccer game and take a picture or video. iPhone users press two buttons to send and move on.

Let's see...I have to upload to Google photos or Amazon or ??. Wait for it to upload or force it to upload most of the time if you want it instantly - especially if you're not using wifi. Go into that app, find it, permission it, and send a link to the other person. Also, they may have fixed it since, but not that long ago, if you tried it with Google photos, the recipient had to have a Google account - which most Apple users don't.

I'm not saying it won't work, but getting a pict or video via your messaging app is alot more convenient than sending links to people and I am a dedicated Android user. As I said, I can force the wife and daughter to use WhatsApp when I need to send them something and honestly don't lose too much sleep over not sending more than a single picture to other people.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I guess it's a region thing.

All my older relatives, including my parents know how to use WhatsApp, Line, Viber, and Facebook Messenger.

It will definitely vary from person to person and family. Mine just is very not tech savvy so.. hence iMessage being easy. Mom knows she can send me video whereas she can't to my bro. Does she know why? Hell no. Lol